Tapered Training

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
Winmarvellous wrote:It was around 2006 or thereabouts I think. Went into this loaded training routine (Craig's first or second year at the helm) about round 18, and crashed and burned.

EVERY TEAM DOES IT FFS AND HAS DONE IT FOR MANY YEARS

Tappering doesn't mean you win it just helps, and if everyone is doing if you don't you are behind the eight ball.
strange answer
:roll:

:wink: :wink:

saint4life
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Just people trying to say that we shouldn't do it because did it (as well as everyone else that year would've done it) and got knocked out of the finals therefore it is bad.

asiu

Get a hungy on the sainters for the flag you won't get odds this good for the rest of the season...
theres a smart man

first goal to the roos yesterday was 4 bucks , they were tens .....

Winmarvellous
Club Player

I know nothing about this tapering thing, all I know is what I've heard. I'm sure everyone does it now, but I only first remember hearing about it when Neil Craig got his boys into it and it failed misreably. Don't shoot me for it. Just relaying what I know of it. If it fails us this year I won't be a fan, if we win it works. Results are all that matters.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure RL(Swans flag), SOS(Blues flag), Tudor(Cats flag) etc are not sitting there twiddling their thumbs wondering how they should train the team for the finals -I think they have a reasonable idea!!

hotdish
Club Player

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Tapered training, what rubbish.

Resting players, then bringing them back en masse has flirted with our form and intensity.

Hopefully we get it all back together in the next 2 weeks.

as i have been saying for about 8 weeks.....you don't f*** with form......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Tapered training, what rubbish.

Resting players, then bringing them back en masse has flirted with our form and intensity.

Hopefully we get it all back together in the next 2 weeks.

as i have been saying for about 8 weeks.....you don't f*** with form......
Would you both be dark if our form had suffered as a result of being up so long?

markp
Saintsational Legend

That's a really interesting read....

Certainly explains everything we've been seeing.

Flirting with form, or making the most of the draw and advantage we gave ourselves by getting so far ahead on the ladder?.... I say the latter, but we'll know in a month.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

As I mentioned in a thread on tapering that I started a while back...our ladder position and lack of injuries has placed us in a position where we can taper better than any other team in the AFL this year..... and almost any year.

The Cats had a good ladder position too...but their large pool of injuries would be interfering with tapering as they would not be abe to train their injured players hard.

IMO how tired many of our players looked in the Dons and Roos matches is no co-incidence.

Come Sept..watch out...our boys are going to be ready to rock and roll!!!!!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
Would you both be dark if our form had suffered as a result of being up so long?
Very interesting point.

Mark Thompson said in an interview last week that Geelong made that mistake last year.

Their mistake was that they didn't rest players. They were spent by GF day.

He also said that perhaps they rested too many guys against Brisbane, but didn't regret the concept of resting players.

I guess you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

This is what the fitness dudes get paid for, they know the players' physical states better than anyone. You need to trust them I think.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I strongly suspect RL, SOS, Tudor etc.. probably know what training is required to win a flag, and after all, that's where the whole focus is now, not flashy form in the last few home and away games which mean nothing to us.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
Very interesting point.

Mark Thompson said in an interview last week that Geelong made that mistake last year.

Their mistake was that they didn't rest players. They were spent by GF day.

He also said that perhaps they rested too many guys against Brisbane, but didn't regret the concept of resting players.

I guess you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

This is what the fitness dudes get paid for, they know the players' physical states better than anyone. You need to trust them I think.
It just bothers me that those who are critical of resting players, offer no alternatives other than "don't flirt with form" or something similar. Be honest, would you be as critical if we had we arrived at September completely worn out....ours being such an exhausting game style?

I am also not convinced of the argument that intensity cannot be turned on at will. Intensity comes with motivation, and unlike some on here, I am not worried that the hunger for the ulimate success has suddenly vanished....

markp
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote: It just bothers me that those who are critical of resting players, offer no alternatives other than "don't flirt with form" or something similar. Be honest, would you be as critical if we had we arrived at September completely worn out....ours being such an exhausting game style?

I am also not convinced of the argument that intensity cannot be turned on at will. Intensity comes with motivation, and unlike some on here, I am not worried that the hunger for the ulimate success has suddenly vanished....
I think 'flirting with form' is probably in the same category as 'kick it down the guts'.... it just aint that simple.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
It just bothers me that those who are critical of resting players, offer no alternatives other than "don't flirt with form" or something similar. Be honest, would you be as critical if we had we arrived at September completely worn out....ours being such an exhausting game style?

I agree with you.

Hypothetically, if we were spent by the time the GF came around, you'd look back and say 'My god, what were they thinking? They had top spot wrapped up and didn't plan to peak for Septmber!!'

It seriously would like complete amatuer hour and a massive error in judgement.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:

I agree with you.

Hypothetically, if we were spent by the time the GF came around, you'd look back and say 'My god, what were they thinking? They had top spot wrapped up and didn't plan to peak for Septmber!!'

It seriously would like complete amatuer hour and a massive error in judgement.
and I agree with you...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think we will see the "real" Saints back this weekend...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

For mine, as much as NOT winning makes me physically ill, I must admit the adage 'never flirt with form' has all the hallmarks of springing from the age of 'kick it long to Carey' ... bit dinosaurish... I trust the mob running the show ...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
asiu

tend to agree

think we are moving into a time of rotating through a larger playing squad , sharing spots just to keep up with the game and good health

yipper
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:I think we will see the "real" Saints back this weekend...
Possibly not. The easing up on training will have started probably from this week. They should be able to run the game out this week strongly - but would think they will be probably flying and most certainly cherry ripe by next week's first finals match.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I dont think we have changed our training at all apart from the guys that have been rested for a game each. It has not increased at all and will not decrease either. Some sides do it, some dont. Sydney didnt do it under Misson and neither have we.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 27 Aug 2009 3:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

yipper
SS Life Member

Perhaps there is a lot more cross training going on at present - such as more arduous swimming routines, hard bike riding - more time in the gym on the weights etc.. Maybe not visible training out on the track.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I think we will see the "real" Saints back this weekend...
and if we don't then the back stabbing will start, and and the fans will say that we won't even win 1 final never mind getting into the grand final!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I dont think we have changed our training at all apart from the guys that have been rested for a game each. It has not increased at all and will not decrease either. Some sides do it, some dont. Sydney didnt do it under Misson and neither have we.
so if we have not changed the trianing, why have the saints not played well?

and will or can the saints just change the way they play and suddenly 'turn it on'????

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I dont think we have changed our training at all apart from the guys that have been rested for a game each. It has not increased at all and will not decrease either. Some sides do it, some dont. Sydney didnt do it under Misson and neither have we.
so if we have not changed the trianing, why have the saints not played well?

and will or can the saints just change the way they play and suddenly 'turn it on'????
We arent playing well because we cant get the contested ball and i would suggest that has little to do with training. Plenty to do with attitude.