Believing in Ross?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:GT laid the foundations for an emotion driven, against the odds, downtrodden footy club triumph - and failed.

Ross The Boss has laid the foundations for a team of people to succeed. He allows them to express themselves, within a team ethic the competition has never seen before.

We play team football the likes of which have never been seen before. You do not become the hardest side to score against in the history of the game, in this era, if you are a bunch of self serving prime donnas.

This side is on it's way. They won't let us, or themselves, down, believe me.

Ross Lyon can coach, and I've said it from day freakin' 1.
SPOT ON Thommo....and Im happy to say I too was onboard from day 1.

Actually the emotion point you make is a ripper - that gets you so far...then what.......Lyon has the "what".

“Yeah….nah””
SaintDebi
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Ross Lyon can coach, and I've said it from day freakin' 1.[/quote wrote:
SPOT ON Thommo....and Im happy to say I too was onboard from day 1.
Well, I wasn't. I had big doubts about Ross and his "Sydney game plan" and was ready to get rid of him almost before he started.

I am well and truly onboard now, however, and my apologies to Ross for ever doubting him.

I am happy to now categorically state that I was very wrong, and I am glad that I was.

And my turnaround is not simply because we are winning now. I'm not going to turn on him if/when we drop a game. I'm not going to revert back if he doesn't deliver the flag this year.

Ross Lyon has proved he can coach. He has a head for football and an ability to communicate and direct efficiently. He can be both proactive and reactive (the biggest thing lacking in GT in my own opinion).

Well done Ross. You have won me over.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I am happy to now categorically state that I was very wrong, and I am glad that I was.
That sort of attitude is not welcome on this Forum ;-);-);-) 8-) :D

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SaintDebi
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
That sort of attitude is not welcome on this Forum ;-);-);-) 8-) :D
Sorry! I think I was a sperm in a former life.....
I like to swim against the tide! :wink:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
If you said Lyon could coach on day 1 - you were wrong. Very wrong.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Aye i concur, im a ross convert.

the evidence of what we've done so far is impressive.

even if we don't win the premiership at this point i can't fault the coach.

who'd have thunked it?!

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Believing in Ross?

rodgerfox wrote:
Whilst we have the stars out there,

, none of his poor decisions will even be noticed.
Sorry Rodge..we are still waiting for you to list all these poor decisions ...you know...the ones that you have noticed.

The ones that are evidently only masked by our stars.

I mean there is no point claiming that Lyon makes poor decisions without stating precisely what they are.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 26 Jul 2009 3:52am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Johnny Favier
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
On the contrary RF...When Lyon came in, it's well documented that he knew exactly what list deficiencies and aspects of our style of play needed to be addressed - and if my memory serves me correctly, it's one of the main things that impressed the coach selection panel.

Not unreasonably, it's taken 2 seasons to both rectify the holes in our list and adopt a different style of play that will stand up in big games.
It's one thing to know what needs changing, and another in actually getting the team to apply the changes on game day - something Ross and his support crew have excelled at over the last 12 months.
Ross himself admitted he made a few minor changes to the way he approached his coaching last season, but IMO he's known exactly where he's been heading from day one.

We are now seeing the fruits of the changes he and the coaching panel have implemented since he came onboard.

IMO Ross Lyon has turned this club around from day one, and as a result we now have our best chance in 43 years at winning a flag.

Just my 2 bob's worth....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Whilst we have the stars out there,

Lets see..not Gardi no Kosi, no Ball,, so that is three stars out..so how did RL's "poor decisions" go against the Dogs??

So folks look like we have a contender for Tool of the week!!!!
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 26 Jul 2009 3:53am, edited 1 time in total.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Lets see..not Gardi no Kosi, no ball that is three stars out..so how did RL's "poor decisions" go against the Dogs??

So folks look like we have a winner for Tool of the century!!!!
Edited for accuracy

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I thinka certain someone thought the Dogs were going to win and he was going to come on post-game with chapter and verse how Lyon lost it...with all his "poor-decisions"...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Still waiting for that list of Lyon's "poor decisions" ????

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Interesting deiscussion on MMM on Saturday with Taylor and Damien Barrett going at GT over his rotating captaincy issue.

Apart from the questioning of Barretts intelligence (which was hysterical) and if he had ever played a game of football in his life (even better), he made the very good point that the STKFC had a culture of messiah worship i.e. individual more than team.

he wanted to infuse team as the No.1 priority and that, after all, is what footy is all about.

Reckoned that leadership was something that was sadly lacking at the club.

Was he right? Was he wrong? Draw your own conclusions.

Thomas did not take any credit for our team orientated play ATM, but in my opinion Thomas laid the foundations for Ross Lyon to build on.

In my opinion Thomas deserves credit for this effort to begin to change the individualistic culture at St.Kilda.

Lyon, whom I think is a better football coach, had this foundation at his disposal when he took over, and is now, through his and his players efforts, planning, preparation, and professionalism, are reaping the rewards.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
asiu

he wanted to infuse team as the No.1 priority and that, after all, is what footy is all about.
agreed

saw the 'obvious' need , and executed change

gets my thanx and appreciation , fwtw

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Favier wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
On the contrary RF...When Lyon came in, it's well documented that he knew exactly what list deficiencies and aspects of our style of play needed to be addressed - and if my memory serves me correctly, it's one of the main things that impressed the coach selection panel.

Not unreasonably, it's taken 2 seasons to both rectify the holes in our list and adopt a different style of play that will stand up in big games.
It's one thing to know what needs changing, and another in actually getting the team to apply the changes on game day - something Ross and his support crew have excelled at over the last 12 months.
Ross himself admitted he made a few minor changes to the way he approached his coaching last season, but IMO he's known exactly where he's been heading from day one.

We are now seeing the fruits of the changes he and the coaching panel have implemented since he came onboard.

IMO Ross Lyon has turned this club around from day one, and as a result we now have our best chance in 43 years at winning a flag.

Just my 2 bob's worth....
We'll have to disagree on this.

Lyon arrived and had no clue.

He couldn't speak to the media. He thought coaching was easy. He was smug and a touch arrogant publicly.

He wasn't getting good footy out of the good players.

And was getting worse footy out of the ordinary players.

He recruited poorly too.

His game plan was putrid.

His assistants didn't have a clue.

The Ross Lyon we see coaching our club today, is a very, very different beast to what we saw for the first 12 months.

If people thought he was on the right track in his first year - they were wrong. Even Lyon realised this. And he changed things accordingly.

The style of play we see now is perfect. The style of play back then, was woeful and a direct copy of the rubbish that pinched Sydney a flag.

It took a change in assistants, and an idea or two pinched frmo the Cats to get us playing the way we are now.

Lyon didn't believe this was the way to win footy matches early on. He obviously does now. He was wrong then, and he is right now.

Leigh Tudor, David Misson and Lenny Hayes are the ones that I would be getting cast in bronze at the moment.

They are the difference between us playing the way we are right now, as opposed to way we played over the past 6.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It also took time to win over the players, for them to have confidence in what Ross stood for and the parts of the game he holds important.

Roo spoke about this OTC last night, the boys are quite honest in their lack of application to Ross Lyons expectations up until Dal and Milne were dropped. He said that they steadily improved from then knowing that they were accountable.

You seem surprised that a large group of players, could be resistant to change and behave accordingly?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Whatever helps you sleep at night rodge...... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

According to you he went from the worst coach in the caper to the best in 12 months?..... Shame GT or even Timmy couldn't learn that fast.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Lyon was freakin ordinary in his first year.

Full Stop. He was. And he handled it poorly.

BUT

Full credit to him, as he obviously can adapt and change his philosophy by bringing in a very good footy people around him. And actually LISTENING to opinion.

I dont care about this shyt. I dont dwell on such things. All of this is absolutely moot at the moment. Why on earth would you want to pay any attention to Rossy's first two years when he has put together this season.

On top of this, I reckon his/their matchday work this year has been fkn brilliant.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
markp
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: I dont care about this shyt. I dont dwell on such things. All of this is absolutely moot at the moment. Why on earth would you want to pay any attention to Rossy's first two years when he has put together this season.
+1

It's like we're cruising down the Nile past some of the world's greatest wonders, and all some want to do is argue over who owes what from breakfast.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Whatever helps you sleep at night rodge...... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

According to you he went from the worst coach in the caper to the best in 12 months?..... Shame GT or even Timmy couldn't learn that fast.
According to me??

I never said anything of the sort.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

According to me??

Liar. :roll: :wink:

I. Dont. Care.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Still 7 seeks to go though :P

I will Kiss Ross Lyon's arse for the next ten years if he gets us a flag.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

According to me??

I. Dont. Care.
Obviously. You clearly didn't read what I wrote.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

According to me??

I. Dont. Care.
Obviously. You clearly didn't read what I wrote.
Are you enjoying this season rodge?.... excited even?

If what you are trying to do is reconcile what you thought and said in the past to now.... give it a rest.

Who really cares?

Just enjoy. Please.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think a re-read of Rogers post there may be of order....

Here, I'll quote it for ease of use:
Lyon arrived and had no clue.

He couldn't speak to the media. He thought coaching was easy. He was smug and a touch arrogant publicly.

He wasn't getting good footy out of the good players.

And was getting worse footy out of the ordinary players.

He recruited poorly too.

His game plan was putrid.

His assistants didn't have a clue.

The Ross Lyon we see coaching our club today, is a very, very different beast to what we saw for the first 12 months.

If people thought he was on the right track in his first year - they were wrong. Even Lyon realised this. And he changed things accordingly.

The style of play we see now is perfect. The style of play back then, was woeful and a direct copy of the rubbish that pinched Sydney a flag.

It took a change in assistants, and an idea or two pinched frmo the Cats to get us playing the way we are now.

Lyon didn't believe this was the way to win footy matches early on. He obviously does now. He was wrong then, and he is right now.

Leigh Tudor, David Misson and Lenny Hayes are the ones that I would be getting cast in bronze at the moment.

They are the difference between us playing the way we are right now, as opposed to way we played over the past 6.
fair post IMO

If anything, I would give a touch more credit to Ross, since he does call the shots. Some people do not have it in their personality to change, or rethink ideas.

Sure, Ross surrounded himself with some proven football minds. And he had the balls to change his system, taking full utilisation of these people.

If he was more pig headed like some other past coaches, we may have been paying top dollar for assistant coaches that dont get a look in.