RIVALRY Round ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:Historically, South Melbourne (Battle of the Lake), and more recently I suppose we could say Sydney as they pinched Lockett, Everitt & Hall (although we got a good deal out of the Lockett trade, and best to see the back of Hall & Everitt anyway).

More recently Geelong was supposed to be the great rival, but they prospered and we faltered.

It could be WB, I suppose. The AFL has paired us up in recent years for rivalry round for no discernable reason. But this year we are both travelling ok, we have won only one flag each and if they beat us this weekend - we will hate them. With a bit of luck we may meet them again in the GF.
Can you remind me which bits of the Lockett deal were good...i keep thinking of Josh Kitchen when i think of that trade period...

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Here's what i've found on it...

Sydney was again involved in a three way trade, but unlike the 'Williams deal', the 'Lockett deal' was of their own making. Sydney gained Tony Lockett, St Kilda gained Robert Neill. Hawthorn sent Joshua Kitchen and Glen Nugent to St Kilda and received Simon Minton-Connell from Sydney in return. A host of draft picks balanced up the deal.

We kicked ass on that deal.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thought I'd bump this thread...been a bit happen since last year, are we feeling like Doggies have become more of a rival in recent times?

They will build it up with footage of the qualifying final last year for sure...

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

There's no real long standing rivalry between the Saints / WB at all IMO

I reckon the only real rivalries are, Carlton v Collingwood, having a derby in WA and SA, and Swans v Brisbane Lions makes sense.....

Saints v WB seems like they just threw the leftovers in together :shock:

Stand your ground :shock:
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Stinger, we used to play for the Lakeside Premiership would you believe! And the winner got to fly a pennant to that effect, until they lost it.
Nowadays it doesnt matter who they team us against, I hate them all.