Changes this week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu

insurance in '09

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:So essentially it's being said that Goose is not a backman and Goose is not much of a forward...so what is he...trade bait.....
a strong key position player who has been kept out of a team that is 16-0 by players like koschitzke, blake and dawson.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'll give it a go

IN Ball, Gardiner, Max

OUT Kosi, Zac (Suspension)

saintly
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:what happens if Max and goose play blinders would it keep Zac out for the rest of the year?
yes, now that would be interesting. i wonder what the saints would do then!

i would hate to be in on the match committee then

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Again...

All these poster that what Goose in this week, have you seen him play in the last 4 matches???

Just how good is he going??

Some posters that want Goose in, live interstate and have no real idea on how he is playing, but for some reason want him in the side to play FF against Brian Lake.

Can someone who has seen Goose play within the last 4 matches report on whether he deserves to get a game?

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:Again...

All these poster that what Goose in this week, have you seen him play in the last 4 matches???

Some posters that want Goose in, live interstate and have no real idea on how he is playing, but for some reason want him in the side to play FF against Brian Lake.

Can someone who has seen Goose play within the last 4 matches report on whether he deserves to get a game?
Seen 2 or 3( not sure) of them and the answer probably isnt that simple. On form he wouldnt get a game but because of Kosi out it depends what sort of forward line we want. IMO he shouldnt play but I think RL will go with him this week.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Seen 2 or 3( not sure) of them and the answer probably isnt that simple. On form he wouldnt get a game but because of Kosi out it depends what sort of forward line we want. IMO he shouldnt play but I think RL will go with him this week.
Thanks plugger66, I just hope they pick the side on FORM and NOT for sentimental reasons, if his form does not warrant a game, he should not play ahead of a player who does IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:Can someone who has seen Goose play within the last 4 matches report on whether he deserves to get a game?
i'm wondering how many times you've seen him play this season to make the call on his career.

i went down to see him a few weeks ago at sandringham. he played a solid game in the backline. as far as i know, he's played in the forward line twice this season for two bags of five goals.

i'd argue he deserves a shot as a like-for-like replacement for kosi (whose form has been average anyway in the past fortnight), maintaining a structure that has served us well this season.

does it guarantee that we win on saturday? no, but my reasoning is sound.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Last time we played the Dogs, we only had 1 genuine ruckman, Gardiner.

Kosi played too, from memory King was injured against PA the week before.

For me it depends on the fitness of Max and Gardiner.

If Max is fit he'll be in for Zac, no doubt about it.

If Gardiner is fit, McEvoy will go for him IMO.

As for the Kosi replacement, I'm not sure...

...Goose, Gwilt or a midfielder???

The only way Goose will get a game is if RL thinks we need 2 talls on the forward line, and even then he's no certainty for that roll. And I can't see him coming in as a defender as I'm not sure he has a match up if Max comes in...If Max is not fit the Gooses chances are better.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Thanks plugger66, I just hope they pick the side on FORM and NOT for sentimental reasons, if his form does not warrant a game, he should not play ahead of a player who does IMO
It will not be sentimental but it could be balance before form.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:Can someone who has seen Goose play within the last 4 matches report on whether he deserves to get a game?
i'm wondering how many times you've seen him play this season to make the call on his career.

i went down to see him a few weeks ago at sandringham. he played a solid game in the backline. as far as i know, he's played in the forward line twice this season for two bags of five goals.

i'd argue he deserves a shot as a like-for-like replacement for kosi (whose form has been average anyway in the past fortnight), maintaining a structure that has served us well this season.

does it guarantee that we win on saturday? no, but my reasoning is sound.
WTF...

Am I making a call on his career???

I have not seen him play and that's why I asked the question...

are you that dumb :roll:

If his latest form does not warrant a game he does not deserve to play ahead of someone that does IMO.

If his form was good then he should play...

I was only asking a question FFS :roll:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sometimes sentiment can be a valuable tool. Goose may or may not deserve his spot, but one thing appears clear, and that is the blokes appear to love him. Bringing him back for his 100th, where we might be a little undermanned/tired could be just the tonic to get the boys to really spark up.

Goose would know his chances are running out, and would be pumped to give absoloutely everything. For what it's worth, I reckon it's worth a punt this week. In some respects it's almost worth the gamble as well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Sometimes sentiment can be a valuable tool. Goose may or may not deserve his spot, but one thing appears clear, and that is the blokes appear to love him. Bringing him back for his 100th, where we might be a little undermanned/tired could be just the tonic to get the boys to really spark up.

Goose would know his chances are running out, and would be pumped to give absoloutely everything. For what it's worth, I reckon it's worth a punt this week. In some respects it's almost worth the gamble as well.
I'll bet on that.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:I have not seen him play and that's why I asked the question
okay, that's all i wanted to know. you'd be in no better position to judge whether he should play than a lot of others then.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 22 Jul 2009 8:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

From what I've seen and read I don't think the form of any in Sandy would warrant pushing out a player in the current 22 but injury and suspension dictates someone must come up. I think our style and structure dictates, as said above, like for like which to me green lights the return of Max and Goose for Zac and Kosi and if Gardi's fit then he must play at the expense of Ben.

PJ
SS Life Member

Keep it simple

Max in for Zac (he'll take Johnno)
Gardy in for Kosi

Tall forward to be a combination of McEvoy & Gardiner. As little change as possible then Kosi straight back in the following week.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Keep it simple

Max in for Zac (he'll take Johnno)
Gardy in for Kosi

Tall forward to be a combination of McEvoy & Gardiner. As little change as possible then Kosi straight back in the following week.
MG isnt a forward and neither is Ben.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:I have not seen him play and that's why I asked the question
okay, that's all i wanted to know. you'd be in no better position to judge whether he should play than a lot of others then.
Thanks Captain Obvious...

I thought it was clear that I have not seen him play and was asking a question for posters that have seen him play :roll:

And I have never stated that he SHOULD or SHOULDN'T play for starters

HAVE ANOTHER FARKEN READ! OR HAVE ANOTHER DRINK!

:roll:

AlpineStars
Club Player

Havn't seen him play and don't know if he is going to, but watch out who ever is on him because he will be out to make a statement.

Wake me up when September ends.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:And I have never stated that he SHOULD or SHOULDN'T play for starters
so do you think he should or shouldn't?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:And I have never stated that he SHOULD or SHOULDN'T play for starters
I can't answer that.

As you have clearly stated that I am not in a position to.

But you also claim that a lot of other posters suggest he should play and are in a better position to make a comment.

Have this "lots of others" that have suggested he should be in seen him play??

You seem to have stated that they have?

And your comment that I am making a call on his career is totally out of line.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
I can't answer that. As you have clearly stated that I am not in a position to.

no, really. i'd like to hear your opinion on it.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
I can't answer that. As you have clearly stated that I am not in a position to.

no, really. i'd like to hear your opinion on it.
FFS

I cannot give an opinion if I don't know how he has played.

Many others may, but I suggest that is more hope than actually watching him play.

and just why are you so interested in my opinion if I have not seen him play?

If he deserves a game he should play, if his form is not up there the Club should play someone who has been playing well.

That's all I can say on the matter

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:I cannot give an opinion if I don't know how he has played.
fair enough. i thought you might be one of the posters who have already decided his time at st kilda is over. i apologise if i offended you,

kannus_

Theres a big difference between form in the VFl and playing in the AFL. Can someone cast their mind back to QF win against Adelaide. Gwilt kicking three goals and had spent most the year playing VFL seconds.

Has anyone seen Maguire play under a roof this year. Or play with 22 blokes that he trains with week in or out. How about the standard of disposal in the AFL compared to the VFL. You cant judge how an AFL player is going to play in the AFL on VFL form alone. Completely different stage.

What you have to ask is has he shown enough to warrant a selection. Has he done the right things in the VFL. Tackle hard, chase hard, create a presence on the field.

Will he fit into the team and our structure. Can we afford to leave Rooey out as the only forward. Is Blake good enough to play as a key forward. How will it affect the team balance is Goodard has to play forward all day.

Ill will also ask how was Kosi's game on Sunday and the one against WC. Didnt have big impacts however we still won.

So could Maguire play a hard hitting, pack breaking Kosi role. If we dont need Kosi kicking goals to win games why do we need Goose to come in and kick a bag. He just needs to play his role.

My Ins: Maguire Hudghton Lynch Gardiner

Out: Eddy McEvoy and the obvious Kosi and Zac

We can all have our opinions on this but we won't find out if we are wrong or right unless Goose gets a game.

One more idea. RL has obviously done something right this year considering we are 16-0. I think we are pretty safe to trust whatever decision he makes will be the right one.