Wake-up call for Bally?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I really wish the club would come out and say what's going on with him and why he's playing so little. If they have a game plan with him it would be nice to hear it. It's not like they'd be giving away national secrets. I don't think it would be at all unreasonable to tell the fans and members what his situation is. They seem to be very paranoid about things like that.
maybe not a national secret ....but should be kept in house all the same......

why? given how gossipy the footy world is, all the other clubs know what's going on, i'm sure. they've got scouts and things to help them find out. so who is it being hidden from? supporters, i guess. seems silly.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

That was a good call Doggerel. You were a week early but some of the responses were way off the mark.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
starsign
Club Player

wake up call be buggered
you blokes got any idea whats going on with Bally !

perhaps we all haven't much of an idea as to the exact nature of his problems at present , but hell ....blind Freddy can see the he has been kept in kid gloves and very carefully managed ie time on field over the past few weeks

and saved for the final Q if and when the game needs to be won!!

he ain't been dropped for F@#$s sake ..... try managed!!!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:wake up call be buggered

perhaps we all haven't much of an idea as to the exact nature of his problems at present , but hell ....blind Freddy can see the he has been kept in kid gloves and very carefully managed ie time on field over the past few weeks

Maybe it should state

IN: King, Schnieder

OUT: McEvoy (omitted) Ball (managed)

Until then don't blame others for assuming he has been omitted and the club announces he has been omitted.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Good move, Rest him up nicely. Im not one for the inane resting theory, but we all know he isnt right, and hasnt been for a number of years.

Remeber the hammy last year , lost him for the finals. He IS one player that needs micro management.

howlinwolf
Club Player

If there ever was a player that never needed a wake up call it is Luke Ball.

The guy ALWAYS gives everything and leaves nothing left in his body.

If he isn't going well it wil only be due to an injury slowing him down.

Sorry, but this is an absolute rubbish title to this thread.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
starsign
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
starsign wrote:wake up call be buggered

Maybe it should state

IN: King, Schnieder

OUT: McEvoy (omitted) Ball (managed)

Until then don't blame others for assuming he has been omitted and the club announces he has been omitted.
Until then don't blame others
hello you sure your on the right planet or are you from a distant doughnut???

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

From RealFooty:

Lyon has ruled out resting players at this point of the season, and football manager Greg Hutchison confirmed Ball's omission was form-related.

"The coach has spoken to Luke about areas where he needs to improve, and we've taken a lot of things into account, and unfortunately in Luke's case, he's made way," Hutchison said.

"He's obviously disappointed, but he understands it's a team game and there's areas he's got to improve on and work on."

S.A Saint
Club Player

thirty-seven!? wrote:From RealFooty:

Lyon has ruled out resting players at this point of the season, and football manager Greg Hutchison confirmed Ball's omission was form-related.

"The coach has spoken to Luke about areas where he needs to improve, and we've taken a lot of things into account, and unfortunately in Luke's case, he's made way," Hutchison said.

"He's obviously disappointed, but he understands it's a team game and there's areas he's got to improve on and work on."
that's nice since sandy has a bye this weekend :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

claystreet
Club Player

Its called a groin

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

claystreet wrote:Its called a groin
Exactly right. Anyone that thinks he isn't having his game time managed with as little media attention as possible is deluded.

He'll be back with some remark about training form having had a week off.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
claystreet wrote:Its called a groin
Exactly right. Anyone that thinks he isn't having his game time managed with as little media attention as possible is deluded.

He'll be back with some remark about training form having had a week off.
The problem with that is his game time is consistantly 60% all year except the Geelong game. Unless he was injured against WCE he is dropped.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Right Plugger, except that he didin't get 60% game time in the past two weeks did he? And the 60% load throughout the year is less than other mids, which is sensible given his injury history. Quite possibly also being planned to be more than 60% in September games?

I seriously doubt that BAll has been dropped. I don't doubt he is being managed and I would be surprised if the body is further from 100% than it was a week or two back.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:Right Plugger, except that he didin't get 60% game time in the past two weeks did he? And the 60% load throughout the year is less than other mids, which is sensible given his injury history. Quite possibly also being planned to be more than 60% in September games?

I seriously doubt that BAll has been dropped. I don't doubt he is being managed and I would be surprised if the body is further from 100% than it was a week or two back.
I think he got over 60% last week which was his average. He will never play at 100% again because of his injury. Whether he was dropped or rested his form is struggling and that is what I think we will get for the rest of the year.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

He was dropped, get over it.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I really wish the club would come out and say what's going on with him and why he's playing so little. If they have a game plan with him it would be nice to hear it. It's not like they'd be giving away national secrets. I don't think it would be at all unreasonable to tell the fans and members what his situation is. They seem to be very paranoid about things like that.
maybe not a national secret ....but should be kept in house all the same......

why? given how gossipy the footy world is, all the other clubs know what's going on, i'm sure. they've got scouts and things to help them find out. so who is it being hidden from? supporters, i guess. seems silly.
Exactly my view. Seems ridiculous.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

thirty-seven!? wrote:From RealFooty:

If that's the case, and I've just read the article that contains that quote, it's a very gutsy move. "Fortune" favours "the brave". I love it! (That they had the chops to do it, not that Bally's out.) They mean business.
This is like a "pre-emptive strike". Unlike some on here, they don't want to wait till we start losing till they fix things that aren't working as well as they can be. Very glad to see it. (Although it doesn't mean they've necessarily done enough to ensure we win on Sunday.)

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Badlands
Club Player

When I heard Ball would miss this week, I immediately thought back to this thread too.

The author of the OP (ughh - no pun intended!) was rubbished on here for quite fairly drawing attention to the fact that Ball was named on the bench, and he was right - how often is Ball really ever named on the bench?

Now there's every chance Bally's just being given a rest because he is struggling with injury (and hope that's the case), but the fact he's been left out only a matter of weeks after being named on the bench for the first time I can remember, so although it won't happen, OP is probably owed an apology - it was a good spot.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Badlands wrote:When I heard Ball would miss this week, I immediately thought back to this thread too.

The author of the OP (ughh - no pun intended!) was rubbished on here for quite fairly drawing attention to the fact that Ball was named on the bench, and he was right - how often is Ball really ever named on the bench?

Now there's every chance Bally's just being given a rest because he is struggling with injury (and hope that's the case), but the fact he's been left out only a matter of weeks after being named on the bench for the first time I can remember, so although it won't happen, OP is probably owed an apology - it was a good spot.
He was rubbished because naming him on the bench would not have been a wake up call. The players are given the side each week and each week Bally starts on the bench. This time he was named there for us to see but Bally would know where he is playing before us

Badlands
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:This time he was named there for us to see
But why all of a sudden if, as you say, "each week Bally starts on the bench"? He never gets named on the bench. Surely more than a coincidence?

By the way I'm not endorsing the 'wake-up call' sentiment, but I now think being named on the bench was a sign that the match committee were acknowledging he was struggling and in his current physical condition, had dropped a spot or two in the pecking order. I don't have any problems with that if it is the case.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
Red
Club Player

In my opinion he's gone backwards this year.

The rest of the midfield seem to be able to get their own contested ball

unlike last year and to be honest some are far more elite runners.

This has mean't more bench time which I believe has effected his form

especially in the last month

I thought he may play as the defensive forward with his tackling ability but

mini has played it to perfection.

Hopefully they find a more permanent position for him

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Badlands wrote:When I heard Ball would miss this week, I immediately thought back to this thread too.

He was rubbished because naming him on the bench would not have been a wake up call. The players are given the side each week and each week Bally starts on the bench. This time he was named there for us to see but Bally would know where he is playing before us

Being named on the bench in an extended squad is very different I would tend to believe. Yeah the players know where they are always going to start....but being on an extended bench usually means theres a chance of not playing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Being named on the bench in an extended squad is very different I would tend to believe. Yeah the players know where they are always going to start....but being on an extended bench usually means theres a chance of not playing.
No it doesnt. They know the side already. It means nothing. Do you honestly think Luke Ball was told Friday he wasnt playing this week. Well I have a strong feeling he may have been told very early in the week.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

from what i remember he has been named on the bench twice. last week against the eagles and also against geelong.

ace
Saintsational Legend

No wake up call required this Sunday - he gets to sleep-in, rest up, and go to the game late in the afternoon like the rest of us. :wink:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA