Now that a top 2 spot is all but ours.......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beej
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I reckon it can be done. I'm sure Football Manager fans will agree :wink:
:lol:

And totally agree with your point too.

I think today, more than ever before, sides err on the side of caution.

I'm sure Ablett didn't have to miss both the two games he missed earlier this season, but they opted to manage him.

Not giving players a rest when they need can have a detrimental affect not only on a player's body, but also his confidence when his body starts to fail.

The one player on our side that I worry about is Riewoldt. It seems like almost every game now where he falls awkwardly and is seen limping.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
evertonfc wrote:I reckon it can be done. I'm sure Football Manager fans will agree :wink:

I'm sure Ablett didn't have to miss both the two games he missed earlier this season, but they opted to manage him.

Not giving players a rest when they need can have a detrimental affect not only on a player's body, but also his confidence when his body starts to fail.

The one player on our side that I worry about is Riewoldt. It seems like almost every game now where he falls awkwardly and is seen limping.
Your sure Ablett didnt need to miss 2 games. Can I ask how you are sure? If Rooy has a week off will he stop falling awkwardly in the next game?

Beej
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
OLB wrote:

Your sure Ablett didnt need to miss 2 games. Can I ask how you are sure? If Rooy has a week off will he stop falling awkwardly in the next game?
The problem isn't falling awkwardly, it's the limping I'm more concerned about. Footballers fall awkwardly all the time, not all of them are seen limping from week to week.

Riewoldt has had many issues with his knee as well.

And there were comments directly from Ablett around that time that he was good to go after missing only the one yet wasn't named in the side the following week against North Melbourne.

I thought, until now, that it was common knowledge that he was "rested" for that game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
OLB wrote:

The problem isn't falling awkwardly, it's the limping I'm more concerned about. Footballers fall awkwardly all the time, not all of them are seen limping from week to week.

And there were comments directly from Ablett around that time that he was good to go after missing only the one yet wasn't named in the side the following week against North Melbourne.

I thought, until now, that it was common knowledge that he was "rested" for that game.
Rooy is limping because he falls awkwardly or gets a hit when going for a mark. That will happen the game after a rest as well. He is obviously right to go the next week after limping or he wouldnt play. Anyway these players had a rest 3 weeks ago. Another question for you is did the players look like they needed a rest last Sunday and what players do you rest. Cannot see one player putting up his hand for a rest.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
OLB wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
OLB wrote:

Rooy is limping because he falls awkwardly or gets a hit when going for a mark. That will happen the game after a rest as well. He is obviously right to go the next week after limping or he wouldnt play. Anyway these players had a rest 3 weeks ago. Another question for you is did the players look like they needed a rest last Sunday and what players do you rest. Cannot see one player putting up his hand for a rest.
Come on now. It's common knowledge that Rooey had a limited pre-season and came into the season proper carrying a knee injury.

Maybe they feel the injury is one that will not worsen. Maybe they will give him a rest at some stage. Who knows? I just worry.

And on your second point, footballers never put their hand up for a rest. They want to play all the time. Thankfully, it's not up to them to decide. At least, it shouldn't be.

Although, according to Judd himself, he pushed his own case to play before the s*** really hit the fan. He admits now that it wasn't a good idea and perhaps he should have rested.
Last edited by Beej on Thu 09 Jul 2009 4:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

What about last week. Did they look like they needed a rest? Also I think our Doctors would know how Rooy knee is going.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote:The BEST way to play this is to rest and rotate the players, but tell the media you're not.

It's one issue the media badly stuffs up. Flirting with your form is an absolute myth that the media has invented. Ok?

It doesn't exist.

We would be absolutely stupid not to gear everything we do around winning a premiership and having the best 22 available for a tilt at September.

Rotating players happens in EVERY sport in the world, yet somebody in the 1940s decided it was a bad idea to keep players fresh for a tilt at winning a flag.

You would think that given our injury troubles of 2004-6, we'd do everything humanly possible to get ourselves right in the finals.

I hope Ross just makes 1-2 rest-based changes every week. The difference it could make should not be underestimated. It could give us a 10% boost in a Prelim.

The players will appreciate it and they WON'T lose form.
If flirting with form is a media myth, it's one that Lyon either buys into, or is clearly happy to perpetuate.

I'm sorry but this argument just rubbish. It might be good for soccer but there is no such luxury in AFL.

The Saints have 14 players who have played 14 games. Another 6 have played at least 12. 1-2 rest-based changes every week isn't exactly going to cover the list is it???

You rest players when they are injured. You know when you are overdoing the team's workload: the injury list grows.

I had a look at the injury list this morning. Lowest in the AFL. Looks like it's being managed just fine to me.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:What about last week. Did they look like they needed a rest? Also I think our Doctors would know how Rooy knee is going.
Yes, yes they would.

As I am not a medical professional, I sincerely apologise for even speculating on the matter.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
plugger66 wrote:What about last week. Did they look like they needed a rest? Also I think our Doctors would know how Rooy knee is going.
Yes, yes they would.

As I am not a medical professional, I sincerely apologise for even speculating on the matter.
Not sure if you have been asked this question before but did it look like they needed a rest last sunday?

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Not last Sunday no as they've just had a break.

Thing is as well, though.

It's a long season. Footballers talk about how much they need the mid-season break. Personally, I think it was obvious too that we needed that break.

What happens after round 22? We don't get another break unless we win our first final.

The key is to continually freshen the players up before September. I think that is vital.
Last edited by Beej on Thu 09 Jul 2009 4:51pm, edited 2 times in total.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'm sorry but this argument just rubbish. It might be good for soccer but there is no such luxury in AFL.
Really? Why is that? It's a much more physically demanding game. Players need to be managed. Not only that, but we have a finals system at the end.

I'm not saying throw matches. I'm saying if players need a rest, then rest them. Not only that, but it develops back-up options. Don't do it en masse - we don't want to lose - but just a player or two each week taking a breather could be very, very handy.

Remember, we play a tough, physically demanding style. It's going to take a toll.

And it's not the 1960s anymore. Hence, players are allowed to drink water these days.

Lyon is answering it smartly because he doesn't want to risk the wrath of the media or give motivation to opposing clubs.
I had a look at the injury list this morning. Lowest in the AFL. Looks like it's being managed just fine to me.
Yeah, but don't take it for granted. We need to have a plan B.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Really? Why is that? It's a much more physically demanding game. Players need to be managed. Not only that, but we have a finals system at the end.

I'm not saying throw matches. I'm saying if players need a rest, then rest them. Not only that, but it develops back-up options. Don't do it en masse - we don't want to lose - but just a player or two each week taking a breather could be very, very handy.

Remember, we play a tough, physically demanding style. It's going to take a toll.

And it's not the 1960s anymore. Hence, players are allowed to drink water these days.

Lyon is answering it smartly because he doesn't want to risk the wrath of the media or give motivation to opposing clubs.
Yeah, but don't take it for granted. We need to have a plan B.
Usually agree with most things you say Everton but I cannot come at this resting players thing. If they have an injury then they miss but I'm not sure it is good for morale if for example Hayes and Rooy miss this week. What happens if Mini plays very poorly this week and say Eddy plays great. Not sure it would then be fair on either of those 2 to be dropped.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:What happens if Mini plays very poorly this week and say Eddy plays great. Not sure it would then be fair on either of those 2 to be dropped.
Whatever is best for the team. If Eddy plays great and adds something more to the side, then surely he should stay in the side.

Surely the coaches know what's best for the team.

It's ruthless in this business of winning premierships. Shouldn't be much room for sympathy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
plugger66 wrote:What happens if Mini plays very poorly this week and say Eddy plays great. Not sure it would then be fair on either of those 2 to be dropped.
Whatever is best for the team. If Eddy plays great and adds something more to the side, then surely he should stay in the side.

It's ruthless in this business of winning premierships. Shouldn't be much room for sympathy.
So Mini gets the chop. That sends a great message to the players. They will be scared to play as one poor game may mean your gone.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
OLB wrote:

So Mini gets the chop. That sends a great message to the players. They will be scared to play as one poor game may mean your gone.
As I said, not much room for sympathy in the business of winning premierships.

Ask Mark Blake.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
OLB wrote:

As I said, not much room for sympathy in the business of winning premierships.

Ask Mark Blake.
It has nothing to do with sympathy. It is about team morale and dropping guys that would not have deserved it apart from the idea of resting players does nothing for the morale of the team. We are the best team at the moment, maybe not the best individuals, and that is why we are winning.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:It has nothing to do with sympathy. It is about team morale and dropping guys that would not have deserved it apart from the idea of resting players does nothing for the morale of the team. We are the best team at the moment, maybe not the best individuals, and that is why we are winning.
I think Ross has already shown that if you lose your spot, you lose your spot.

Look at Max Hudghton, Xavier Clarke, Matt Maguire and David Armitage. Probably first-22 players on talent, but couldn't find their way in because of Ross's decision to pick players on three things: form, fitness and their part of the structure.

I'm not advocating resting players who don't need a rest. But I'd suggest from way we held out to the mid-season break, our brand of footy is incredibly tough on the body.

I just hate the idea of conking out in the last term of a key finals match because our players are too cooked. It's happened far too often.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Would it be fair to say that individuals would be in more need of a rest after round 22 than after round 11.

Obviously, yes.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Now that a top 2 spot is all but ours.......

Nick wrote:Lyon now needs to start rotating players. If he doesn't do this starting this week he is crazy.

Changes for this week.......

Ins : Armatage, McGuire, Eddy

Out : Ball, Fisher, Milne

no no no......you don't f*** with winning form......

...or is that "flirt"? :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:Would it be fair to say that individuals would be in more need of a rest after round 22 than after round 11.

Obviously, yes.
We will get a rest a week later if we are good enough. Love to know how many Hawks players were rested last year or Cats players the year before. As you are speculating that they will be more tired in round 22 I will speculate that not many if any were rested in those years.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
OLB wrote:Would it be fair to say that individuals would be in more need of a rest after round 22 than after round 11.

Obviously, yes.
We will get a rest a week later if we are good enough. Love to know how many Hawks players were rested last year or Cats players the year before. As you are speculating that they will be more tired in round 22 I will speculate that not many if any were rested in those years.
Geelong have just put out a statement to explain their selection for this week. I am not kidding, either:
With a six day turn around from last Sunday’s game, four players will miss this week’s match against Brisbane. Given some of these have come about since we released our injury report on Tuesday, we have provided a further update of those players that will miss:

Matthew Scarlett: Scarlett has back tightness and is expected to be back to face Melbourne in round 16.

Cameron Ling: Ling has knee tendonitis and didn’t come up during the week. His condition will continue to be monitored.

Darren Milburn: Milburn rolled his ankle against St Kilda and although he returned to the field he will not be risked this week

James Kelly: Kelly felt hamstring tightness at training on Wednesday and is expected to be fit to face Melbourne in round 16.

Tom Gillies will make his AFL debut after being selected by the Cats with pick 33 from Dandenong in the 2008 national draft. Gillies was named as full back in the TAC Cup team of the year last year and has played nine games with Geelong’s VFL team.

Also coming into the team are Ryan Gamble, David Wojcinksi and Tom Lonergan.
That's exactly how you do it. All four could probably play, but they are being given the opportunity to get themselves right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Obviously, yes.
Geelong have just put out a statement to explain their selection for this week. I am not kidding, either:
With a six day turn around from last Sunday’s game, four players will miss this week’s match against Brisbane. Given some of these have come about since we released our injury report on Tuesday, we have provided a further update of those players that will miss:

Matthew Scarlett: Scarlett has back tightness and is expected to be back to face Melbourne in round 16.

Cameron Ling: Ling has knee tendonitis and didn’t come up during the week. His condition will continue to be monitored.

Darren Milburn: Milburn rolled his ankle against St Kilda and although he returned to the field he will not be risked this week

James Kelly: Kelly felt hamstring tightness at training on Wednesday and is expected to be fit to face Melbourne in round 16.

Tom Gillies will make his AFL debut after being selected by the Cats with pick 33 from Dandenong in the 2008 national draft. Gillies was named as full back in the TAC Cup team of the year last year and has played nine games with Geelong’s VFL team.

Also coming into the team are Ryan Gamble, David Wojcinksi and Tom Lonergan.
That's exactly how you do it. All four could probably play, but they are being given the opportunity to get themselves right.
And if we had players in a similar situation they would be out injured as well.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:And if we had players in a similar situation they would be out injured as well.
I think they're using excuses to rest players. Power to them, I say. Now nobody will question them and four key players get a week off.

Perhaps the 'pressure' has been released and they don't mind dropping another one or two matches if it means getting 100% for the finals.

Regardless, I only hope we're at 100%, too. Things have worked well for us thus far, but I'd just hate to see a bloke like Hayes or Riewoldt hit the wall in a key match because they're too exhausted.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

good arguments on both sides, but i come down on the side of picking our best fit team.

our success this season has been based in part on fierce competition for spots in the starting 22.

in other words, perform and keep your spot. don't perform and someone else will get it.

it has served us well thus far and i wouldn't want to mess with this incentive-based system.

but if rooey or anyone else has the slightest of niggles, then yes .., give them a rest.

Nick
Club Player

Most people on here have a short memory. Do you remember the 05 prelim against the Swans? We ran out of legs in that last quarter and got over-run.

No signature