if max is out who comes in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

Here's a theory:

OUTS: Max (inj), McEvoy (omit)

INS: Dempster, Gwilt

Blake to 2nd ruck.

Solves the cumbersome backline problem, we regain the 3rd forward that we need (notice the constant double and triple team on Roo on the weekend?) and Blake can be the swing-man, which he's quite good at.

Pains me to say it but Blake couldn't possibly do any worse than Big Ben right now in the ruck.

Don't think we'll see Goose just yet.

Wouldn't mind another mid (Armo or Steven) but doubt that is happening either.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Saw Max at Linton Street at about 1.00 today - he was hobbling badly with crutches under the arm - carrying them, not using them.
Would be a miracle for Max to be fit for Sunday.
I think they will bring Dempster in and name Goose as an emerg with Armo and Raph.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Zippy
Club Player

Random smokey - Leigh Fisher? We could use an extra small backman to balance us up against Geelong, and he'd be the best small backman in the reserves.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Zippy wrote:Random smokey - Leigh Fisher? We could use an extra small backman to balance us up against Geelong, and he'd be the best small backman in the reserves.
That is a real smokey as he is injured. To all the people who think Goose will play can they explain to me how he can fit into our side because i cannot see it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Dempster has to wait his turn... plenty of playyers have gone past him for the time being... give him another month

If Max is out, then it's Gwilt that gets the nod and we end up having a far more balanced team

nothing against Max but I just think it's wrong to have all of Zac, Blake and Hudghton in the team

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I agree it's gotta be Gwilt. We're already well-equipped to handle their forward line, we need Gwilt to help negate their defence and allow Milne and Schneider to be more creative.

Quixote
SS Life Member

I'm surprised no one is questioning McEvoy's spot in the team.

Thought he was our weakest link by far on the weekend.

Also, Kosi was thrown into the ruck in the last quarter whilst Macca sat on the pine.

Surely not a good sign for the kid.

I'd like to see IN Dempster, Gwilt
OUT Max (inj) Macca

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:I'm surprised no one is questioning McEvoy's spot in the team.

Also, Kosi was thrown into the ruck in the last quarter whilst Macca sat on the pine.

OUT Max (inj) Macca
Clearly his best game he has played IMO so that is why we arent questioning him. Also with Max out we couldnt also take Blake away from the backline so there are no back up ruckman this week.
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 30 Jun 2009 4:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

To me the defence seemed to hold up pretty well earlier in the season without max, so I'd say it is no certainty that he will be replaced in the side by a backman.

It could be that we're looking in a different direction. A third tall forward like gwilt or maybe even lynch or an extra mid like armitage.

Again an interesting night at selection.

Quixote
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Quixote wrote:I'm surprised no one is questioning McEvoy's spot in the team.

OUT Max (inj) Macca
Clearly his best game he has played IMO so that is why we arent questioning him. Also with Max out we couldnt also take Blake away from the backline so there are no back up ruckman this week.

Really?? Admittedly I have not watched a replay, but was at the game and at the time thought Macca was terrible. Anyone else have a view on this?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

haven't seen the game but the reports i've heard tend to suggest he did quite well

JABBER
Club Player

if max is out who comes in

Macca done his job against the tigers and is very good cover up for Gardiner
and King when out . Jason blake would be smashed in the ruck by there monsters. Macca is going to be a very good player for us in the furture
a very good pick for no.9 He has great hands his tap work was good in the last quarter and he will develop his running abilities. I missed sandy last game but herd Dempster played a very good game and when fully fit is in our best 22

trevor barker
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

FWIW, my prediction is:

Out: Max (inj) Geary

In: Two out of Gwilt, Armo and Dempster (I'm not quite sure which two: I'd go Gwilt and Dempster, but Armo sounds like he'd make a big impact).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift