The run home...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Splayd
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:Apart from maybe having to play Geelong twice in the finals, if there's no interstate team in the top 4, does it really matter where you finish - 1st or 4th?
I reckon that there is enough of a difference between 1st and 2nd let alone 1st and 4th.

Come 1st and quite simply you play the fourth best team in the comp rather than the 3rd best. As it stands now that would be playing Brissie in Melbourne which IMHO is better than the Doggies at a neutral venue. Also don't write off all interstaters yet. I reckon 13 wins could get you top 4 as there is a huge gap between the top 2 and the remainder (13 got the Saints there last year). Brissie will win most games at home and Sydney and Port will proably win more at home than lose so if they pinch a few away it is possible. Especially that Brissie is on 6 wins already and have 6 to play at the Gabba.

Finish 4th and you play the benchmark - lose - win in the second week then play the second best team after they've had a week off. A la last year...

Gathering converts in Frogland..
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

it was more of a penalty to miss the top two in 2004-2005 because bacl then you had to play interstate teams at their home grounds.

but even now it is an advantage, part psychological i guess.

as a general trend i wonder if the eventual premier usually finishes top two in the home and away season?