I'll admit I may have been wrong.......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Who is this Cousins guy you are all talking about???????

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:Who is this Cousins guy you are all talking about???????
It's your mother's brother's son! :wink: :lol:

The Saints are coming!
kp83
Club Player

Interesting to see no one has questioned whether Cousins would have bought in to the pressure/tackling game style we are playing at the moment.

I for one don't think he would have chased, tackled and harrassed as much as say a Mini or a Geary, which could have undermined everything the playing group is trying to acheive this season. Maybe this view is a little over the top, but I honestly don't think we could gain anything from having him in at the moment - we have a beautiful mix of gun players and honest, hard workers.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I wanted him......in retrospect not sure it would have helped, and may well have hindered......

Good decision by the board.......atm

Saints43
Club Player

In all honesty if he had come to us and done his Hammy round one, the club would have been burnt down.
I don't think so. I thought most on here saw it as chance to get a possible elite player for almost no cost (either draft picks or wages).

The one 'reason' I have heard that we didn't take BC was a WA journo who said that BC told the club he didn't want to be going to too many meetings (I'm sure we can all relate!) and do yoga and stuff. Too self focussed.

And surely if all it took to get established midfielders to take on responsibility was to say "No-one else (BC) is going to do it for you. Step up." then we could all be coaches...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
In all honesty if he had come to us and done his Hammy round one, the club would have been burnt down.
I don't think so. I thought most on here saw it as chance to get a possible elite player for almost no cost (either draft picks or wages).

The one 'reason' I have heard that we didn't take BC was a WA journo who said that BC told the club he didn't want to be going to too many meetings (I'm sure we can all relate!) and do yoga and stuff. Too self focussed.

And surely if all it took to get established midfielders to take on responsibility was to say "No-one else (BC) is going to do it for you. Step up." then we could all be coaches...
Im not sure we decided not to draft ben Cousins cause he didnt want to do yoga...however, I wanted him and for pick 897 wouldve taken him and still would. To me he is a class act, ready made player - sure hes got injuries......so too Michael Gardiner now we all love him.....and Cousins was that extra depth in my eyes you need to keep a gun midfield like Geelongs honest.

That said many have stepped up so far.....lets just hope it goe on...and on....and..

“Yeah….nah””
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Everything the club is right now is exactly what Ben Cousins is not.
100% team football and ego driven selfishness don't go hand in hand.

Lyon has been trying to get rid of the ego that weighed down the club over the past 4-5 years,not try and add to it

Bring back the Lockett era
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lyon has turned Gardi around...why not Cousins???

Still Lyon turned a negative in not getting him into a positive by using it to fuel the players immediately....knowing that many if not all the list wanted Cousins at the Club.

Smart guy that Lyon.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Lyon has turned Gardi around...why not Cousins???

Still Lyon turned a negative in not getting him into a positive by using it to fuel the players immediately....knowing that many if not all the list wanted Cousins at the Club.

Smart guy that Lyon.
Gardiner didn't come along with a circus. He was washed up and forgotten about practically. Cousins and his throng were laughably just about the biggest football story of all time.
Look at the way Cousins acted early in the season,it was all about him,doing media stints without the clubs knowledge,writing two page essays in the HS about how he is going to recover from his hammy and how he felt about the injury. Nevermind about the 80 point walloping his club just recieved. It was all about Ben. Just like his mate Browny doing fashion shows the week his club is in turmoil. Richmond was the right fit, no wonder they're a rabble

Maybe he could of changed him,but not overnight. The Cousins culture doesn't fit into Lyon's new regime,and thank god!
7-0,208%

Bring back the Lockett era
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

richmond suck

end of

#1 Ryder fan
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Gardiner is nothing like Cousins - decent big men don't grow on trees whereas we patently already had decent mid fielders who just weren't performing at their peak. Who would be out of the team for Cousins...? The usual suspects maybe of Geary perhaps but Geary will be here long after Cousins will have gone.
Also, an old too heavily relied upon mid-fielder was already retiring and we didn't need another one.
To say nothing about the circus he brought, his dodgy hamstrings and the fact that Gardiner alone is less than half as easy to manage as Gardiner and Cousins....

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet