Robert Eddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

i like eddy, think he's got real potential. it takes something to get off the rookie list and stand up in afl football.

the only problem for him this year is that his tackling's been down. last year he remained ensconced in the side because his tackling was great:

1: Lenny Hayes 6.00
2: Luke Ball 5.94
3: Robert Eddy 3.77
4: Clinton Jones 3.55
5: Andrew McQualter 3.42
6: David Armitage 3.31
7: Leigh Montagna 3.28
8: Shane Birss 3.12
8: Nick Dal Santo 3.12

this year he's ranked 15th instead of 3rd (admittedly only from two games) with only 2.5 tackles a game. this in a season where tackling is even more of a focus, with seven players ahead of or around his last year's average - montagna, hayes, ball, jones, ray, geary, mcqualter. this is exactly the group eddy needs to be a part of, but ray appears to have supplanted him.

that said, he has had 20 touches a game, a couple of assists, heaps of inside 50s and a goal, so i reckon the stats make him look pretty good really. but ross does love tackles.

undecided
Club Player

Eddy has about 75% DE which is about the same as dal santo, geary, Goddard and gwilt. joey is on about 70ish. Our best midfielders are cj and lenny who are on about 80. Top players are kozi on 90% and then basically our whole defence between 80 and 90%.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:i like eddy, think he's got real potential. it takes something to get off the rookie list and stand up in afl football.

the only problem for him this year is that his tackling's been down. last year he remained ensconced in the side because his tackling was great:

1: Lenny Hayes 6.00
2: Luke Ball 5.94
3: Robert Eddy 3.77
4: Clinton Jones 3.55
5: Andrew McQualter 3.42
6: David Armitage 3.31
7: Leigh Montagna 3.28
8: Shane Birss 3.12
8: Nick Dal Santo 3.12

this year he's ranked 15th instead of 3rd (admittedly only from two games) with only 2.5 tackles a game. this in a season where tackling is even more of a focus, with seven players ahead of or around his last year's average - montagna, hayes, ball, jones, ray, geary, mcqualter. this is exactly the group eddy needs to be a part of, but ray appears to have supplanted him.

that said, he has had 20 touches a game, a couple of assists, heaps of inside 50s and a goal, so i reckon the stats make him look pretty good really. but ross does love tackles.
Give the guy a break. Stats should not be used after 2 games. If had 7 this week he would be better than last year. Far to early to say his tackling is down.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

In fairness, he was out for some time with a injury...

We allow time for players like Roo to play back into some form, I don't understand the difference in this case.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:In fairness, he was out for some time with a injury...

We allow time for players like Roo to play back into some form, I don't understand the difference in this case.
what?

one of them has won four best and fairests. one has played fifteen games.

i like eddy, but you don't understand the difference?

saint vince
Club Player

undecided wrote:Eddy has about 75% DE which is about the same as dal santo, geary, Goddard and gwilt. joey is on about 70ish. Our best midfielders are cj and lenny who are on about 80. Top players are kozi on 90% and then basically our whole defence between 80 and 90%.
As a side bar does anyone know what Grams is?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saint vince wrote:As a side bar does anyone know what Grams [efficiency] is?
66.67%

That's not that abnormal for somebody putting the ball inside fifty a lot (Steve Johnson's is around about 60%). The worry for me with Gram is that he has 47 I50s for 3 goals and 4 goal assists. He's not making good decisions with the ball. I'd like to see him take less shots at goal from outside fifty, because he's clearly not as good at them as he thinks he is.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saint vince
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
66.67%

That's not that abnormal for somebody putting the ball inside fifty a lot (Steve Johnson's is around about 60%). The worry for me with Gram is that he has 47 I50s for 3 goals and 4 goal assists. He's not making good decisions with the ball. I'd like to see him take less shots at goal from outside fifty, because he's clearly not as good at them as he thinks he is.
I just think that way to often he takes about 5 too many steps which runs the forwards out of position and then doesn't kick it to there advantage enough. I think that he is in our bottom 6 atm because of his wasted ball use. Much prefer the ball to be in the hands of just about anyone else barring Eddy, Blake, Dawson and King. My opinion only. Hope I don't get smashed over it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint vince wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
66.67%

I just think that way to often he takes about 5 too many steps which runs the forwards out of position and then doesn't kick it to there advantage enough. I think that he is in our bottom 6 atm because of his wasted ball use. Much prefer the ball to be in the hands of just about anyone else barring Eddy, Blake, Dawson and King. My opinion only. Hope I don't get smashed over it.
If he is our bottom 6 at the moment we may never lose a game again. In the best in 3 out of 6 games to me suggests he is in our top 10.

saint vince
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saint vince wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
66.67%

If he is our bottom 6 at the moment we may never lose a game again. In the best in 3 out of 6 games to me suggests he is in our top 10.
Which three games was he in our best. Has not polled a vote in the saintsational player of the year yet. IIRC. As I said before this is my opinion only. I haven't rated him in our best all year.
Last edited by saint vince on Tue 05 May 2009 8:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saint vince wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
66.67%

i thought he was in our best three on sunday. very important player to us and gives a lot of run. backs himself and takes chances, which i like.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saint vince wrote:I just think that way to often [Gram] takes about 5 too many steps which runs the forwards out of position and then doesn't kick it to there advantage enough.
I don't think he takes enough time. He's kicked the ball plenty of times where there's been a ton of space around him in every direction. He seems to get really excited by the 50m arc. He's kicked 3.9 so far this year and has had a bunch that have missed altogether. He really pushes his limits with his kicking and rarely kicks within a comfortable distance. He needs to watch Judd or some old footage of Harvey doing those little 20m short passes.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:In fairness, he was out for some time with a injury...

what?

one of them has won four best and fairests. one has played fifteen games.

i like eddy, but you don't understand the difference?
Fair go, I was highlighting that he had been injured and is improving with game time. In fact he was playing very well, and it was an unfortunate injury that was hardly he's fault.

Personally, and while appreciate your sentiments, I like the fact RL is rewarding hard work and endeavour with our young ones.

JABBER
Club Player

robert eddy

I like robert eddy as a player he is tough at the contest his kicking can improve but i think he will be the player to miss out if king comes back this week

trevor barker
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Eddy will keep his place, because the coach likes the way he plays and he sticks to team rules.

Many on here don't know that footy is a team game and the players that adhere the the team game plan will keep their place until injured or suspended.

Eddy was great until injured, by an umpire (umpire should have been fined $5,000 and rubbed out for 2 weeks) and has done nothing wrong in the last 2 weeks.

He will be there next week.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Average players get their kicks smothered often.......watch Eddy and notice this happens quite a bit......

GOTryer........he should not be in the best 22.....but just outside

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Eddy will keep his place, because the coach likes the way he plays and he sticks to team rules.

Many on here don't know that footy is a team game and the players that adhere the the team game plan will keep their place until injured or suspended.

Eddy was great until injured, by an umpire (umpire should have been fined $5,000 and rubbed out for 2 weeks) and has done nothing wrong in the last 2 weeks.

He will be there next week.
What I was trying to say, good post Bernard

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: robert eddy

JABBER wrote:I like robert eddy as a player he is tough at the contest his kicking can improve but i think he will be the player to miss out if king comes back this week
i think that is a possibility because he came in for a tall (kosi) originally .

presumably another runner was considered better in the wet and wind against port adelaide at aami stadium.

but last week (under the roof at the dome) we were one tall short, imo, and missed having a second key forward.

whether eddy is the one who should go is debatable, i guess, but i like us better with two genuine ruckmen and two genuine key forwards.

there's something to be said for ross's policy of not changing a winning side if he can help it ... but at the same time structure is important and so is putting your best starting 18 out there.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

King looks to be out for a few more weeks.

Max will be back before King and I would think Zack will make way for Max.

Robert Eddy is in to stay.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:King looks to be out for a few more weeks
would mcevoy be a chance then?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Not if Kosi keeps his place.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
kosi will keep his place.

imo we need another ruckman to allow us the luxury of playing kosi as a key forward.

another alternative would be to rejig the backline by bringing in raph or goose, freeing up bj or gilbert to go forward

we're getting away with not having a second key forward because we're winning, but it's potentially a glaring structural problem.

I'm concerned it will increase our reliance on riewoldt and put more pressure on his kicking for goal.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
kosi will keep his place.

imo we need another ruckman to allow us the luxury of playing kosi as a key forward.

another alternative would be to rejig the backline by bringing in raph or goose, freeing up bj or gilbert to go forward

we're getting away with not having a second key forward because we're winning, but it's potentially a glaring structural problem.

I'm concerned it will increase our reliance on riewoldt and put more pressure on his kicking for goal.
Ok to move BJ as he played everywhere this year but to move Gilbert would be silly. The backline and midfield are winning the games for us this year not the forwards. Forward lines are overated if the other 2 lines are going well.

undecided
Club Player

I think there will be no changes this week. They will give king another week to make sure he is fit

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:Some of you people amaze me. "Why should Raph get a game ahead of Gwilt or Eddy as he has only played two games this year?" 2 games for the Zebras, was one of our best in Round 1 at the time he got injured. Was one of our best right through the final series last season. I'd bring him in this week, for either Gwilt or Eddy. Let him take Sam Gilbert's place, and make Gilbo our 3rd tall forward as originally planned.
. Raph was not one of our best where did this come from?fact is be had 6 or so kicks for an efficiency of 36% he is a completely different player to eddy and has very little defensive pressure, if it's not broke don't fix it as eddys run and pressure has been good