Our Next Mission ---- Collingwood -----

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

It is interesting to see that somebody else mentioned their game plan playing into ours.

Does anybody else believe that this could be a huge bonus for our game plan?

I seriously can't see how they're going to break through our zone. They don't have a lot of great running players IMO and their foot skills aren't good enough to break through it either...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

is it just me or is Mick Malthouse getting decidedly more insane?
I'll bet all the journos hope he coaches forever, cant help saying something daft.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Would just hate to see us get cocky...

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

I dont think we can afford to get cocky- we have a side called geelong to push us all year.
Much better situation than out front in 04 i reckon.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

My cockiness, if it can be called that, is fuelled by my Pie-loving pig of a brother in law, an expat Yorkshireman who has been here two years, inherited Eddiewood on account of their colours being the same as his soccer team back home, and who has proceeded to become the most arrogant, vile, disgustingly one-eyed Magpie this side of Ed Maguire himself.

In short, he sh-ts me to the point of distraction.

I want us to smash them so badly I can taste bile.

I want to shut the wa-ker up good and proper.

I want a cricket score.

And then I want the Pies to finish ninth ON PERCENTAGE DECIDED BY THE LAST KICK OF THE GODDAM SEASON.

And then I want Malthouse to go and in a last minute about face driven by a falling out with Eddie Maguire, I want Buckley to sign up as coach of the Gold Coast.

Among other things.

But I won't go on.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:My cockiness, if it can be called that, is fuelled by my Pie-loving pig of a brother in law, an expat Yorkshireman who has been here two years, inherited Eddiewood on account of their colours being the same as his soccer team back home, and who has proceeded to become the most arrogant, vile, disgustingly one-eyed Magpie this side of Ed Maguire himself.

In short, he sh-ts me to the point of distraction.

I want us to smash them so badly I can taste bile.

I want to shut the wa-ker up good and proper.

I want a cricket score.

And then I want the Pies to finish ninth ON PERCENTAGE DECIDED BY THE LAST KICK OF THE GODDAM SEASON.

And then I want Malthouse to go and in a last minute about face driven by a falling out with Eddie Maguire, I want Buckley to sign up as coach of the Gold Coast.

Among other things.

But I won't go on.
...and what sane human being would want anything less? A fair request IMO.

TEDBUNDY.

i wish all you supporters would stop making it out as collingwood to be melbourne and we will smash them becasue it wont happen dont get cocky

degruch
Saintsational Legend

TEDBUNDY. wrote:i wish all you supporters would stop making it out as collingwood to be melbourne and we will smash them becasue it wont happen dont get cocky
Don't you have punctuation in Collingwood?

TEDBUNDY.

yea bloody oath

degruch
Saintsational Legend

TEDBUNDY. wrote:yea bloody oath
Sorry, I should have looked at your username.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CJ must get Davis. (as he got Pearce's scalp) Davis sets them alight and must not be allowed near it.

Sam for Cloke

Gilbo for Medhurst

Zac for Rocca

Ray for Pendlebury (is a gun and can break lines)

Hayes v Swan (another who breaks lines)

McQ for Lockyer (can hurt Lockyer with goals if he sets up in back half)

Geary for Thomas (overrated but shouldn't be given an inch to add to his highlight reel, seems the only reason Thomas turns up for games)

Ball v O'Bree (often forgotten but can hurt sides and for someone who appears slow, does break lines)

If Shaw plays then he should be picked up and made accountable by Gwilt or Eddy regardless of how many weeks he's missed.

Hope that King gets up for it because I would like to see us work Fraser over in the middle. If he doesn't make then I would like to Big Ben brought in.

Presti will take Kosi

Maxwell to pick up Roo

This leaves Brown without a big man, another reason I hope King or McEvoy come in.

I'm tipping Barham to get the job on Dal

Hopefully BJ can have another big one and Joey turns it on for us.

Pies cannot be taken lightly, only have to think back to the Didak/Shaw match. Have a feeling this will be a close one.

Nattens
Club Player

TEDBUNDY. wrote:i wish all you supporters would stop making it out as collingwood to be melbourne and we will smash them becasue it wont happen dont get cocky
We can be as cocky as we want in OUR forums buddy. I think you boys are probably as arrogant in The Official Forum Of Filth TM.

rexy
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote:CJ must get Davis. (as he got Pearce's scalp) Davis sets them alight and must not be allowed near it.

Sam for Cloke

Gilbo for Medhurst

Zac for Rocca

Ray for Pendlebury (is a gun and can break lines)

Hayes v Swan (another who breaks lines)

McQ for Lockyer (can hurt Lockyer with goals if he sets up in back half)

Geary for Thomas (overrated but shouldn't be given an inch to add to his highlight reel, seems the only reason Thomas turns up for games)

Ball v O'Bree (often forgotten but can hurt sides and for someone who appears slow, does break lines)

If Shaw plays then he should be picked up and made accountable by Gwilt or Eddy regardless of how many weeks he's missed.

Hope that King gets up for it because I would like to see us work Fraser over in the middle. If he doesn't make then I would like to Big Ben brought in.

Presti will take Kosi

Maxwell to pick up Roo

This leaves Brown without a big man, another reason I hope King or McEvoy come in.

I'm tipping Barham to get the job on Dal

Hopefully BJ can have another big one and Joey turns it on for us.

Pies cannot be taken lightly, only have to think back to the Didak/Shaw match. Have a feeling this will be a close one.
If we play with that many out and out match ups then we have gone backwards in a week? If rocca plays then Zac will get him and Blake will get Cloke, If Rocca doesnt then Zac will have to go to Cloke. This will see Zac play a lot further from goal than we have and will be interesting.

As long as Gram does not play on Davis then the rest should look after themselves. Pendlebury would be the midfielder tagged by CJ, they will try and shut down all of our mids and will have no one left going the ball in the guts. I think we will win and win well.

Maybe this year?
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Agree on Cj to take Davis, he uses the ball well. I'd send someone to run with swan, maybe a player like Ray, or someone who can hurt him going the other way. Other than that, meh.

Carpe Diem
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote: If we play with that many out and out match ups then we have gone backwards in a week? If rocca plays then Zac will get him and Blake will get Cloke, If Rocca doesnt then Zac will have to go to Cloke. This will see Zac play a lot further from goal than we have and will be interesting.

As long as Gram does not play on Davis then the rest should look after themselves. Pendlebury would be the midfielder tagged by CJ, they will try and shut down all of our mids and will have no one left going the ball in the guts. I think we will win and win well.
I'm pretty sure we play with that many match ups every week, each coach would have his wish list of match ups and try to manufacture them and then cross his fingers that they work out.

Agree with you on Blake, he would be a better match up allowing Fisher (if he plays) to play a more creative role.

Still believe though that CJ will be used to pick up Davis and also think Ray would be a better fit for Pendlebury.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Davis is the damaging inform player at the moment, I am sure Ross will be on it...

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:
rexy wrote: If we play with that many out and out match ups then we have gone backwards in a week? If rocca plays then Zac will get him and Blake will get Cloke, If Rocca doesnt then Zac will have to go to Cloke. This will see Zac play a lot further from goal than we have and will be interesting.

I'm pretty sure we play with that many match ups every week, each coach would have his wish list of match ups and try to manufacture them and then cross his fingers that they work out.

Agree with you on Blake, he would be a better match up allowing Fisher (if he plays) to play a more creative role.

Still believe though that CJ will be used to pick up Davis and also think Ray would be a better fit for Pendlebury.
I'm not a huge fan of the Ray vs Pendlebury matchup, IMO the best case scenario to come from that is both players getting 30 possies each, but I can tell you now, Pendle's 30 would hurt a lot more.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Anyone who thinks the pies will be easy are IMO badly misguided. They have a history of winning games that they shouldnt. I think we will win but it will be a very tough game. Malthouse has a habit of lifting them and is a great tactical coach. They also can on occasions be a very good tackling side which will be a good test for us.
I totally agree about Malthouse's ability to lift players for a big game and work out some special tactics to beat opponents. If I had to have a guy coach a team to win a grand final to save my life, I'd pick Malthouse every time.

But I do believe he is up against it with the troops available to him. Putting a fully-fit Pies list up against ours and taking off my rose-coloured glasses, I reckon their best half dozen players - say, Pendlebury, Didak, Davis, Maxwell, Presty and Swan - are all pretty good, but then it all drops away a fair bit. The likes of Lockyer, Shaw, Cloke, Medhurst, Thomas, etc. can play (those on here who deride them are just displaying their bias IMO), but they aren't as consistent as they ought to be. That's where Buckley and Burns are such big losses. They tended to lift the whole team.

The Pies desperately need to recruit a star to build their team around. Pavlich would be a perfect fit IMO.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Mr X from the West
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Anyone who thinks the pies will be easy are IMO badly misguided. They have a history of winning games that they shouldnt. I think we will win but it will be a very tough game. Malthouse has a habit of lifting them and is a great tactical coach. They also can on occasions be a very good tackling side which will be a good test for us.
Strangely, I'm more confident about beating the Pies than I was before the Dogs game.

I think if we can limit the influence of Davis and share the clearances (I thought we were poor in the clearances against the Dogs, so potentially an area of weakness of ours), they don't have any midfielders to really hurt us. Pendlebury is a very good distributor, but I question his ability to win it, given the quality of our mids.

As for Malthouse and his preparation, I reckon Ross prepares better.

Hope I'm right. I'm tipping a similar margin to our win over the Dogs.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

agree. we'll be making a serious mistake if we underestimate them. they would have been stung by their finals loss to us last season and on a mission to redeem themselves.

we have to keep up the intensity and fanaticism of the first six weeks.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

duckduckduckgoose wrote:is it just me or is Mick Malthouse getting decidedly more insane?
I'll bet all the journos hope he coaches forever, cant help saying something daft.
No, it's not just you, Mick is becoming the new Blighty!

markp
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
duckduckduckgoose wrote:is it just me or is Mick Malthouse getting decidedly more insane?
Add Barassi to that and you'd have a pretty freaky dinner party.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
degruch wrote:
Add Barassi to that and you'd have a pretty freaky dinner party.
Amen! Add Sheeds (coming in through the window, waving his dinner jacket) and you could televise it!

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Mr X from the West wrote:As for Malthouse and his preparation, I reckon Ross prepares better.
The Pies certainly pride themselves on their ability to ambush. But to compare us to the Geelong of round 9 last year would be a fatal mistake for them. It is not as if we are coming off a premiership and a string of 28 wins in a row, and liable to fall asleep. If anything, the Saints are probably more alike to Collingwood's round 7 opponent from last year - a hard, hungry and determined Hawthorn.

In any case, the Pies should put up a cracking contest. Their lowest score to date this year is 86.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Collingwood are a decent side - but I think they are chronically overrated. They in all likelihood will make the 8 - but I cannot see them challenging for a flag (realistically), and all talk of their Top 4 chances is reliant on the inconsistency of Port and hawthorn (who IMO will make top 4).

Their list is solid, without being spectacular. Probably what many would call an "even" list. Pendlebury and Davis are the two players we HAVE to shut down in order to win. Both use the ball extremely well, and if given an inch of space, will take a mile. I'd be happy for CJ to take either of these (probably Davis), and I wouldn't mind Luke Ball going to Pendlebury and playing a slightly more defensive game.

Swan finds the footy very easily, but is not always damaging when he gets it. He has a good ability to find space to lead into and start attacks - however, he might find this more difficult against our zone, full court press, whatever you want to call it. Hayes will probably go head-to-head v Swan, which IMO would be a very good match up.

Expect Wellingham to tag Dal, and maybe someone like a Barham to go to Montagna.

Down back, the match ups will be very interesting. Blake usually takes Cloke (another terribly overrated player), and should do a pretty good job. If Rocca comes in, Dawson will take him in an eagerly anticipated match up. However, it is their small forwards that we need to be careful on. IMO, Gilbert has to go to Medhurst. Medhurst is strong overhead, and likes to lead and present - Gilbert has the pace, agility and aerial strength to go with him. Gram I think will actually get tagged in a "defensive forward" role by Thomas, similar to the role he did against Drummond, just trying to make the opposition creative back flanker more accountable. Gwilt should go to Macaffer.

Harry O'Brien will probably go to Milne, and I think Presti will take Kosi. Maxwell will probably go to Roo, and someone like Toovey (or maybe Barham?) to go to Schneider...

The Saints are coming!