Jarryn Geary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Geary's been building really nicely this year. Since the goal he kicked in Adelaide, he just seems to get better every 10 minutes as he gains a little more confidence in his belonging... of course, since the game in Adelaide he's played in 2 St Kilda thumping's of the opposition, where it was a task not to look good, but he's in the perfect kind of form to play in a couple of real games over the next 2 weeks and cement himself an AFL spot.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:Has to be a chance for the Rising Star nom this week?
I would think that Geary or Ziebell will get the nod this week. Hartlett's game wasn't nearly as impressive as those two. Otten, from what I gather (I was busy when that game was on), was very good, but didn't put up particularly remarkable stats.

In terms of eligibility, you have to have played ten games or less and be under 21 as of January first of this year. Geary turns 21 in late June and had played exactly ten games going into this year.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

And would you believe that a poster suggested that he should be delisted after his first year as a rookie :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

St Fidelius wrote:And would you believe that a poster suggested that he should be delisted after his first year as a rookie :roll:
I remember one poster, who I'm not going to name and shame, writing off Geary after the Sydney game. It seems to be fairly common practice around here. One poster was writing off Heyne over the weekend. Some people seemed to be upset that Gwilt , Mini and Jones were even selected round 1. Gwilt's doubters seem to be out in force after his 8-possession game. There was a thread last week ripping Armo. McEvoy got trashed every time Rioli had a good game last year. The Clarkes have been written off more times than I've posted. It's as if there's some sort of prize for being the first to successfully predict a player won't make it. It'd be nice if people gave developing players time to develop before jumping to conclusions.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:And would you believe that a poster suggested that he should be delisted after his first year as a rookie :roll:
I remember one poster, who I'm not going to name and shame, writing off Geary after the Sydney game. It seems to be fairly common practice around here. One poster was writing off Heyne over the weekend. Some people seemed to be upset that Gwilt , Mini and Jones were even selected round 1. Gwilt's doubters seem to be out in force after his 8-possession game. There was a thread last week ripping Armo. McEvoy got trashed every time Rioli had a good game last year. The Clarkes have been written off more times than I've posted. It's as if there's some sort of prize for being the first to successfully predict a player won't make it. It'd be nice if people gave developing players time to develop before jumping to conclusions.
You're too good.

If I could remember the poster that suggested that Geary should be delisted after his first year as a rookie, I would be more than happy to name him.

I remember having a go at him at the time, but I have forgotten who posted it :oops:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

And to think Geary is a Rookie promotion coming along very nicely,not a top 10 draft pick struggling to make an impact.......

Who'd want to be a recruiter,some rookies end up the better recruits.....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Applied some really nice bumps in the Freo game, no stats for them but he must be deceptively strong through the hips.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
If I could remember the poster that suggested that Geary should be delisted after his first year as a rookie, I would be more than happy to name him.
Why????

Why have a go at him for stating an opinion

Why dredge it up????

Seriously how is that going to make this forum a better place????

Whoever it was probably now knows they were wrong so why rub it in - let them live with their guilt and hopefully they will learn from their mistakes

Drop it and move on

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

I agree about the rising star - was unaware that he was eligible! But it will be just like usual if our low-profile star slips under the radar and misses out on a nom!

He is playing great! I thought he may have been the first to go once the senior players started coming back, but there is no way i want him out of the team! You cant drop him after these past few games! And for such a young player, with so little experience, it has been one of the highlights of the past month, along with the rise of Gilbo!! :D

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Certainly hope you are not suggesting I wrote Geary off.......I watched nearly every game for Casey last season, he was super....he often had 25+ and was a fierce competitor......he was a monty to be promoted, and showed more than Armitage at VFL level......although Armo was going pretty well.....

Geary set the standard at Pre-season (with Eddy) which is why they were always going to cut it with Ross....work ethic...

I have written Heyne off......atm......IMO he has a few tricks but not a lot of ability and average I would hope I am wrong, as he is the sort of player we need......but looks to have a bit of Beetham about his swagger...

On the record.....what I thought of our less rated picks early on.....and whether I thought they would get there

Sweeney I wrote off - correct
Armo I rate - still in question
Raymond I was unsure of...I thought he'd struggle because of size, bit of Houlihan about him - right
L.Fisher - Yes.....correct
S.Fisher - from the moment I saw him play CHF for Casey - yes....correct
Ferguson - yes, I thought he had alround game....wrong
McQualter - big fan initially....I was wrong to begin with, doing better now
Eljay I did not think would get close - Probably wrong
Tom Lynch is a Monty....we'll see...
Steven should get there....ditto
Jarrad Allen - unsure....pace an issue....then injury
Fergus Watts - would make it - wrong (injury)
Gilbert to star - right
McEvoy - question Marks......answering them
Stanley - Yes - early days....showed something
Eddy - Yes.....value pick
Alan Murray - I said he would be very good, awesome skill level - wrong, and burnt again by poor work ethic....finally learned my lesson...talent + discipline required
Barry Brooks - I said yes - wrong, injury and poor commitment
Houlihan - I thought might get there with time - wrong
Caydn Beetham - I thought yes - wrong......commitment issues

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
Why????

Why have a go at him for stating an opinion

Why dredge it up????

Seriously how is that going to make this forum a better place????

Whoever it was probably now knows they were wrong so why rub it in - let them live with their guilt and hopefully they will learn from their mistakes

Drop it and move on
Couldn't have said it better myself.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Certainly hope you are not suggesting I wrote Geary off...
If you're referring to me - no, I wasn't. There's another poster who, as I said, I'm not going to name, that had a go at Geary after our round 1 match.

I don't understand making calls on where you see players in twelve months, five years, ten years. Particularly when a player is still young and developing mentally and physically, so much can change, even from game to game. There isn't a player on our list right now that I don't think could make it if they put in the hard work to improve their weaknesses.

EDIT: Also - as a complete aside to the above - I believe Geary was our last rookie pick in 06. He was somewhere around the 134th player selected that year. To go from there to here shows a great amount of determination by the player.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

One thing I love about Geary...is that he knows how to snag a goal.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintly
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
BigMart wrote:Certainly hope you are not suggesting I wrote Geary off...

EDIT: Also - as a complete aside to the above - I believe Geary was our last rookie pick in 06. He was somewhere around the 134th player selected that year. To go from there to here shows a great amount of determination by the player.
now thats more impresive than anything else! nearly last on the rookie list and looks like making as an afl player!! the next few weeks will tell for a lot of players. we will be playing the better teams then

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

thirty-seven!? wrote:I agree about the rising star - was unaware that he was eligible! But it will be just like usual if our low-profile star slips under the radar and misses out on a nom!

He is playing great! I thought he may have been the first to go once the senior players started coming back, but there is no way i want him out of the team! You cant drop him after these past few games! And for such a young player, with so little experience, it has been one of the highlights of the past month, along with the rise of Gilbo!! :D
While in general I'm against any team not in the midst of rebuild playing someone "for experience" (i.e. young guy in the middle late in a quarter when you've got a better, older option who's got the runs on the board), and sometimes even where they are (what Hawthorn did with Dawson was, IMO, stupid and out of character for a club that generally developed all their prospects very well)... this is the exception.

I recall 2 years ago in a game against Essendon, while overcome by injury we had both Gilbo and Gwilt getting games. They were on a pretty even footing at that stage (Gilbo much higher on potential, but prior to that game, that's all it was). During the course of that game, Gwilt got run down across half back by Alwyn Davey. It obviously got to him, because he became hesitant with the ball, never took initiative and chipped every time (much like the '07 Saints in general!). Gilbo on the other hand at one stage broke a tackle at half forward, stepped around another man, and kicked a running goal from 55 metres... and conversely to Gwilt, he became one of the few highlights of '07 as he backed himself, broke lines, broke tackles, and tackled like a demon himself.

I look back on those events as catalysts for their subsequent seasons.

Geary's Adelaide goal reminded me of Gilbo's in '07, and like Gilbo, he's been building since. The West Coast and Freo games are against little opposition, but a young guy with confidence is in a position to set himself new benchmarks, and so regardless of who's fit, I'm keen to see him play both the Port Adelaide and Bulldogs games.

Good showings in those and he'll be a bona fide chance to have a breakout season, making the jump from VFL to AFL.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Jaxson Barham took it...

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 41495.html
Jaxson? JAXSON?

Another quality bogan bastardisation of a perfectly good name...

vacuous space
SS Life Member

InkerSaint wrote:Jaxson Barham took it...
Wow. Didn't see that coming. I thought that his 9 clangers would have completely ruled him out. Geary and Ziebell were robbed.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Disgusting... Absolutely disgusting...

Barham was no good, another example of the Friday night game getting you across the line.

For mine it should have gone Ziebell - MacKenzie - Geary - Hartlett and then Barham...

Unbelievable...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Disgusting... Absolutely disgusting...

Barham was no good, another example of the Friday night game getting you across the line.

For mine it should have gone Ziebell - MacKenzie - Geary - Hartlett and then Barham...

Unbelievable...
no point knocking the barham kid. he did ok. but stats really dont say much. he got a million kicks but im pretty sure 99% of them went directly to an opposition easy chest mark. wasnt a great game. but hes a pie - and u know what they are like (all there players are going to be superstars etc).

as for geary. really improving and will definitely make the grade. good stuff.

with geary mcqualtar mcevoy gilbert ray gwilt dawson - thats 7 new young players in our 22 - we are now building up the experience of a younger crew after a few years of me panicking about where the next generation will come from - im starting to feel i can see it now - im much more relaxed. well done to RL. hats off.

Megamaguire
Club Player

'Gears' another Bendigo Bonus

Something in the way he moves - better stop there but i think i did notice it early on last year. You just want him to do well as he looks the part beautifully. I get the impression that 'Gears' - love it :wink:
is on his way to blossoming under coach Rossi. Some are going to take to the coache's way of thinking better than others and 'Gears' could well be near the front of the bunch at this stage.

Great for Bendigo and Eaglehawk to have Gears make the big time following in the footsteps of Dally.

G O G E A R S !
G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Also don't take his B&F win over Joel Selwood IIRC he played significant more games than Selwood due to Selwood representing Vic... I could be wrong though, I just seem to remember that being spoken about at the time of his drafting...

Same goes for Jack Steven winning the Geelong B&F aswell...
they still won the awards.......by the way...selwood was injured........missed a lot of games.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:I agree about the rising star - was unaware that he was eligible! But it will be just like usual if our low-profile star slips under the radar and misses out on a nom!

While in general I'm against any team not in the midst of rebuild playing someone "for experience" (i.e. young guy in the middle late in a quarter when you've got a better, older option who's got the runs on the board), and sometimes even where they are (what Hawthorn did with Dawson was, IMO, stupid and out of character for a club that generally developed all their prospects very well)... this is the exception.

I recall 2 years ago in a game against Essendon, while overcome by injury we had both Gilbo and Gwilt getting games. They were on a pretty even footing at that stage (Gilbo much higher on potential, but prior to that game, that's all it was). During the course of that game, Gwilt got run down across half back by Alwyn Davey. It obviously got to him, because he became hesitant with the ball, never took initiative and chipped every time (much like the '07 Saints in general!). Gilbo on the other hand at one stage broke a tackle at half forward, stepped around another man, and kicked a running goal from 55 metres... and conversely to Gwilt, he became one of the few highlights of '07 as he backed himself, broke lines, broke tackles, and tackled like a demon himself.

I look back on those events as catalysts for their subsequent seasons.

Geary's Adelaide goal reminded me of Gilbo's in '07, and like Gilbo, he's been building since. The West Coast and Freo games are against little opposition, but a young guy with confidence is in a position to set himself new benchmarks, and so regardless of who's fit, I'm keen to see him play both the Port Adelaide and Bulldogs games.

Good showings in those and he'll be a bona fide chance to have a breakout season, making the jump from VFL to AFL.

great insight.......great post

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Sainterone
Club Player

another great game from Geary tonight.

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sainterone wrote:another great game from Geary tonight.
yes, very impressed with the kid now.