St Kilda side v Fremantle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Sorry St Fidelius,
The Fremantle team was announced at 6:35 but you still had not posted it by 6:40 so I thought you were asleep at the keyboard.
lol

had to go out and do some grocery shopping, my wife is not well..

Not that is any excuse, because I do the grocery shopping in most cases anyway..

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

happy with that team

hey anyone remember the last time we went through 4 rounds only using 23 players?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I've put the Sandy teams into the Sandringham- Frankston game thread.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SaintWodonga
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:X is extremely stiff. I would have him in the team before any of the interchange players.
Except King!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

if X puts in another blinder this week and Mqualter/Geary have shockers the change will be made.

Keep up the pressure Xavier cause I reckon we are a stronger side with you in it.

Max will waltz back in..Raph......Id have in come back via magoos after thorough hamstring workout Im afraid.

“Yeah….nah””
Sobraz
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:X is extremely stiff. I would have him in the team before any of the interchange players.
I wouldnt.... X has done nothing in the past 2 years to suggest he is a walk up start... AFAIC he has to earn his spot with multiple strong performances in the 2's, and to show his body wont fail him again in the top level...
Practice matches for mine are not a good indication, therefore he is one out of one for good VFL performaces...

Secondly, someone would have to be performing poorly to be ommited for X.... All our fringe players (Gwilt, Mini, Geary, CJ) have been playing at a level X hasnt reached in a long, long time....

Once Raph and Max are ready, I'd hope they'd jump the que ahead of X, as IMO they are more important to our side.... So, he may have a long wait...

saintbob
SS Life Member

St DAC wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:FAIR DINKUM!

What does X have to do to be even third emergency?
Perhaps the selectors are corrupt? :wink:

** inside joke for sp **
While he is no doubt playing good footy, I still reckon the coaching staff want to see him put 5-6 weeks together without breaking down again.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

A bit boring remaining unchanged every week, but thoroughly enjoyable 8-)

Max and Raph should have a week in the ressies for fitness only, irrespective of form they come straight in, Max is an A grader, Raph has deserved his status from his form in the '08 finals.

X (although I rate him) has no deserved status and needs an injury for an opportunity.

Max for Dawson
Raph for McQualter / Geary / Gwilt depending on matchups.

It has to be that simple IMO.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Our team against Freo is nearly as bad as this one:

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=50591

It's amazing how much better a team looks after getting a few wins.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
HarveysDeciple

St Fidelius wrote:
yipper wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:I think X would still be building match fitness...so why rush him?
The problem with this is that the emergencies like Begley, McEvoy and Eddy don't get the match fitness
Yes they do mate - they still play in the 2's. If all 3 play in the afternoon - then we will know we go in unchanged.
thanks for clearing that up mate...

I do remember Eddy being mentioned as one of the best for Sandringham, did Begley and McEvoy play at all last week??

If one or both didn't, one hopes they both get a game for Sandi this week so that they get some match fitness in them, otherwise one or both will become less hardened to having a match under their belt
You imagine 2 of the emergencies would probably play...Just in case some last minute mishap occurs.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Our team against Freo is nearly as bad as this one:

Nice link vacuous, just reading through a few of them...not sure Art Vanderlay has posted since.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
yipper wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:I think X would still be building match fitness...so why rush him?
The problem with this is that the emergencies like Begley, McEvoy and Eddy don't get the match fitness
Yes they do mate - they still play in the 2's. If all 3 play in the afternoon - then we will know we go in unchanged.
thanks for clearing that up mate...

I do remember Eddy being mentioned as one of the best for Sandringham, did Begley and McEvoy play at all last week??

If one or both didn't, one hopes they both get a game for Sandi this week so that they get some match fitness in them, otherwise one or both will become less hardened to having a match under their belt
You imagine 2 of the emergencies would probably play...Just in case some last minute mishap occurs.
I'm pretty sure I read reports from the Sandy vs Casey game which mentioned all 3 emergencies playing. IIRC McEvoy was amongst the best players for Sandy.
But last week's Sandy game was after the Saints game whereas this week's is before the Saints game.
I would not be surprized if 1 of the emergencies did not play for Sandy this week, even if there is eventually no change in the Saints team.

spert
Saintsational Legend

X or Goose will still need to show RL with a few more games, that their bodies can hold up to the pressure of the seniors -there's a big gap between VFL and AFL. I don't think Raph is a walk up selection either, but see what happens after the next game. We watched a replay of the WCE game and everyone did their bit..that's the only way you win by that much. So the only change would be Max for the inexperienced Zac, though maybe Max needs a game in the VFL to prove he can see a game out before selection.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote:
vacuous space wrote:Our team against Freo is nearly as bad as this one:

Nice link vacuous, just reading through a few of them...not sure Art Vanderlay has posted since.
funny reckon Art would still be trying to chip the egg off from those hard toget to places on your face

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You would be spewing if you were first emerg.....and missed a chance to impress, and a player was out next week, but after a blinder at Sandy another player leap-frogged you......a problem with the system IMO....
Players lalso ose match condition miss a game of footy, a chance to show their abilities....and these fringe players have their career on the line generally......

ask Shane Birss what he thinks of sitting out as an emerg....

Plus the who issue of match playments is interesting...

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Don't see how Raph comes straight back in. Surely you have to play more than a couple of good games in an entire career to be a walk up selection. Signs were better at the end of last year, but he hasn't got anywhere near enough credits in the bank to be a walk up starter

Bring back the Lockett era
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Don't see how Raph comes straight back in. Surely you have to play more than a couple of good games in an entire career to be a walk up selection. Signs were better at the end of last year, but he hasn't got anywhere near enough credits in the bank to be a walk up starter
agreed. i'd have x in the team before raph. raph needs to show a good performance in the twos before coming back in. x has already had three bogs in a row. pick the players who are in form.

To the top
SS Life Member

You would like to be in a position to select your BEST players.

And we have a few who, in normal circumstances, would easily be in our BEST 22 not currently in the side.

We have beaten both Sydney (home) and Adelaide (away), who were finalists last year.

But until we come up against the other sides which finished top 4 last year, and particularly the 2 who competed in the Grand Final, we just do not know.

When we do play the other sides that finished top 4 last year, I would trust that we can put our BEST 22 on the park - or pretty close to it.

That is when reputations will be consolidated.

Plus against sides which have traditionally caused us problem - like Port Adelaide.

SinCitySaint
Club Player

There is no way that X should come back in without a few more weeks with Sandy. It has to be a case of once bitten twice shy with X. He has yet to show that his body is up to the rigors of AFL football. He must prove that he can be resiliant at the lower level before being offered the jump up in intensity. There is no dout that a fully fit X is a valuable player and an asset to the team but that concept of a fully fit X is one we have not seen for a long time and I, for one, am yet to be convinced that we ever will again. I hope he can prove me wrong.