The Fox Report - Round 3

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:if you look at the eagles forum
http://www.eaglesflyinghigh.com/forum/v ... &start=255

and they you would think would be objective about the saints performance. . their main comments were our tackling, the forward pressure , and they thought that we could go far in this season if can can keep this style of footy up.
From that site:
But how good was St Kilda? They were magnificent. They displayed near perfect footy. They were stronger, harder and more hungrier at the footy. They suffocated and squeezed any flowing movement from us from the get go. Thats the level our boys need to aspire to and lets hope they all learnt a valuable lesson yesterday.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Fox Report - Round 3

yipper wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
yipper wrote: How do you know? You stated you have not been to the game, nor watched any tape of it in your post of this morning!! Are you assuming he made 10 errors and gave away 3 free kicks??
There's this little thing called the Internet.
Oh well then - it must be absolute right then!! What were the errors he made exactly??
Those of us at the game, and again watching the reply, would reckon Blake played very, very well.
Blake was very good.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
TheOptimist
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
yipper wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
yipper wrote: How do you know? You stated you have not been to the game, nor watched any tape of it in your post of this morning!! Are you assuming he made 10 errors and gave away 3 free kicks??
There's this little thing called the Internet.
Oh well then - it must be absolute right then!! What were the errors he made exactly??
Those of us at the game, and again watching the reply, would reckon Blake played very, very well.
Blake was very good.
Ye, he has been a revelation since being given a fixed position. SOS has worked wonders and transformed him into a solid defender.

This is just one more example of being to finally able to play our players in their most dangerous positions. BJ at FF was another.

So far, I see us more "rounded" and balanced this year, which to ensure a more sustainable effort than 2004. The big test will come later this year to see if the boys can maintain the current level of intensity.

... Oh how I want to be with St Kilda!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

The ruck duo is an interesting one. Playing very good footy both of them. Two ruckmen who have more than one string to their bows. As per GTs infamous misquote, ruckman who only contest hitouts then render you one man down after that, are useless..
rodgerfox wrote:
Not sure why you mention GT...he is on record that he would have taken neither. GT's problem is that he was not willing to aquire a good ruckman and was content to get Ackland, Knoble and Rix...and tried to play a young talent in the role of ruck despite the fact that Kosi never aquire anysemblemce of actually taking to the art of ruckwork.

A large part of our improvementi this year is due to having a good ruck division. It is no coincidence that in 97 with Everitt and Lazr firing that we had a good year.

Fortunately, we have 2 guys who offer good contests at bounces. They offer aggression. And they also offer a goal or two given the chance.
Most teams will have one good ruckman, and a plodder off the bench. We have 2 pretty good options.
Keeping them fit is the key.
It has nothing to do with "fortune"...it was Lyon's call and all credit goes to him.

As to Gardi.. a lot of his problems stemmed from his feet. Now that both have been operated on and largely rectified it should be all steam ahead....apart from the "normal" run of injuries.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

read the first line of the OP and stopped.....
if you havent seen the game , whats the point in me reading any further.?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Fortunately, we have 2 guys who offer good contests at bounces. They offer aggression. And they also offer a goal or two given the chance.
Most teams will have one good ruckman, and a plodder off the bench. We have 2 pretty good options.
Keeping them fit is the key.
It has nothing to do with "fortune"...it was Lyon's call and all credit goes to him.

As to Gardi.. a lot of his problems stemmed from his feet. Now that both have been operated on and largely rectified it should be all steam ahead....apart from the "normal" run of injuries.
Have to agree with SrR. It has nothing to do with fortune and everything to do with the current coach and his philosophy re ruck work.

When we lost Ackland unexpectantly - Lyon recruited Doc Clarke to fill the hole as a stop gap. Even though it wasn't a success it showed everyone what Lyon was about re Ruckmen.

Now we have a fully fit Gardiner and King and the mids are reaping the dividends.

GT stated on SEN he never would have recruited Gardiner and King and that is fair enough - his philosophy - but to state it was fortunate is not correct.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

saintly wrote:if you look at the eagles forum
http://www.eaglesflyinghigh.com/forum/v ... &start=255

and they you would think would be objective about the saints performance. . their main comments were our tackling, the forward pressure , and they thought that we could go far in this season if can can keep this style of footy up.
It's kind of heartening to see another club's forum... having similar discussions about their players, consistency week-to-week etc.

I got a couple of wry smiles from these:
Watching the game I was struck with a sense of Dejavu.

Rd9 2004 Docklands
St Kilda : 6.4 , 13.7 , 19.9 , 26.13 (169)
West Coast : 3.3 , 6.8 , 9.10 , 9.14 (68)

And of course St Kilda went on to win the Pre ... oh that's right they didn't !
And -
Saints were awesome, tackling pressure was very good, and when Zac Dawson kicks a goal, you know you have had a bad day.On to the Doggies.
Also good to see an opposition fanbase that knows Clinton Jones' name. A just reward for a stellar performance - good on him.

yipper
SS Life Member

matrixcutter wrote:read the first line of the OP and stopped.....
Yes, quite ridiculous to comment on something you admit you know nothing about - i.e.Rd 3!! And to then come out and make an emphatic statement that Blake made 10 errors!! - cos he saw it on the internet!! What a joke!!

Still waiting Rodg on what those 10 errors you so emphatically declared to us all actually were??

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
ThePunter
Club Player

I honestly don't remember Blake making an error, and I can remember plenty of dodgy decisions being made by the umpires.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
Still waiting Rodg on what those 10 errors you so emphatically declared to us all actually were??
Emphatically?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: It has nothing to do with "fortune"...it was Lyon's call and all credit goes to him.
I think it's fair to say it's pretty lucky, or fortunate, that 2 club's discarded ruckmen, and that other clubs in the AFL wanted them, and that we got them dirt cheap.

Sure, some very good management to get them both up and running at the same time for a month considering their histories, but pretty fortunate that they fell into our laps.

For the record, I thought King was a great get. Gardiner, I didn't. Clarke, I definately didn't.

yipper
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
He made 10 errors and gave away 3 frees.
Nothing to ambiguous about that - maybe emphatic was to descriptive. Just a blunt, no room for doubt statement then!!

So, what were the errors Rodg. 10 of em!! You saw this stat on the internet - so it must be correct, now for those of us who rely on our own eyesight what were the errors??

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
markp
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:read the first line of the OP and stopped.....
I think he usually only watches on TV anyway.... which unfortunately is a bit like watching through a keyhole, or with blinkers on.

yipper
SS Life Member

Still waiting Rodg. Care to share with us what those 10 errors Jason Blake made were on Saturday. Afterall, you saw this info on the internet!!

You made this statement in reply to someone stating that Blake played well on Saturday (someone who was at the game!!!) - so obviously you don't agree that he played well based on what you saw on the internet. Having gone to the trouble to highlight to us all that he made 10 errors - what were they??

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
He made 10 errors and gave away 3 frees.
Nothing to ambiguous about that - maybe emphatic was to descriptive. Just a blunt, no room for doubt statement then!!

So, what were the errors Rodg. 10 of em!! You saw this stat on the internet - so it must be correct, now for those of us who rely on our own eyesight what were the errors??
Oh dear.

Not sure why you're persuing such a trivial matter, but anyway...

Forgive me if I trust the eyesight of professional statistician over bias Saints fans watching the game as a barracker.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote: You made this statement in reply to someone stating that Blake played well on Saturday (someone who was at the game!!!) - so obviously you don't agree that he played well based on what you saw on the internet. Having gone to the trouble to highlight to us all that he made 10 errors - what were they??
A backmen, who according to the official statisticians at the game, made 10 errors and gave away 3 free-kicks, cannot have played very well.

In a GF, could you afford to have someone play 'very well' whilst making 10 errors and giving away 3 free kicks?

I don't think so.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:Forgive me if I trust the eyesight of professional statistician over bias Saints fans watching the game as a barracker.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 69,00.html

Champion Data had him on 4 clangers three of which were frees against. His disposal was at 90% efficiency.

Don't know where the ten errors comes from at all.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
markp
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:Still waiting Rodg. Care to share with us what those 10 errors Jason Blake made were on Saturday. Afterall, you saw this info on the internet!!

You made this statement in reply to someone stating that Blake played well on Saturday (someone who was at the game!!!) - so obviously you don't agree that he played well based on what you saw on the internet. Having gone to the trouble to highlight to us all that he made 10 errors - what were they??
I was at the game and I can only think of 8... :? :wink:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Forgive me if I trust the eyesight of professional statistician over bias Saints fans watching the game as a barracker.

Champion Data had him on 4 clangers three of which were frees against. His disposal was at 90% efficiency.

I think Champion Data's figures are only based on when he has the ball.

Most accurate stats take into account more than just that.

yipper
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:

Neither do I, he did take 10 marks however - reckon someone been reading the wrong columns from his " professional statitician".
Player K HB D M G B T HO GA GC I50 FF FA DT SC

Jason Blake 14 7 21 10 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 3 81 74

GA - Goal Assists, I50 - Inside 50s, GC - Goals Contributed (Goals + Goal Assists)

HarveysDeciple

rodgerfox wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

How bout watching the game first?

Your deciding he played poorly because one stat sheet told you so.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

What a complete load of self indulgent crap!

For someone who does not even bother going to the footy, who didn't even watch last weeks game on TV, who has really no perspective on the game whatsoever, we once again are subjected to this self absorbed, self indulgent attention seeking nonsense!

For starters dodgy, Lyon inherited a list in decline due to poor development of the list for almost 5 years and has spent the past few seasons rebuilding it!

The game plan that Lyon is using is as a result of addressing the almost non existant defensive side of the game that our players were never taught from day one, so it takes time for this adjustment to kick in and then be tweaked accordingly, which is precisely what is happening!

AND not forgetting that if your hero was still coaching, Milne, Gardiner and most likely King would not now be in red white and black!

AND, fortunately we now have a coach who does not think that fitness and conditioning staff are over rated!

Yes that's what your hero thinks, dodgy, which is ironic because this is probably what cost him a flag!

NOW please, if you're going to subject us all to your self absorbed drivel, can you at least watch the game :roll:

FAIR DINKUM
Last edited by barks4eva on Tue 14 Apr 2009 4:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

what? so there are teams of people at every game recording missed tackles, missed sheherds/blocks, too slow running to the interchange, attempted punch in marking contest that missed.... the list is endless

yes clubs may have them but I have never seen anything like that published.

Blake was beaten a couple of times when the ball came in quickly and the big power forwards were one out

He also gave away a couple of soft hands in the back, that although soft were there. Unfortunately that is always the lot of the trailing backman now days.

I think it was on Saturday when one of the commentators rated Blake the best versatile player in the comp!!!!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:
Your deciding he played poorly because one stat sheet told you so.
Who said he played poorly?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:I think Champion Data's figures are only based on when he has the ball.

Do these stats exist anywhere that people other than you can see them?

Yeah nah pleasing positive