stories about when you have met saints players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

got drunk as with ed mcdonnel...knew each other through mutual mates and had a blinder

got drunk the night with armo the night he was drafted (from memory) again through mutual mates...

he can hold his booze...i was left for dead spewing in the bathroom

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Has anyone got photos of these events/meetings?
I would love to see photos - particularly of those who are talking about people in the 70s and beforehand... that would just be wonderful!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:I met stephen milne at the Mathoura caravan park it was in 2006.... top bloke
Mathoura or Picnic Point ? !!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:got drunk as with ed mcdonnel...knew each other through mutual mates and had a blinder

got drunk the night with armo the night he was drafted (from memory) again through mutual mates...

PLEASE SP2008 this is not an attack, just an observation, as your views are stated
Personally I think alcohol is a more of a problem than illegal/rec drugs in the AFL. I hope Armitage has changed his ways since.

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

markinUSA wrote:Has anyone got photos of these events/meetings?
I would love to see photos - particularly of those who are talking about people in the 70s and beforehand... that would just be wonderful!
Dont hold your breathe, but I will try to dig up the Breen, Carl photo.

Seeya
SaintHomer
Club Player

i have loved, supported and been a member of the saints for many, many years. like many others, my favourite all time is the great man Harvey. up till a couple of years ago, i had never met any player. then here i was, p!ssed as a parrot at the cox plate, standing at the urinal when i look to my right and here is the great man. i couldn't believe it. of all times and all the places. all i remember blurting out was "harvesssss". he would then have thought me a tosser of course. i finished as quickly as i could, ran out of the loo into the crowd, only to never see the great man again (in person that is).

spewin. i went back to my mates (who know what a huge saints fan i am), only to have them all in hysterics over the irony of my predicament.

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Bumped into Mad Dog Muir in a Bendigo pub a couple of years back. He was working in town & having a couple of beers whilst waiting for Val Perovic.
He mentioned that they were having trouble finding somewhere to stay overnight.
Of course, me being quite intoxicated (lt was BFL GF day) said, "Maaate, you played for the Sainters, so as far as l'm concerned you're family! You can stay at my joint"
Perhaps luckily, Val then rang to say he'd found somewhere.
Great bloke & didn't mind being called Mad Dog, luckily.

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Met Stewie Leowe around about 1990. It was at the Manhattan Hotel in Ringwood and Stewie was there to do a promo for "PubTab" with Shelly O'Donnell (netballer & Gary's sister).

Both were absolutely fantastic with the patrons and staff although Stewie turned up a bit late because he couldn't find the place. Anyone who knows the area will tell you that it's one of the biggest pubs in the East !!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Barry Breen can be a bit up himself at times.

My ex and I had dinner with him and a floosie the ex worked with in the late '70s or early '80s.

Nice meal prepared by the floosie.

Barry was great to talk to, even remembered a schoolboy game I played on him in '64 or '65.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintly_safes
Club Player

We went to a function in Perth before a St.kilda Freo game .Kosi was suspended for tripping & wasnt playing but was part of the touring group. The players were mingling around the tables & Kosi came across to our table to have a chat but there were no spare seats so i said to my wife you can sit with me on my chair & give Kosi her seat & he agreed & sat down & was talking to all the people on the table & was a real genuine good bloke. He was on our table for at least an hour & by the time he had to leave to get on the bus my wife had deserted me & was sharing Kosi's chair with her back to me chatting away like they were long lost buddy's & from that day on Kosi was her idol .Now Kosi has decided to tie the knot my wife is devistated :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I went up and had a chat to Aaron Hamill one night at Crown, he was very nice and actually seemed quite shy (which surprised me given his onfield demeanor) and he signed an autograph for me...

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote: this was shortly after he arrived at the club so I had a pre-conceived thought that he would be a seedy, arrogant prick but he was a fantastic bloke to me.
He's pretty scary after midnight.

Pretty scary indeed.

GrumpyOne

I did share a urinal with Plugger at Kelly's Pub in Cranny once. It was the night he was told by his manager Robert Hession that he couldn't go to Richmond or Collingwood, which was his preferences, but would have to go to Sydney.

He was definately not a happy man on the night, so I kept my eyes firmly affixed to the front, and did not peek. :wink:

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote: got drunk the night with armo the night he was drafted (from memory) again through mutual mates...

Did this catch anyone else's attention?

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Last year I was down in the TD change rooms after the game. About 40 minutes after the game Milney was still in his gear, including boots, and was talking to a large group of kids. Harvey was doing a radio interview and everyone else was in tracksuits.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

B W and R all over wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote: got drunk the night with armo the night he was drafted (from memory) again through mutual mates...

Did this catch anyone else's attention?
mate....don't read too much into it

he just got drafted and so did another one of my mates, thats it...some people can hold their booze and drink and other's can't (i.e me)

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.