St Kilda in one-horse race to sign Ben Cousins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'm waiting for the back page wording" Sinner to Saint" .....it'll make me vomit :lol: I'm very happy the bloke has been giving another chance, and on top of that I'm really glad it appears he's coming over to do it with us!

Hamill was right in saying we've now got the culture to aid such a player and give him the best possible chance to resume his career. We'd be silly to let him go IMHO
Last edited by St. Luke on Fri 21 Nov 2008 11:15am, edited 1 time in total.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am still scratching my head as to why sponsors would be wary to throw their support behind a club who picks up Ben Cousins. Am I so niave, that I can't see how supporting a club that supports drug rehabilitation would be detrimentle to a sponsor?

Why would it be so negative for a brand if it was marketed "XYZ Company - supporting the fight against addiction

Even if worse case scenario the guy relapses, how does that in anyway take away from the cause? Socially we will never even begin to scratch the surface in trying to beat the fight against drugs as long as the word "addiction" has so much stigma attached to it.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:I heard that yesterday he admitted to being addicted to drugs for 10 years. I also believe there are drugs you can take to "mask" drugs in your system. I really know little about it. If he has been lying and not been caught in 10 years, there is a major problem. Do we really need such a distraction and do we want this sort of influence on our young guys? Surely he would have a contract that was one strike and you are out. If he does mess up, how will it affect us, the media would have a field day with the typical St Kilda thing etc and how would the sponsors respond and this is not taking into acct memberships. A very big risk in my book.
Saint Bev, I don't like drugs. Not into them, although many if not most of my freinds are right into them.

People you wouldn't suspect. Mild mannered, law abiding, nice human beings.

Drugs are basically the booze of the 21st Century.

When I was 16 I'd go to parties and drink beer until I chundered. Some kids would occasionally be taken to hospital to get their stomachs pumped. Some kids (none that I know thank goodness) have died from excessive alcohol intake. Kids would have fights.

Some people who drink become aggressive, wife beating deadbeats. Alocoholism is a major scourge on our society - and has been for 100 years.

Now, 16 year olds go to parties and take pills. They sometimes get sick, get into fights etc. etc.

Some become street begging, aggressive deadbeats. Drug taking is becoming a scourge on our society - if it isn't already.

There's just not that much difference. The only major difference is that we, adults who have 'been there and done that' often haven't 'been there and done that' when it comes to recreational drugs. We don't understand them, therefore we fear them.

They're bad.

Really bad for some.

But so is booze, so are cigarettes. so is gambling. However the older generation have experience with those things, so aren't afraid of them as much.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

It's not about sponsers having a problem turning around a fallen star, I would imagine they all would love that angel and in the very least not be worried about it.

Where the problem with sponsers come in is if Ben starts to get into trouble and that creates a bad image for the club and therefore for the sponsers, which is a real danger with the economic crisis almost guareenteed to hit the housing industry.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Sponsors like to associate themselves with winners, and use sport to create brand awareness. Hence the trepidation.

If it goes pear shape, there would be an "out" for the club and sponsor, because BC would be shown the door immediately.

So it's: Ok, we did our best coz we are compassionate and wanted to help him... it's his fault.

Or, How good are we that we helped get his life on track. What a great club!

BTW, any chance we could get Oddesy House as a spnsor :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
BTW, any chance we could get Oddesy House as a spnsor :wink:
:lol: I was thinking "Drugarm" perhaps 8-)

I don't think too many people out there would like to see him rubbed out of the game permanently. He definately deserves another chance (with ANY club!). Can you imagine the heckling we're going to recieve off the Filth next season??? And that'd probably be coming from the biggest core group of drug addicts this side of Cuba :lol:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Everyone deserves a second chance. He's been addicted to drugs. F*** me, most of the population has an addiction of one kind or another. He hasn't killed anyone, done anyone any physical harm, robbed anyone or trashed any public property.
He grew up in the West and was told from age 16 that the sun shone out of his butt and that he was a god. On top of that, the worshippers in the West, (and believe me it's a fishbowl) gave him hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and told him that he didn't have to work like normal people, playing footy was enough. No surprise at all that a young bloke went off the rails and thought he was invincible. Everyone around him was telling him so.

It's just a story about a kid with a big head having it knocked into shape the hard way. I'm with Roger on this one, the whole thing is mightily overblown. Let him play footy.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:It's not about sponsers having a problem turning around a fallen star, I would imagine they all would love that angel and in the very least not be worried about it.

Where the problem with sponsers come in is if Ben starts to get into trouble and that creates a bad image for the club and therefore for the sponsers, which is a real danger with the economic crisis almost guareenteed to hit the housing industry.
in a situation like this as a sponser will jump at the chance to have thier logo splashed all over the TV good or ba its about brand recognition notice when the didak saga was going on Eddid was sitting infront of the Lexus logo with the emerites logo prodominant exposure to you brand is exposure to you brand if its possitive or negative it is still good from a marketing point of veiw

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

s.hit if Cousins played that well on the gear for 10 years - imagine how he will play clean.

Or mabye not...

Who knows. the one thing known is that through all the moralistic claptrap, every club has players dabbling in drugs, at least 6 have tested positive twice, and there are many many more who have positive tested once.

And to the worry wart who think our"brand" will be tarnished - pfft :roll:

What crap. The only brand that will be tarnished is the Ben Cousins brand.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintm
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:It's not about sponsers having a problem turning around a fallen star, I would imagine they all would love that angel and in the very least not be worried about it.

in a situation like this as a sponser will jump at the chance to have thier logo splashed all over the TV good or ba its about brand recognition notice when the didak saga was going on Eddid was sitting infront of the Lexus logo with the emerites logo prodominant exposure to you brand is exposure to you brand if its possitive or negative it is still good from a marketing point of veiw
Not sure whether it was a Club or sponsor action but by the time the Collingwood saga went into overdrive the sponsors banners were removed altogether so as they were not seen to be associated with the events. I remember the action being commented on in the media.

edit : on thinking about it, not sure if the above was after the Didak saga or this years events. Guess you get confused when there's a few to choose from!!
Last edited by saintm on Fri 21 Nov 2008 1:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Devine Group chief executive David Devine, whose company commits $300,000 a year to the Lions, last night said he did not support recruiting Cousins.
"The risk would be that he would fall back into his old ways, which would be a bad reflection on all of us," Devine said. "So I as a sponsor would prefer to see them go after a younger recruit rather than someone who has some baggage attached to him.

There are repercussions like the above quote from a Brisbane sponser, Sponser spend millions of dollars to get there name known and associated with a brand that there target audience is interested in, Drug rehab wouldn't be high on the list but wouldn't be a huge deterant either. Drug use, miss behaviour and crimnal activities would be hugely detremental to there brand being associated with.
Last edited by ausfatcat on Fri 21 Nov 2008 1:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Yes I know drugs is part of society these days, but it is still illegal. I'm not trying to get on a moral high ground. If he has been doing this for 10 years and hasn't felt a need to do something about till he lost his job so to speak, how committed is he? He has freely admitted he has an addicitive personality. I guess the thing is with BC is that he is such a high profile person. Everyone will be watching him like a hawk.

As far as we are concerned, if things go pear shape I just don't see people being all understanding about it. Drug addicts are perceived as being the low life of society. Regardless of how St Kilda handles this, the media would give us hell. Which could wreck our season, our sponsors and effect us in a big way and thats whats concerns me most.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
ctqs
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
St Igmata wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Without stating the obvious, the whole Ben Cousins drud saga is the single most over inflated 'news' story of this decade.

We have guys on our list being accused of things worse than anything Cousins has done.

Other clubs have guys on their list who have done and are still doing exactly what Cousins has done. So do we.

What a yawn.

Draft him. If he plays well, he gets a game. If we win, everyone's happy.

If he can't abide by the rules our of club, then we deal with him the same way we deal with anyone else who doesn't.

Absolute farce this is.
I'm not too sure it is a farce.
IT wont be a matter of drafting him and axeing him if he "cant abide by the rules".
The repercussions of a Cousins in trouble will be devestating.Make no mistake about it!
The brand will be shredded and the losses will be great.
Why?

Give me one good reason why?

We had two blokes on the verge of being chraged with rape. What was the repercussions of that?

Seriously, people over-inflate the care factor of footy it's hilarious.

No one really cares. The papers do, and they want you to care too. Cause it will sell more.

But in the end, big friccken deal.
There are some major issues in what you're saying. What, exactly, is it that Cousins was doing, that some of our players still are?
The two players referred to were only investigated after an allegation was made. What do you mean they were "on the verge" of being charged?
Lets see if you can come up with a third way to defame our players.
And you're trying to have it both ways by saying nobody cares about the issue except for the papers, because they sell more when it's in there. There's a massive contradiction in that statement.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

ausfatcat wrote:
Devine Group chief executive David Devine, whose company commits $300,000 a year to the Lions, last night said he did not support recruiting Cousins.
"The risk would be that he would fall back into his old ways, which would be a bad reflection on all of us," Devine said. "So I as a sponsor would prefer to see them go after a younger recruit rather than someone who has some baggage attached to him.

There are repercussions like the above quote from a Brisbane sponser, Sponser spend millions of dollars to get there name known and associated with a brand that there target audience is interested in, Drug rehab wouldn't be high on the list but wouldn't be a huge deterant either. Drug use, miss behaviour and crimnal activities would be hugely detremental to there brand being associated with.
Sponsorship is a different game in different markets, even before we consider the AFL aspect, anyone who's done business in both Vic and Qld can tell you how different the markets are.

From a sponsorship perspective, the Lions (and their sponsors) fight for market share against Rugby - if anything goes wrong with Cousins in Brisbane, the risk isn't negative publicity, it's people turning off the TV and the game... lack of exposure. There's also (in my experience) much closer percieved relationship between partners in the Qld market. The association with Cousins would be percieved as existing there, where here in Vic, the sponsors are expected to be cashcows in exchange for branding. In Victoria, we don't really associate Lexus and Alan Didak, it's only in specific circumstances (i.e. the TAC) that we've any expectations of the sponsors taking a moral position.

To be cynical for a moment - I'd take a comment like that above one from the Lions sponsors as some great opportune marketing. Never can go wrong telling the public that your organisation isn't pro-drugs... at the moment it isn't confirmed that the Lions were deeply interested, or that it was ever an option.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
ctqs
Club Player

st.byron wrote:Everyone deserves a second chance. He's been addicted to drugs. F*** me, most of the population has an addiction of one kind or another. He hasn't killed anyone, done anyone any physical harm, robbed anyone or trashed any public property.
He grew up in the West and was told from age 16 that the sun shone out of his butt and that he was a god. On top of that, the worshippers in the West, (and believe me it's a fishbowl) gave him hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and told him that he didn't have to work like normal people, playing footy was enough. No surprise at all that a young bloke went off the rails and thought he was invincible. Everyone around him was telling him so.

It's just a story about a kid with a big head having it knocked into shape the hard way. I'm with Roger on this one, the whole thing is mightily overblown. Let him play footy.
You make some valid points but he was old enough to know better. Instead of being gracious and grateful, it wasn't enough and he wanted more. And while he's never killed, robbed or trashed anyone or their property, he's paid money to those who have i.e. those who manufacture and supply the stuff.
He does deserve a chance to show he's on the right path, and hopefully teach others about the errors of his ways. While I honestly hope he proves me wrong, I don't think he's ready just yet.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
StSteven
Club Player

This thread already shows the problem we will have...it will be all about Ben......not the St Kilda Football Club.

Prefer to take a young recruit.

loris
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:This thread already shows the problem we will have...it will be all about Ben......not the St Kilda Football Club.

Prefer to take a young recruit.
Yep and ever shall it be...... it's always been 'all about Ben'........ just ask teachers from Wesley College in Perth where he was on a footy scholarship...all about looking after Ben then not the reputation of the College when he first began stuffing up there....all about looking after Ben when he continually stuffed up at the Eagles.

Oh well I hope the Saints don't try to re-invent the wheel :roll:

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Jeld-Wen & Ben Cousins: As one door shuts, another one opens... :shock:

It appears that are are a few supporters who live in glass houses, and are lining up to cast the first stone.

At least we won't die wondering...
Last edited by WayneJudson42 on Fri 21 Nov 2008 2:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
loris
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Jeld-Wen & Benn Cousins: As one door shuts, another one opens... :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote: We had two blokes on the verge of being chraged with rape. What was the repercussions of that?

Seriously, people over-inflate the care factor of footy it's hilarious.

No one really cares. The papers do, and they want you to care too. Cause it will sell more.

But in the end, big friccken deal.

Couldn't agree more.
For half of 2004 we didn't know whether or not Joey and Milney would go to the big house. The consequences of that - a preliminary final appearance.

As for off-field behaviour, it didn't hurt the Eagles in 06. And we all know Hawthorn aren't exactly a bunch of choirboys. Didn't seem to matter this year.

Like you said, the papers want us to care but it really makes no difference.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

ctqs wrote:
st.byron wrote:Everyone deserves a second chance. He's been addicted to drugs. F*** me, most of the population has an addiction of one kind or another. He hasn't killed anyone, done anyone any physical harm, robbed anyone or trashed any public property.

You make some valid points but he was old enough to know better. Instead of being gracious and grateful, it wasn't enough and he wanted more. And while he's never killed, robbed or trashed anyone or their property, he's paid money to those who have i.e. those who manufacture and supply the stuff.
He does deserve a chance to show he's on the right path, and hopefully teach others about the errors of his ways. While I honestly hope he proves me wrong, I don't think he's ready just yet.
While these threads are moderately interesting, 2 things come through in spades:

1) The tone of indignance that prevailed while he was at WCE has dissapeared now that he's a favorite to come to the Saints.

2) We're all more than willing to make assumption in place of facts.

If supporting black marketeers were a crime, even some of the most righteous among us would find that without intent, they'd done so. I certainly know of a couple of bars in Fitzroy and South Yarra (as popular nightspots) with dubious links, and have no doubt I've spent money in places I had no idea had such ownership - these days few frequent based on the publican... and bars are just a small example. Cousins wanted a product, and that product was part of an industry that supported other harmful things... those other things say absolutely nothing about Ben whatsoever. Certainly less than some of the company he kept, and that's something the club should be keeping an eye on.

The thing that fascinates me is that this is a human issue which prior to Cousins got a certain level of play among a certain demographic - we had experts, we had the wisdom of the experience of some. One of the things the Cousins saga has shown is that the wider public having paid some attention ahdn't really endorsed the experts after all. As I said, a human issue, none of us really know where Ben's at in recovery... some can be daily junkies and recover quickly. Some can be responsible jobgoing individuals for years, and be unable to kick a habit - and everything in between.

If Ben Cousins successfully makes this comeback and doesn't fall off the horse, he will become more iconic than ever. The trouble is, if it's a sporting icon (can't we all just imagine the doco in 5 years - sinner to Saint?) ti will do few any good. If it's a human icon, inclusive of continuing flaws, it has the power to be something very good for society, not just the Saints.

Until then, he's just a guy who found out the hard way that he really isn't invincible, and the drugs are stronger than he is. It may not be iconic, but it shouldn't prevent him from making a living doing the one thing in the world he's better at than 99% of the planet.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

To hell with all the moralistic pontificating!

I m pretty sure he hasnt killed anyone, and the only damage he has done is to himnself.

We have a group whose premiership window is rapidly closing, as much as I hate that term.

So, you wanna win a flag or what ??!! :shock:

Pilgram
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:So, you wanna win a flag or what ??!! :shock:
i believe that answer may be yes, although it would warrant further consultation.

ace
Saintsational Legend

How are we going to keep Cousins away from Shane Warne's marijuana stash?
Taking one of mum's diuretics to flush his system, afterwards, isn't going to fool the drug testers.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Pilgram
Club Player

ace wrote:How are we going to keep Cousins away from Shane Warne's marijuana stash?
the only way as i see it is the game of golf.