3rd Tall Forward ? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintforever

The 3rd forward is overrated unless you can change the focus on going to 12 at every chance they get....even with 3 backman on him...Charlie ,Kosi and Snids leads atleast a dozon times a quarter...from what ive seen and just get ignored...3rd forward will be handy if used ....game plan has to change or players have to be smarter...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saintforever wrote:The 3rd forward is overrated.
we're not really talking about the 3rd tall ... that would be kosi, who is second ruck.

we're talking about a second key forward.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I think McEvoy could be a surprise in 2009 & play as a deep forward.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:I think McEvoy could be a surprise in 2009 & play as a deep forward.
is he a bit too much like kosi ... a ruck forward rather than a key forward?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saintforever wrote:The 3rd forward is overrated unless you can change the focus on going to 12 at every chance they get....even with 3 backman on him...Charlie ,Kosi and Snids leads atleast a dozon times a quarter...from what ive seen and just get ignored...3rd forward will be handy if used ....game plan has to change or players have to be smarter...
having 6 good players in the forward 6 should be the aim.
rememember mark williams almost kicked a ton one year when the hawks were crap.

but agree. hawks looked better when they were just kicking to buddy every time. saints need to be less predictable. but i guess players will kick to players when they become confident in the target. at this stage the only guy you can be confident of kicking to is 12.

we need another quality player up there.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:I think McEvoy could be a surprise in 2009 & play as a deep forward.
any reason to think that? or just hope/wishful thiking? is he athletic enough? agile? good kick? goodmark on the lead? ihas ever kicked a bag in junior footy?

i doubt he would have the leg speed. maybe the odd pack mark like will minson or kosi but unlikely to be a regular week in week out forward contributor.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:3 tall fowards are too cumbersome unless they are all like Roo..

What we need is a medium forward.

I would love O'Keefe...but it is not going to happen..
okeefe would be awesome for us. hed be the new hammil - hard nosed half forward - strong body - strong hands (but with a straighter kick than aaron). perfect.

dont think it will happen though :cry:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

spiral2 wrote:I think the key is versatility
if some of our backmen are capable of playing forward when the match-ups suit then why not? goddard, gilbert, raph, chips, goose and even grammy could all be damaging in the front half. I'm not suggesting all the time but if we can mix it up and throw these guys around then why not?

the most dangerous aspect of Hawthorn's forward line was the number of options - Buddy, Roughhead, Williams, Rioli, Brown

don't forget Frase was full back before he was a dual coleman medalist
how do we know that Sam wouldn't make a better forward than backman? he was a forward when recruited.
I think anything is worth a try and I'm desperate to see some quality support for Roo in the forward line. It's far to easy to shut our forward line down at the moment - stop Roo and Milne = stop St Kilda kicking a decent score.

if we can cover chips down back then why not throw him forward at times? he's got all the skills to be a quality forward.
agree. problem is quality. we can rely on chips to play 5 positions. taking him from back would leave a hole there.

we need a new quality player from outside the current 22 to improve.

so o'keefe or an improved jarryd allen.

dare i say it - nick davis?

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Am I the only one who thinks as a defender Sam Fisher is overrated?:

Yes

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Am I the only one who thinks as a defender Sam Fisher is overrated?:

Yes
I am also thinking yes....