Duffle Coats

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

esaint66
SS Life Member

STILLWAITING wrote:I do have the digital camera. I will have a crack at your instructions, better yet I wll get my 12 yr old to do it

Hahah Good old generation Y :wink:

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

saint edward wrote:
STILLWAITING wrote:I do have the digital camera. I will have a crack at your instructions, better yet I wll get my 12 yr old to do it

yep, I leave it all to my kids, easier than dealing with frustrating gadgets

I will get the pics to you some time this week, my kids were just looking anf laughing at the hair styles on the badges, specially jeff sarau, and I have just been called old school

esaint66
SS Life Member

STILLWAITING wrote:
saint edward wrote:

yep, I leave it all to my kids, easier than dealing with frustrating gadgets

I will get the pics to you some time this week, my kids were just looking anf laughing at the hair styles on the badges, specially jeff sarau, and I have just been called old school

Hahaha chuck the coat on with the scarf and Beanie that will really get them cackling :wink: :lol:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saint edward wrote:
Spinner wrote:WTF is a duffle coat.... :shock:

Well they were jackets that usaually went down below your knees and didn't have buttons they had little pegs and a rope to keep the 2 sides together.

They were usually worn by the younger fans in the 60's 70's and early 80's they went out when the seating stadiums came in as they were/are very hard to sit down in.

They were forms of Shrines to the wearers club with badges, patches and names and numbers takeing up every spare space on any part of the jacket.
You must have looked quite the dag saint edward.
I have never seen a duffle coat that went below the knee, except one that was too big for the wearer,

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
matrix
Saintsational Legend

hahah
the old duffles
they were pretty big over here for port adelaide and glenelg fans too....
can remember all the kids with them at school.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

I had

Geoff
Cunnningham

and then all the obligatory name tags on the sleeves, the crest on each pocket, and assorted badges.

I actually still have it, although years ago my mother thought it would be a good idea to sell the badges in a garage sale. I still haven't forgiven her for that one.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Duffle Coats

saint edward wrote:My father said if i had chosen the Lions the Coat would have been mine and i added i would also be very miserable :lol: :wink:
Luckily choosing the Saints has brought you a life of happiness, success and peace. As it has for all of us. :lol:

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
esaint66
SS Life Member

Re: Duffle Coats

B W and R all over wrote:
saint edward wrote:My father said if i had chosen the Lions the Coat would have been mine and i added i would also be very miserable :lol: :wink:
Luckily choosing the Saints has brought you a life of happiness, success and peace. As it has for all of us. :lol:

Yeah that's what he reminds me of all the time :lol:

esaint66
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:
saint edward wrote:
Spinner wrote:WTF is a duffle coat.... :shock:

Well they were jackets that usaually went down below your knees and didn't have buttons they had little pegs and a rope to keep the 2 sides together.

They were usually worn by the younger fans in the 60's 70's and early 80's they went out when the seating stadiums came in as they were/are very hard to sit down in.

They were forms of Shrines to the wearers club with badges, patches and names and numbers takeing up every spare space on any part of the jacket.
You must have looked quite the dag saint edward.
I have never seen a duffle coat that went below the knee, except one that was too big for the wearer,

I never actually owned one mate i was about 15 years too young :wink:

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

This thread inspired me to drag mine out of mum's spare wardrobe on the weekend.

Who's who of names on the sleeves! Still have lots of the ones we cast off as well - had to change every year. Trips down the souvenir shop at half time (seeing Molly wandering off to Countdown) were my habit on match days.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:This thread inspired me to drag mine out of mum's spare wardrobe on the weekend.

Who's who of names on the sleeves! Still have lots of the ones we cast off as well - had to change every year. Trips down the souvenir shop at half time (seeing Molly wandering off to Countdown) were my habit on match days.
WOO! Go big Gazza #2!!!

That duffle coat is da bomb...a lot more impressive than mine. Still, I was thankful that I got a second crack at the duffle coat crazy, the first one my parents bought me was beige!!!

Muir_32
Club Player

Great thread... I had
CON
THE GREEK GOD
GOROZIDIS

on my duffle coat...iron on letters and pics......daggy eh

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

sainterstevos wrote:typical feral fans here at www.talkingcarlton.com
Yeah we know mate...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Joffa 5
Club Player

Muir_32 wrote:Great thread... I had
CON
THE GREEK GOD
GOROZIDIS

on my duffle coat...iron on letters and pics......daggy eh
I remember seeing you at moorabin back in the day!! I was actually going to post this one as it has stuck in my mind ever since. Unbelievable!

Muir_32
Club Player

LOLOL.... I remember when Con left the club... I was devastated. Mainly because i couldn't afford to buy another jacket. So i tried to get the iron on transfers off with a razor blade. Sliced my fingers up nicely, as well as putting some big slits on the jacket. I think my Mum through it out, covered in blood....

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

With the mullet, fluro T shirts and the like making a comeback and a new ACDC album on the horizon I would love to see the old duffel coats make a comeback like the rest of 80's culture.

Given that I had chosen the Mighty Saints over my Dads Demons I was not lucky enough to own a duffel coat as Dad wouldnt buy me more a scarf!

I remember the AFL store selling some a while ago but the looked a bit poxy to me

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
esaint66
SS Life Member

Hurricane wrote:With the mullet, fluro T shirts and the like making a comeback and a new ACDC album on the horizon I would love to see the old duffel coats make a comeback like the rest of 80's culture.

Given that I had chosen the Mighty Saints over my Dads Demons I was not lucky enough to own a duffel coat as Dad wouldnt buy me more a scarf!

I remember the AFL store selling some a while ago but the looked a bit poxy to me

BANG BANG

I'm trying to bring it back, i've got more of a duffle flanny :wink: :lol:

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:On the back I had:
Doug
Cox
I had that as well! Then years later he coached the reserves at my club. I played seniors but it was still cool having a yarn with him at functions about those days...

I must have been a sucker for the underdogs (or just plain strange) because while most people had Trevor Barker or the like other people I had on my duffle coat at various times were

Michael 10 Roberts
Silvio 6 Foschini

And I had a Saints jumper with 17 on it for Chris Stone! Random...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
GrumpyOne

Origins of the Duffle Coat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duffle_Coat

Muir_32
Club Player

lol... Chris Stone...I remember him (I THINK). I remember him taking a mark in the goal square at Moorabbin against the Bombers, and kicking a goal in the last quarter.. Think we won by about 5 pts. late 70s Im sure he also wore some sort of goggles to protect his eyes at some stage too while playing.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Muir_32 wrote:lol... Chris Stone...I remember him (I THINK). I remember him taking a mark in the goal square at Moorabbin against the Bombers, and kicking a goal in the last quarter.. Think we won by about 5 pts. late 70s Im sure he also wore some sort of goggles to protect his eyes at some stage too while playing.
That's the one!

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...