I apologise

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

GrumpyOne wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote: Anyone form coach, to supporters to media people, who hasn't wrapped him up to be the 2nd coming of Jesus has been abused and berrated to a ridiculous extent, and unfairly so, IMHO.
Jesus may have been aligned with the Saints, but He didn't play for 21 Seasons in midfield.

:lol:

Anyone who knows their footy will recall that Jesus currently plays for Geelong... as did his father.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I agree with Plugger *ducks*

I love Robert Harvey hes been my hero but as I boraded my train home after the game surrounded by Hawks fans organising tickets to the GF, BBQ's, GF parade trips AND GENERALLY JUST A WEEK OF EXCITEMENT......I couldnt help but think......if only we had the TEAM that could take us to that next step.

I also listen to the talk of great GF sides....the now "in vogue" again 89 battle....and again find us missing something.

I understand why we idolise individuals more than most - even more than Bulldogs etc - and its purely because we simply are the least succesfull club (except for the Gold Coast... :wink: ) in the comp and when you havent had team success but have had some all time greats run round for your club - what else do you have to hang your hat on?....its not that big a jump to see that ingrained into the psych of the club/players.....but it has to stop.

I do believe Lyon is a team man - hes not into individual self flagellation and I hope he proves ruthless to get the ultimate..........I only wish I couldve had both.....my GF team dream led out by number 35....(ooops...there I go again...).

Perhaps this could be the geatest legacy left by Robert Harvey - St Kilda grows up.

“Yeah….nah””
milney044
Club Player

With a club that's had so little success it's not hard to understand why many of us love and cherish Robert Harvey. Sure it might be over the top but for most of us its all we've got. His career has been a marvel.The fact that he's been so loyal has also generated the love when you look at the way blokes like Plugger who all Saints fans saw play simply adored leave.

It's not always easy to take when your hero and idol leaves and i think that was another thing that made Harvs so special. Yes we're all crazy in love and over the top but it's not like we've had many flags to get carried away with. Of corse we would love to see the success of winning a flag and celebrating it with the 22 boys, we want NOTHING more than that.

I see where you're coming from Plugger in terms of moving on and we will all do that, the hope of Premiership glory makes us all long for the next season, i hope it fills our list of 40 odd players with that same hunger.

Bring on 2009.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Raven
Club Player

For what it's worth, I agree with plugger66.

That's not to say I don't think Harvey is one of if not the greatest Saints players ever. I just think plugger66 raises a good point, come to think of it he does that often, whether people realize it or not.
Last edited by Raven on Tue 23 Sep 2008 5:29pm, edited 2 times in total.

HarveysDeciple

Teflon wrote:I agree with Plugger *ducks*

I love Robert Harvey hes been my hero but as I boraded my train home after the game surrounded by Hawks fans organising tickets to the GF, BBQ's, GF parade trips AND GENERALLY JUST A WEEK OF EXCITEMENT......I couldnt help but think......if only we had the TEAM that could take us to that next step.

I also listen to the talk of great GF sides....the now "in vogue" again 89 battle....and again find us missing something.

I understand why we idolise individuals more than most - even more than Bulldogs etc - and its purely because we simply are the least succesfull club (except for the Gold Coast... :wink: ) in the comp and when you havent had team success but have had some all time greats run round for your club - what else do you have to hang your hat on?....its not that big a jump to see that ingrained into the psych of the club/players.....but it has to stop.

I do believe Lyon is a team man - hes not into individual self flagellation and I hope he proves ruthless to get the ultimate..........I only wish I couldve had both.....my GF team dream led out by number 35....(ooops...there I go again...).

Perhaps this could be the geatest legacy left by Robert Harvey - St Kilda grows up.
Exactly, but to me that's what the tribute was about. A bloke who deserved a flag, and through no fault of his own didn't get there.

St.Kilda has underachieved as a group basically forever, no-one would deny that. But Harvs has not, and the main sadness of his retirement is not out of just hero worship, it's in the reality that we as a side have failed and one bloke who tried to lead the way is now gone.
As you said I hope he leaves a legacy of professionalism and hellbent determination to succeed on the rest of this playing group, it's sad that as a club we tend to rely on this.

But Harvs deserves every bit of praise he has received. St.Kilda's failings are another issue all together.

I expect more from my side, but I love Robert Harvey.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:

Exactly, but to me that's what the tribute was about. A bloke who deserved a flag, and through no fault of his own didn't get there.

St.Kilda has underachieved as a group basically forever, no-one would deny that. But Harvs has not, and the main sadness of his retirement is not out of just hero worship, it's in the reality that we as a side have failed and one bloke who tried to lead the way is now gone.
As you said I hope he leaves a legacy of professionalism and hellbent determination to succeed on the rest of this playing group, it's sad that as a club we tend to rely on this.

But Harvs deserves every bit of praise he has received. St.Kilda's failings are another issue all together.

But that is exactly the reason why we fail. Because we idolise people to much. It doesnt obviously effect the way Hars played because he was a superstar but it IMO has an effect on the team becoming a real team. Harvs deserves praise like maybe no ther Saint but lets makes it the last of this type because I for one want a flag not a indivdual legend.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:

Lets be clear HD - Im not bagging the tribute (woulda ditched the singing but thats just me)

This is bigger than any individual ceremony. This is about shifting the sole focus of our club moving forward to "team" in the wake of a superstar departing our club. No more about dropping star players for not being team-men....time to shape up as a team.

Come this Sat at around 5pm one side will be doing a lap of the MCG the absolute heavyweights of the AFL - players adorned with the ultimate football prize.

I will be in an esky regardless and full once again of envy (and grog).

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:

well said......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

the singing was farking disgusting

and the 'let me entertain you' by the passed-used-by-date kate was even worse...her adding in crapola imbetween lyrics about football players entertaining really was...shut the F*** up fatso noone likes you

its refreshing to see though that some posters are seemingly turning sides and agreeing with plugger and teffers...

hopefully harvey's legacy is that this great football club grows up...both in players and supporters

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
milney044
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:the singing was farking disgusting

and the 'let me entertain you' by the passed-used-by-date kate was even worse...her adding in crapola imbetween lyrics about football players entertaining really was...shut the F*** up fatso noone likes you

its refreshing to see though that some posters are seemingly turning sides and agreeing with plugger and teffers...

hopefully harvey's legacy is that this great football club grows up...both in players and supporters
Oh that was some of the worst singing i have ever heard! As if she could even attempt to pull off a Robbie song, seriously that was embarrassing.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

milney044 wrote:

Oh that was some of the worst singing i have ever heard! As if she could even attempt to pull off a Robbie song, seriously that was embarrassing.
it was more a passing comment...i hope you agree with plugger too...

oh and rb's son... 8-)

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Will you grow up? Fair dinkum. The above comment about Kate Ceberano is pathetic. Very much a reflection on your character.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Harvey couldn't change our pathetic mindset in 21 years of leading by example, what makes anyone think our hopeless mentality of icon worship will change now he is gone.

Roo will be the next to be worshipped like a god.

Really it is the STKFC failed way :cry: :cry:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

He's gone.

Move on.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:He's gone.

Move on.
:D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:

Will you grow up? Fair dinkum. The above comment about Kate Ceberano is pathetic. Very much a reflection on your character.
shut up...you don't know me...you don't know me fool

GrumpyOne

SENsaintsational wrote:

Actually I thought SP was on the money about Kate. At first I thought it was Stuart Dew in drag. :roll:

JeffDunne

Can't believe anyone would fall for the so-called "messiah" complex at St Kilda theory.

How are we any different to any other club?

Frankly I though Harv's send off was tame compared to the crap we heard about Sheedy & Hird.

It's a cop out to suggest this is the reason St Kilda have been unsuccessful. Actually it's more than that. It's simplistic nonsense peddled by Carlton & Collingwood supporters.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Can't believe anyone would fall for the so-called "messiah" complex at St Kilda theory.

How are we any different to any other club?

Frankly I though Harv's send off was tame compared to the crap we heard about Sheedy & Hird.

It's a cop out to suggest this is the reason St Kilda have been unsuccessful.
surely are taking the piddle there...

harvey's was accentuated due to the fact he was the major retiree this season...sheedy and hird due to their media saavy nature were always going to receive a large goodbye motorcade of sorts

the messiah complex is alive and true...

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: plugger66 MO, Insert previous post in here and write a one line nonsensical response

You really should be apologising for lacking the ability to write a post without a quote from a previous poster.

It really is an annoying habit, even more so than your random punctuation and infrequent use of capital letters.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
plugger66 wrote: plugger66 MO, Insert previous post in here and write a one line nonsensical response

You really should be apologising for lacking the ability to write a post without a quote from a previous poster.

It really is an annoying habit, even more so than your random punctuation and infrequent use of capital letters.
oh bitch whinge complain

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

shut up...you don't know me...you don't know me fool
On the contrary, your posts tell alot about you. 'shut the F*** up fatso noone like you" - all class.

Apart from the fact that the question must be asked, how do you know literally no one likes her.

But to call someone a 'fatso' just is really pathetic. I can live with the rest of your post, but you wonder why kids of today have self esteem issues when people think like this.

Richter
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:But that is exactly the reason why we fail. Because we idolise people to much. It doesnt obviously effect the way Hars played because he was a superstar but it IMO has an effect on the team becoming a real team.
Garbage. All great winning teams need great players. Players that then become idolised and worshipped. For every superstar in an underperforming team that you can mention I can put forward another in a winning team.

It's the same in every sport.

Did having Pele hold back the all-conquering Brazil soccer team of the 1950-70s.

Was having Michael Jordan helpful or a hindrance to the Chicago Bulls.

Or Don Bradman with the Australian cricket team......

etc. etc. ad nauseam.......

----------------------------------

IMO it's revisionist claptrap and a logical fallacy. to say that the St Kilda FC idolise individuals over the team. We've been unsuccessful as a team (like a number of others). We've had some spectacular players who have thrilled the fans.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc. NON!

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc)

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Richter
SS Life Member

Raven wrote:I just think plugger66 raises a good point, come to think of it he does that often, whether people realize it or not.
Yes, he does. Still a tool though. Whether he realises it or not.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
plugger66 wrote:But that is exactly the reason why we fail. Because we idolise people to much. It doesnt obviously effect the way Hars played because he was a superstar but it IMO has an effect on the team becoming a real team.
Garbage. All great winning teams need great players. Players that then become idolised and worshipped. For every superstar in an underperforming team that you can mention I can put forward another in a winning team.

It's the same in every sport.

Did having Pele hold back the all-conquering Brazil soccer team of the 1950-70s.

Was having Michael Jordan helpful or a hindrance to the Chicago Bulls.

Or Don Bradman with the Australian cricket team......

etc. etc. ad nauseam.......

----------------------------------

IMO it's revisionist claptrap and a logical fallacy. to say that the St Kilda FC idolise individuals over the team. We've been unsuccessful as a team (like a number of others). We've had some spectacular players who have thrilled the fans.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc. NON!

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc)
but all those teams won things

what did we win?