Coaching Panel Revamp

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

How about getting Jason Cripps back??

I believe he is currently an assistant coach for the Power

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:But you only mentioned coaches so i thought we may be replacing RL. What were the assists in those years.
Regardless of your motives it is an interesting point.

I think the assistant coaching panel of TD, Bundy and Burkie was probably the best going around at the time. Then ego got in the way and things when backwards.

I don't think Rendell will be back, and Burkie has interests on the board, so that's not going to happen. Not sure what Terry is doing, perhaps Archie should give him a buzz.

JeffDunne

How would supporters really know if an assistant is any good?

I agree our forward line needs some work but I'm not sure you can level all the blame at Barker.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:But you only mentioned coaches so i thought we may be replacing RL. What were the assists in those years.
Well I'm not Russell Holmesby and can't remember all of the assistants.

What I do know is that the current panel has no St Kilda people on it and we have coaches whose areas have not performed as well as they should.

We were also accused and displayed evidence of not playing as a team many times this season.

The playing list will and should be reviewed...why not the coaching panel? If the assistants were only signed to two year deals then I think a case can be mounted to look at alternatives for Barker (forward line) and Rock (midfield).

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:How would supporters really know if an assistant is any good?

I agree our forward line needs some work but I'm not sure you can level all the blame at Barker.
The one area the assistant coaches are apparent is in the structure.

Backline - We have guys peeling off their opponents, reading play and intercepting balls. Most importantly we can get at least two saints to any one contest.

Midfield - We have separate plays, organised rotations, defensive matchups and opponent blocking. Players know where their teammates are going to be at stoppages.

Forward - We have Roo and Kosi going for the same ball week in, week out. Milne and Schneider are crumbing effectively, and forward pressure is up. But we just can't seem to work out a structure to isolate our forwards, or even to give them space to lead into.

claystreet
Club Player

If i were cleaning out assistants only SOS would retain his spot. maybe banger coaching mids :D

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

With all of the increased spending, will the match day coaching panel be expanded?

I'd like to see this.

R. Lyon - Senior Coach
G. Hutchinson - Deputy Senior Coach

J. Barker's replacement - Forward Coach
F. Gehrig - Deputy Forward Coach (part time)

A. Rock - Midfield Coach
N. Buckley - Deputy Midfield Coach (full time)

S. Silvagni - Backline Coach
A. Jones - Deputy Backline Coach (part time)

JeffDunne

Otiman wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:How would supporters really know if an assistant is any good?

The one area the assistant coaches are apparent is in the structure.

Backline - We have guys peeling off their opponents, reading play and intercepting balls. Most importantly we can get at least two saints to any one contest.

Midfield - We have separate plays, organised rotations, defensive matchups and opponent blocking. Players know where their teammates are going to be at stoppages.

Forward - We have Roo and Kosi going for the same ball week in, week out. Milne and Schneider are crumbing effectively, and forward pressure is up. But we just can't seem to work out a structure to isolate our forwards, or even to give them space to lead into.
My point was we don't know what role he's playing and how much input he has into the structure. (should I bold that?)

Would frustrate the hell out me trying to get any sort of structure when we often play a man short up forward and move the ball so poorly at times.

IMO the assistants have to be people the coach has confidence in.

rexy
SS Life Member

I stated some weeks ago that I thought it was time to move Barker on. The backline has been very solid under SOS, however that work was started by Jason Cripps, it is also worth noting that with Max Blake Goddard Fisher etc he has some of our most hardest working players playing down back.

I would like to see SOS moved to forward line coach, he was a very capable forward line player and if he can get the work rate and unity out of a front 6 that he has helped develop in the backline it will hold us in good stead.

Aussie Jones has quickly put together a fairly success filled resume and may be worth considering for back line coach, Ben Hart or Nigel Smart would be worth approaching also I think.

Would imagine Rock will stay where he is but we should add a coach, possibly Hutchison to work on the running side of the game, our work at stoppages is o.k.

Maybe this year?
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:My point was we don't know what role he's playing and how much input he has into the structure. (should I bold that?)
I think it's pretty safe to assume that the bloke with the title of Forward Assistant Coach has the main input in the structure.

Of course he will have little say in us keeping numbers behind the ball, but must work out the best way to make the most of the forwards in this case.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:IMO the assistants have to be people the coach has confidence in.
I would also suggest they would have to have the confidence of the players.

The Sainter
Club Player

Why not get me down there as a skills coach? I may be 71 but would concentrate at training teaching Gilbert and Jones how to learn to kick with their right feet. Also would have Dal and Gram singled out how to attack the man much more instead of refusing to bump any opposition player hard. and would stop our forwards always leading towards the boundary where our kicking skills often send it out on the full plus tell them to never kick the ball high to Milne when he has 2 opponents on him :oops:
Would try to explain how to shepherd an opposition player off when your team mate is trying to get the ball instead of standing back hoping you will get an easy handball to build up your possession count. Yeah i know i might be an old fool but there are basic mistakes we keep making all the time.

bergsone
SS Life Member

The Sainter wrote:Why not get me down there as a skills coach? I may be 71 but would concentrate at training teaching Gilbert and Jones how to learn to kick with their right feet. Also would have Dal and Gram singled out how to attack the man much more instead of refusing to bump any opposition player hard. and would stop our forwards always leading towards the boundary where our kicking skills often send it out on the full plus tell them to never kick the ball high to Milne when he has 2 opponents on him :oops:
Would try to explain how to shepherd an opposition player off when your team mate is trying to get the ball instead of standing back hoping you will get an easy handball to build up your possession count. Yeah i know i might be an old fool but there are basic mistakes we keep making all the time.
Agree 100% mate,but you would probaly be told your out of touch with the modern game,maybe I could give you a hand.123 years experience wouldnt hurt would it?

doristhesaint
Club Player

I believe our midfield needs the most work.

they dont block for each other they dont run and carry the ball as soon as their is an inkling of pressure they just bang it on the boot.
THeir foot skills when under pressure or not have gone backwards in the past couple of years which makes it hard for any one to be adventurous forward or behind the ball when it is a big chance to be turned over.

Snakeman66
Club Player

I would like to see Terry Daniher back coaching our forwards.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Snakeman66 wrote:I would like to see Terry Daniher back coaching our forwards.
He has been sacked from 3 places in 4 years so there must be a reason.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:With all of the increased spending, will the match day coaching panel be expanded?

I'd like to see this.

R. Lyon - Senior Coach
G. Hutchinson - Deputy Senior Coach

J. Barker's replacement - Forward Coach
F. Gehrig - Deputy Forward Coach (part time)

A. Rock - Midfield Coach
N. Buckley - Deputy Midfield Coach (full time)

S. Silvagni - Backline Coach
A. Jones - Deputy Backline Coach (part time)
A structure like that would be VERY expensive !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Snakeman66 wrote:I would like to see Terry Daniher back coaching our forwards.
He has been sacked from 3 places in 4 years so there must be a reason.
My thoughts exactly !!

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

WANTED: Assitant Coaches

St Kilda Football Club Ltd is currently seeking apllications to fill the role of Assistant Coach.

This position has been made available due to the current forward coach's inability to pull a rabbit out of his arse due to the loss of a dual Coleman Medalist, a #2 draft pick who has been next to useless, and poor delivery by an inconsistant midfield.

Also, given that the much maligned Senior Coach has coached the team to a Prelim, we at St Kilde intend to uphold our proud tradition of finding a scapegoat.

Whilst football and strategic knowledge is preferred, it is not a requirement.

The successful candidate will however be required to possess some or all of the following attributes, so the club (and more important... it's supporters) can rest assured that you are the best man for the job:

- Must have played for St Kilda (earns you extra bonus points especially if your name is Gherig or Hamill). Frankly, we don't mind if you are clueless when it comes to coaching, as long as you played for us.
Only an ex-Saints would possess the necessary communications skills to relate with players.

- Previous foward coach with St Kilda. If you were previously employed in this position when the dual Coleman medalist and midfield was at it's peak, then please re-apply coz we long for the "good old" days (regardless of how many times you've been sacked)... and we are confident that you perform the old "turn water into wine" miracle so that next year we'll flog tems by 100 points like we used to.

- Great AFL player. We at St Kilde understand that because you were a great player, then you will automatically be a great coach. Ok, we tried that once with Timmy, but he was just misunderstood and ahead of his day.

Who should not apply for this position:

- Robert Walls stooges
- Anyone who wants to force a Swans style gameplan on the team
- Anyone who is unwilling to work closely with the Saintsational Forum.

All applications will be treated in confidence.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Well, my stance on Barker has been well documented, but he will be the first assistant to go. Who replaces him depends on who is available. Jump at Nathan Buckley if he is interested. Played his last few years as a forward, and his ability to read the game of football (as a whole) is second to none.

Rock has been solid, as his name suggests.

Silvagni has done amazing things with our back 6, which have gelled tremendously towards the end of this season.

Greg Hutchinson (former Casey Coach) will be given a role somewhere at the saints, could well be as a deputy to Ross.

Sexton and Elshaugh we have not heard much from, but they really need to be getting a bit more out of our youngsters. I'd love to see Crippa back in development for us.
ahree with buckley, have a look at the analysis on game say last saturday re: how to stop hodge. his suggestion of harvey to patrol the half forward line between 40 and 80 would have made hodge think more about his game and less about pushing out in front of roo. Seems to not only be able to read the play well but create match up options. Ross would love someone like that with the forward line. These days the forward line can be the killer, espcially when working in packed 50's with no space.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith