**** WE NEED BEN COUSINS ****

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Simply no, Cousins is 30+ with baggage and one player never wins you a premiership.

Kerr would be a good pick up, but we simply don't have the bargaining chips to get him.

We need smart recruiting, we did that getting King, Schneider and Dempster, who we missed yesterday.

We need to get Goose fit and find some midfielders plus a mid sized forward who kicks goals.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Cousin's would be lucky to last one year in the AFL, not worth it.

Let's look at youth and not bandaid measures

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Given he wouldn't cost anything but a PSD pick - in other words, a free hit - we'd be silly to overlook him.

We should be courting him hard and doing all we can to squeeze three-four years from his frame. Two of those years could be absolutely elite - better than what any midfielder we currently have is even capable of.

For free? Saving our picks to make a play at Didak or Kerr - whilst ridding ourselves of the deadwood and a raft of solid late and rookie picks?

Where do I sign?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

evertonfc wrote:Given he wouldn't cost anything but a PSD pick - in other words, a free hit - we'd be silly to overlook him.

We should be courting him hard and doing all we can to squeeze three-four years from his frame. Two of those years could be absolutely elite - better than what any midfielder we currently have is even capable of.

For free? Saving our picks to make a play at Didak or Kerr - whilst ridding ourselves of the deadwood and a raft of solid late and rookie picks?

Where do I sign?
Exactly people who are discounting Cousins as a mistake are mad. He would cost us nothing other than salary, and that would be less than Kerr. He has had a break from footy which will lengthen his career, and I think a few are actually forgetting he is an athletic freak. If I had to pick one on-baller who just might have an extended career I would think about Cousins. Who knows he might actually play to 35+.
Either way we HAVE to get one of the WC'ers. Kerr will cost us, but Cousins will come cheap.

Seeya
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Wouldn't it be great if we landed BOTH. To see Kerr, Cousins, Dal Santo, Hayes, Ball, Joey, Gram and BJ running through our midfield would be a treat for all concerned :lol: Pity I have to live in reality :x

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Winmarvellous wrote:Wouldn't it be great if we landed BOTH. To see Kerr, Cousins, Dal Santo, Hayes, Ball, Joey, Gram and BJ running through our midfield would be a treat for all concerned :lol: Pity I have to live in reality :x
Why is it so hard to believe?

Kerr will be up for trade - make no mistake. But he comes at a price (I believe it will be our first two picks)

Cousins will be available for a PSD pick for whoever will take him and offer him what he's after (money won't be the deciding factor, be sure he's got enough of that).

I want the Saints to make it a reality. Cousins we must chase hard and try and seal the deal with early IMO.

As for Kerr, it would be difficult but not impossible. Likewise Didak. I'd like one or the other; you suspect Port will throw the house at Didak, so Kerr is probably more realistic.

Clint Jones and Rob Eddy or Cousins and Kerr?

There's 60 more quality touches right there.

We'd have stood an ****ing chance on Sunday...

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:Given he wouldn't cost anything but a PSD pick - in other words, a free hit - we'd be silly to overlook him.

Where do I sign?
yup. Even if he didn't play midfield, you could use on the FHH or HBF to do a role like McLeod does.

With his fitness, and our fitness gurus, he could go another 2 to 3 years, provided he's mentally up to it.

I reckon get 1 and the other will follow... and I also rekon his friendship with MG is one reason why he's spoken to us.

I'm starting to belive that the only real advantage with the ND is if you finish bottom 8 in most cases.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

im sure i heard today that sportsbet has us as favs to pick up kerr...

i thought...'where the hell did that come from'....
kinda took me by surprise.
i still reckon he will go to the blues, and cousins will go to the pies.
either way, i dont really care if we get one of them or not.

granted kerr would be a good pick up, cousins too for a year or maybe two
(i still reckon this bloke will be able to slot straight in fitness wise and keep up)

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

sunsaint wrote:Either way we HAVE to get one of the WC'ers. Kerr will cost us, but Cousins will come cheap.
Would Kerr and Cousins want to play in the same team?

Hypothetically what if we get the chance to speak to their managers and they emphatically tell us that their player will not sign for St Kilda if the other one signs.

What then?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

then take kerr

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure the boys would of jumped on board if Butterrs was still Pres....

Seriously though,I'd take them both. Cousins will cost f all...he's got 2-3 left,he's a freak of an athlete.

Kerr will be pricey however,not sure we have enough bait to do the deal

Bring back the Lockett era
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

If the Club is more than half serious about doing a deal for Daniel Kerr then they need to get it done - no matter what.

If there is collateral damage, so be it.

Carlton got the deal done with Judd in the end, there is no reason why we can't get it done with Kerr.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

speaking of judd...what did the blues give WC for him?
i cant remember :?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:speaking of judd...what did the blues give WC for him?
pick 2 and kennedy

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:speaking of judd...what did the blues give WC for him?
pick 2 and kennedy
ta ralphy 8-)

well thats blown our chances i reckon, i mean whats the best pick that we will get to offer them?

and then do we want to use it on kerr?....or pick another long term future player?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

kerr has 100 plus games of footy in him left maybe 150.

cousins has played about as many games as gardiner in the last 2 years.

Kerr has been drug tested several times this year, COusins has dodged every public or private drug test.

Kerr is an idiot, but the smell of another grand final might attract him, because he can earn 500k running around doing nothing at WCE, and playing along lenny hayes, luke ball, might be enough to give us some momentum.

Cousins will be bench warming, if he's match fit, if he's clean, no evidence of either.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote: COusins has dodged every public or private drug test.
:!: :?:
if thats true, and he thinks he will get a game with someone then surely he's a twat.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Dan Warna wrote:Cousins has dodged every public or private drug test.
And you know this how........?
Dan Warna wrote:Cousins will be bench warming, if he's match fit, if he's clean, no evidence of either.
:roll: :roll:

And still no evidence that you can separate logic from emotion.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:Cousins has dodged every public or private drug test.
And you know this how........?
Dan Warna wrote:Cousins will be bench warming, if he's match fit, if he's clean, no evidence of either.
:roll: :roll:

And still no evidence that you can separate logic from emotion.
public drug test arranged for him by anthony mundine, dodged, "private drug" test reported at VFL level, he withdraw from playing there as a consequence, enough to suggest he is dodging the issue, as for match fit, he hasn't played in a long while, and when he last played he copped a few hammies.

also given the reported drugs he was said to be on, potential issue for long term nerve damage, let some other team take a risk with him, he offers nothing but risk on a fragile list, kerr adds class, and although he's a moron, if the saints think that Lyons can turn a basket case like cousins around, kerr isn't 1/4 of the twat cousins is.

risk v benifit, cousins IMO is looking for a retirement cheque, kerr could sit around at WCE and put in half assed efforts and earn 500k.

Kerr's motivation and benifit compared to Cousins is miles apart.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Kosi is in his prime now? Seriously?

Here's what I would do: Trade Kosi to a team with high draft picks, get two high picks and get two highly rated youngsters in this draft.

You are right, the draft after this is going to be pretty shabby. Now is the time.

Don't waste it on a Cousins. If we are going to make a bold, big call, this year is the year.

Look to top up and I could just about guarantee it will turn pearshaped and will be down the bottom for a sustained period, not the reverse.

Now off to have a nightmare about today's game.
Name one club that would trade Kosi for 2 high draft picks..

I mean while were out trading Kosi for first rounders, why don't we throw in Fiora and look to trade for Bartel & Ablett :roll:
A team that needs talls would. Carlton & Western Bulldogs would be very keen. High Draft picks would be in the top 20-30 range.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

happy for the club to go get cousins.....

but I think kerr will be too expensive while didak just might up for trade (especially if it allowed the pies to make a play for kerr)

How about something like montagna and first round pick for didak.
pies send 2 first round picks plus something to sweeten the deal.

Didak kicks goals, is clever and if we are strong enough as a club the playing group will make sure he pulls his weight.

Add cousins and didak to this team and we would have pushed the cats.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St Igmata
Club Player

SENsaintsational wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:

Here's what I would do: Trade Kosi to a team with high draft picks, get two high picks and get two highly rated youngsters in this draft.

You are right, the draft after this is going to be pretty shabby. Now is the time.

Don't waste it on a Cousins. If we are going to make a bold, big call, this year is the year.

Look to top up and I could just about guarantee it will turn pearshaped and will be down the bottom for a sustained period, not the reverse.

I mean while were out trading Kosi for first rounders, why don't we throw in Fiora and look to trade for Bartel & Ablett :roll:
A team that needs talls would. Carlton & Western Bulldogs would be very keen. High Draft picks would be in the top 20-30 range.
How many talls do we have?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

St Igmata wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:

How many talls do we have?
We got the wrong ones.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
St Igmata
Club Player

Solar wrote:happy for the club to go get cousins.....

but I think kerr will be too expensive while didak just might up for trade (especially if it allowed the pies to make a play for kerr)

How about something like montagna and first round pick for didak.
pies send 2 first round picks plus something to sweeten the deal.

Didak kicks goals, is clever and if we are strong enough as a club the playing group will make sure he pulls his weight.

Add cousins and didak to this team and we would have pushed the cats.
How would you have had them on the list???
You do realise nothing comes for free?

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Kerr has been drug tested several times this year, COusins has dodged every public or private drug test
How do you how many times Kerr has been tested? I dare say the AFL would have Cousins pass ALL medical boxes before allowing him back on the field. And if you think Kerr is only 1/4 the idiot Cousins is, you don't know Daniel "Special K" Kerr.

Despite this, I'm not a moral guardian, and would have both on our list in a heartbeat, though I doubt they'd like to play together again. Hence, I also don't like our chances of getting Kerr if a certain MG remains on the list.