The AFL Sydney bias finally goes our way

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote: Point is that there are rules to govern it, it is simply put and has been used for over 100 years. I find it strange that you can play by the rules and lose points, while another team cheats and gets 2 points....
St.Byron, as usual missed the point.

Above is the whole point of the incompetence and inconsitancy of the AFL and its dealing with the lovechild Sydney.

One team plays to the rules and is ultimately deprived a top four position and a realistic shot at the flag, while another team cheats, whether intentional or not is another matter, and the victim basically loses a potential top four spot because the team that cheated by having an extra man on the field is not punished.

Instead the AFL attempt to smokescreen by introducing the idiotic interchang rule.

One team plays by the accepted ruls of a game that has gone on for 112 years and is punished for it.

Another is caught out cheating and is not punished.

It has nothing to do with the results, it has everything to do with the influence on the outcome of the competition by the AFL and the tainting and compromising of results to suit the AFL commissions agenda.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: The AFL Sydney bias finally goes our way

joffaboy wrote:
2) Time for Demetriou and Anderson to be sacked for gross incompetence by allowing their direct actions to so gravely disadvantage a football team twice in three years.

/rant

Solar
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Solar wrote: Point is that there are rules to govern it, it is simply put and has been used for over 100 years. I find it strange that you can play by the rules and lose points, while another team cheats and gets 2 points....

Above is the whole point of the incompetence and inconsitancy of the AFL and its dealing with the lovechild Sydney.

One team plays to the rules and is ultimately deprived a top four position and a realistic shot at the flag, while another team cheats, whether intentional or not is another matter, and the victim basically loses a potential top four spot because the team that cheated by having an extra man on the field is not punished.

Instead the AFL attempt to smokescreen by introducing the idiotic interchang rule.

One team plays by the accepted ruls of a game that has gone on for 112 years and is punished for it.

Another is caught out cheating and is not punished.

It has nothing to do with the results, it has everything to do with the influence on the outcome of the competition by the AFL and the tainting and compromising of results to suit the AFL commissions agenda.
what he said

ps my points re: goal umpiring blues is about the "moral" value of overturning a result.... where do you stop?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

[quote="joffaboy"][quote="Solar"]

/quote]

Joffaboy as usual, plays the man and not the ball. You just can't resist can you Joffa?

You said nothing in your post that hasn't been said elsewhere in the thread. I have a different view to you. Your entitled to yours, I'm entitled to mine.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Solar, SP 2008, I've read your most recent posts on this thread and neither of you have said anything new.
Like I said, I think sirengate is a unique and unusual occurrence and as such is worthy of unique and unusual consideration.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Solar, SP 2008, I've read your most recent posts on this thread and neither of you have said anything new.
Like I said, I think sirengate is a unique and unusual occurrence and as such is worthy of unique and unusual consideration.
StByron,
How many times in the last 30 years (not 100) has one team been found to have more than 18 players on the ground?

Under your definition, surely this also qualifies as a 'unique and unusual occurrence and as such is worthy of unique and unusual consideration'.

The problem is that the AFL deliberately chose not to apply 'unique and unusual consideration' to this occurrence and are therefore inconsistant.

Surely if they (the AFL) chose to give the points to Freo on 'moral/ethical' grounds' then they should have acted in a similar fashion in the NM/Sydney fiasco.
To do anything other is blatantly inconsistant.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
st.byron wrote:Solar, SP 2008, I've read your most recent posts on this thread and neither of you have said anything new.
StByron,
How many times in the last 30 years (not 100) has one team been found to have more than 18 players on the ground?

Under your definition, surely this also qualifies as a 'unique and unusual occurrence and as such is worthy of unique and unusual consideration'.

The problem is that the AFL deliberately chose not to apply 'unique and unusual consideration' to this occurrence and are therefore inconsistant.

Surely if they (the AFL) chose to give the points to Freo on 'moral/ethical' grounds' then they should have acted in a similar fashion in the NM/Sydney fiasco.
yeh I can see your logic, but in the case of the Sydney / North game none of the coaches, commentators or players were even aware of the extra man until well after the game. When they did become aware of it they all agreed it was irrelevant to the outcome. Degree of impact on the game = zero. So yes it's unique and unusual, but in this case had no impact on the outcome.
In the case of sirengate, it was a hotly contested issue as it happened and did have an unarguable direct bearing on the outcome. Completely different circumstance IMO.
I don't really believe you and Joffaboy and others are genuinely pissed off about the rules not being applied to the letter of the law in this case when they have been in others. I think it's more about looking for ammo to sh*tbag the AFL and support conspiracy theories against the Saints or for Sydney.
Tell me this, would you be arguing about it if the Saints and Dockers positions were reversed and the Saints had been the beneficiaries of an overturned result? I doubt it. I suspect you'd be making a case that the AFL had to overturn the result because they were negligent in having such a crappy siren.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
StByron,

yeh I can see your logic, but in the case of the Sydney / North game none of the coaches, commentators or players were even aware of the extra man until well after the game. When they did become aware of it they all agreed it was irrelevant to the outcome. Degree of impact on the game = zero. So yes it's unique and unusual, but in this case had no impact on the outcome.
In the case of sirengate, it was a hotly contested issue as it happened and did have an unarguable direct bearing on the outcome. Completely different circumstance IMO.
I don't really believe you and Joffaboy and others are genuinely pissed off about the rules not being applied to the letter of the law in this case when they have been in others. I think it's more about looking for ammo to sh*tbag the AFL and support conspiracy theories against the Saints or for Sydney.
Tell me this, would you be arguing about it if the Saints and Dockers positions were reversed and the Saints had been the beneficiaries of an overturned result? I doubt it. I suspect you'd be making a case that the AFL had to overturn the result because they were negligent in having such a crappy siren.

Ansolutely!
I'm not arguing for the points one way or the other.
I'm arguing for CONSISTANCY!!

As for the result not being affected in the NM/Swans game, I'll say it again. You're kidding.
NM didn't complain because they're under the hammer financially with the AFL.
I suppose over in WA because it didn't involve either WCE or Freo you didn't hear much. Over here where it happened there were days of heated debate about it, with the vast consensus being that Sydney benefitted from the 'mistake'. Media commentators were calling for the 2 points to be taken away from the Swans and given to NM, using the 'sirengate' precedent.
The extra player on the ground was involved in the play that Sydney scored the tieing point.
Sydney tried to 'cover their ass' by coming out later and stating that a different player didn't come off so the 'extra man on' (who was involved in the play) should have been on anyway. Complete and utter bs spin from them.

The incident occurred late in the last quarter and the Swans scored the behind that tied the game during this time.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Mr Magic"]

Ansolutely!
I'm not arguing for the points one way or the other.
I'm arguing for CONSISTANCY!!

As for the result not being affected in the NM/Swans game, I'll say it again. You're kidding.
NM didn't complain because they're under the hammer financially with the AFL.
I suppose over in WA because it didn't involve either WCE or Freo you didn't hear much.
[quote="Mr Magic"]

Correct. All the coverage we had here was grabs of Roos and Laidley both saying they weren't aware of the issue when it happened and when they did become aware of it, they thought it was irrelevant.

[quote="Mr Magic"]
Over here where it happened there were days of heated debate about it, with the vast consensus being that Sydney benefitted from the 'mistake'. Media commentators were calling for the 2 points to be taken away from the Swans and given to NM, using the 'sirengate' precedent.
The extra player on the ground was involved in the play that Sydney scored the tieing point.
Sydney tried to 'cover their ass' by coming out later and stating that a different player didn't come off so the 'extra man on' (who was involved in the play) should have been on anyway. Complete and utter bs spin from them.
The incident occurred late in the last quarter and the Swans scored the behind that tied the game during this time.[quote="Mr Magic"]

I can see your point of view re consistency and agree that if indeed the extra man on the field had an impact on the result, then it would have been consistent for the AFL to take the points off Sydney.
Still think the final outcome of sirengate was the correct one.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Morally/Ethically Freo should have got the points.
but just as equally
Morally/Ethically NM should have got the points.

The fact that the AFL didn't apply the same 'logic' leaves them wide ope for criticism of inconsistancy.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Morally/Ethically Freo should have got the points.
but just as equally
Morally/Ethically NM should have got the points.

The fact that the AFL didn't apply the same 'logic' leaves them wide ope for criticism of inconsistancy.
If what you say about the impact of the extra man is true then yep I agree with you.
Still think these kinds of incidents are separate to issues where the judgement call of an umpire is involved. ie Hand of Aker, Aussie's point etc.
Retrospectively changing the call of an umpire is absolutely not on in IMO. In cases where no subjective judgement is made like an extra man or sirengate, then I think retrospective action is ok.