Chances of finishing 4th

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

If every game was 50/50 (which they aint) then the odds of all 4 coming in would be 16 to 1.

If we take our game as won (lets) then it shrinks to 1 in 8.

Unfortunately aside from crows vs bullies the other two results are longshots.

Think the bookies odds (as always) are pretty spot on - BUT no harm in hoping - stranger things have happened. Fitzroy once came last and won the premiership (in a field of 4 - but similar odds i would have thought).

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

we will either play ADL or SYD first week of the finals the essendon game will determine where we play them

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Hoping, I'll have everything crossed, but a home final at the Dome - which will get if we finish 5th or 6th - isn't to be sniffed at, considering an MCG final against the Kangaroos or WB/Haw comes the week after.

Let's hope we win, the Crows lose, and the rest - if it happens, great, if it doesn't...well, that's expected.

6th is my prediction.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Hoping, I'll have everything crossed, but a home final at the Dome - which will get if we finish 5th or 6th - isn't to be sniffed at, considering an MCG final against the Kangaroos or WB/Haw comes the week after.

Let's hope we win, the Crows lose, and the rest - if it happens, great, if it doesn't...well, that's expected.

6th is my prediction.
had a play with the ladder predictor thingo and the way i look at it best case scinarioto get to the flag we will have to beat the crows , the dogs then we hit the cats to get into the granny then Hawthorn for the big dance

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The way I see it, there are two scenarios.

Adelaide vs Bulldogs could go either way.

Bulldogs win, we finish 6th and get a home final against Sydney.
Adelaide win, we finish 7th and play an away final at Adelaide.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:The way I see it, there are two scenarios.

Adelaide vs Bulldogs could go either way.

Bulldogs win, we finish 6th and get a home final against Sydney.
Adelaide win, we finish 7th and play an away final at Adelaide.
if the crows win by less then 4 points and we win by more the 90 points we can finish above them :wink:

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood
Bulldogs
North
Saints

all certainties.

So, it will be back to the Dome to play the Swans week 1 of the finals.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Collingwood
Bulldogs
North
Saints

all certainties.

So, it will be back to the Dome to play the Swans week 1 of the finals.
Hope you have picked 168 winners so far.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Let's be honest, most likely scenario, we will play either Adelaide or Sydney at Telstra Dome on the Sunday.

Also remember even if Adelaide win, just and we win big, we might still overtake them on percentage.

Of course playing on the Sunday ensures that we will play on the Saturday the following week, question who will we play, assuming we finish 6 or 7th the following week, the loser to Geelong, or the loser between Hawthorn Bulldogs?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Do you want to play Geelong in a Prelim, or a Grand Final? That's probably the biggest question.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Otiman wrote:Do you want to play Geelong in a Prelim, or a Grand Final? That's probably the biggest question.
I'd rather play them in the Grand Final. That means we've made it.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Lets just win this week and then see what the finals throw at us. We can control that much !!

Quixote
SS Life Member

I was curious today and discovered this on the AFL site -

The winner of 6th vs 7th goes on to play the loser of 2nd vs 3rd in Week 2. The winner of this game goes on to play the winner of 1st vs 4th from the first week. In a nutshell, the winner of 6th vs 7th, if it makes it, meets Geelong in the Prelim.

That's what the info on the site said anyway. Pretty sure it was up to date.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
Otiman wrote:Do you want to play Geelong in a Prelim, or a Grand Final? That's probably the biggest question.
I reckon we're a better chance of knocking them off in a prelim when they're thinking they've got it won and their minds are on the next week.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Otiman wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
I reckon we're a better chance of knocking them off in a prelim when they're thinking they've got it won and their minds are on the next week.
Sorry mate I know where your coming from and agree with you and I think we would be a bit more relaxed and perform better playing them in a prelim.

I was just being sarcastic making a point that being in the Grand Final is better than playing off to be in it.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
Otiman wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
Sorry mate I know where your coming from and agree with you and I think we would be a bit more relaxed and perform better playing them in a prelim.

I was just being sarcastic making a point that being in the Grand Final is better than playing off to be in it.
You're also correct. I'd take a grand final loss over a prelim loss any year. But it's not about losing, it's about winning :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
Otiman wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

You're also correct. I'd take a grand final loss over a prelim loss any year. But it's not about losing, it's about winning :D
If I knew that we would definately lose the GF I would take a PF loss anytime. 1997 was the worst feeling of my life much worse than 2005 and a little worse than 2004.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:If I knew that we would definately lose the GF I would take a PF loss anytime. 1997 was the worst feeling of my life much worse than 2005 and a little worse than 2004.
But how did you feel against North in 97, compared to against Port and Sydney?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If I knew that we would definately lose the GF I would take a PF loss anytime. 1997 was the worst feeling of my life much worse than 2005 and a little worse than 2004.
But how did you feel against North in 97, compared to against Port and Sydney?
Great but if I had known we were losing the next week I would have felt shocking all week.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Otiman wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
Otiman wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

Hey there was no mention about losing just playing off and I'll go the other way and say a grand final win is far better than a prelim win. :wink:

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Otiman wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
Otiman wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

If I knew that we would definately lose the GF I would take a PF loss anytime. 1997 was the worst feeling of my life much worse than 2005 and a little worse than 2004.

OK lets face the facts chances are very high no matter who gets into the Grand Final chances are extremely high Geelong are going to take it out.

In saying that what your saying then is your concerned about having a crack because of the let down if losing?

I'll make a note never to go out chasing chicks with you. :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Otiman wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
Otiman wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

OK lets face the facts chances are very high no matter who gets into the Grand Final chances are extremely high Geelong are going to take it out.

In saying that what your saying then is your not interested in having a crack because of the let down?

I'll make a note never to go out chasing chicks with you. :D
I wasnt saying that at all. I was commenting on what Otiman said. I live by the word always have a crack. If you ask 100 times surely there will be one yes. Surely. Please.

saintbart
Club Player

Whatever happens in the other games this coming weekend, at least by the time we play, we will know exactly where we will finish should we win/loose.

I'm sure the players will know this as well before they run out.

sainter104
Club Player

if port beat north and dockers beat pies and crows loose to dogs then guaranteed saints will loose to essendon

SURLEY not

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

HAD we beaten the Eagles we wouldn't have to have to rely on anyone else but ourselves to make the 4. Personally I think the Crows will whip the Dogs this week. They've hit a form slump which while sad for them, might be good for us in the long run.

We've come the long way around before into the finals and made a Prelim. Focus is the aim, confidence is the key! we need to get an SAS commander down there at Moorabbin and give the boys that added oooomph! Focus, confidence and mongrel!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!