FIORA IN THIS WEEK????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I've said it all day until I'm blue in the face.

We need tough players. We need strength. We need extractors around the clearances. We need the Fizz.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Some absolute S*** sprouted on this thread......

Fiora is a 75kg runner, and you want him to play like L.Ball.....the fact is we have too many L.Ball types who win contested footy, but cannot use it or carry it.....

Someone said we only win when Fiora is out.......if you check the facts he has now played nearly 60 odd games with STK and we have won a lot of those......and in recent memory he was the one who sparked us against PORT when most were terrible....big names included...

He is inconsistent, he is a fringe player....but a player who can serve a purpose none the less.......the form of some of our so-called champions is more of a worry....

Fiora vs Rodan......one of the more pivotal contests of the year....who else in the side would have been able to produce a victory in that chase for the loose ball, and carry the footy and then actually use it....

Fact is, if not for his disappointing goal finishing....Fiora would be a walk up start in our 18......

BTW - he is much better than any of us would be....none of us have been nominated for mark of the year 4 times - twice taking courageous grabs

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Some absolute S*** sprouted on this thread......

Fiora is a 75kg runner, and you want him to play like L.Ball.....the fact is we have too many L.Ball types who win contested footy, but cannot use it or carry it.....

Someone said we only win when Fiora is out.......if you check the facts he has now played nearly 60 odd games with STK and we have won a lot of those......and in recent memory he was the one who sparked us against PORT when most were terrible....big names included...

He is inconsistent, he is a fringe player....but a player who can serve a purpose none the less.......the form of some of our so-called champions is more of a worry....

Fiora vs Rodan......one of the more pivotal contests of the year....who else in the side would have been able to produce a victory in that chase for the loose ball, and carry the footy and then actually use it....

Fact is, if not for his disappointing goal finishing....Fiora would be a walk up start in our 18......

BTW - he is much better than any of us would be....none of us have been nominated for mark of the year 4 times - twice taking courageous grabs
I wouldnt think he doesnt get a walk up start because of his kicking for goal. More the fact that he just doesnt get enough of the ball for his type of player. Average footballer and hopefully we will not need to use him next year due to improvement in younger players.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

What's your point I'm fairly sure RL isn't selecting any of us in the 22 ahead of him for this weekend and IMO it takes far more than a couple of fancy marks to keep your spot I'd rather him take 10 ordinary marks a game than 1 mark of the f---en year.

villasaint
Club Player

the post was not meant to be there to bag fiora. It is simply about who we bring in to Milney. As was mentioned earlier do we go for a goal sneak like Stevens or someone with a harder body who has defensive pressure who can sneak a goal like birss. Or does x have the fitness can we bring him in??

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Spot on! We lack pace, and he can provide it. Not saying he's great, but can give more than some of our "kids" at the moment.

Frankly, our midfield is as slow as a wet blanket. Great players... but pace isn't a big factor. We have enough in-and-under players in Lenny, Ball, McQualter and even Bakes.

Gram, and Joey make up for it, but it is an indictment on where we are at that not many are pushing for selection... and that Fizz and CJ get a look in at selection time TBH.... and with the utmost respect.. that 35 is still playing.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
bigred wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Fiora demands immediate selection and will return to the team, the starting 18, this week.

I'd even start him in the guts so he can use his ball winning ability and clearance extraction powers to move us forward.
Not to mention how hard he is at the man.

His physical pressure is beyond reproach.
Just ask that Collingwood tough man, the first gamer, John McCarthy, how tough an opponent Fiora is.

Hell, McCarthy didn't see him coming and went down like a sack of spuds. It was one of the toughest hits of the year.
Hey let's face it, Fiora was the only player cited and suspended the other week!

He IS Mr Tough :lol:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No - Ross won't be selecting us.......but he may select Fiora......so show some respect, he has worn the jumper....

People who question his courage......I would love to see lining up at Casey, or better still not to far away from Jono Brown or Barry Hall.....fact is that half those baggars have NEVER had the courage to pull on a jumper at any level......and have the audacity to call a league player a girl......

I do not think he is a gun, or even a quality player, but I respect the fact that he has played 140 AFL games......very few duds do that...

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

For a guy who is supposed to get the ball, run with it, and then deliver, he doesn't do much of either getting the ball, or delivering it well.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

BigMart wrote:No - Ross won't be selecting us.......but he may select Fiora......so show some respect, he has worn the jumper....

People who question his courage......I would love to see lining up at Casey, or better still not to far away from Jono Brown or Barry Hall.....fact is that half those baggars have NEVER had the courage to pull on a jumper at any level......and have the audacity to call a league player a girl......

I do not think he is a gun, or even a quality player, but I respect the fact that he has played 140 AFL games......very few duds do that...
I respect him as a good VFL and bottom end AFL player yes but all that selecting him in our top 22 shows is the deficiency of our list especially when it's almost a full list to choose from.

So many people on here whinge about our lack of performance, ability etc then get all protective about these struggling bottom end players because they're "wearing the jumper" as you put it .

I wonder how we would rate them if they were playing in other teams? As for the audacity to call a league player a girl I'm comparing him to the AFL level he's in you seem to always compare the ability of these guys with us which is irrelevant.
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Thu 21 Aug 2008 10:43am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam23
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:I hope he gets selected... just to annoy the carp out of you people. :twisted:

Fiora > Birss.

Birss is too slow and cannot provide run and carry. Only reason Birss would get a gig is to replace Ball... which didn't happen last week.
Gee that makes alot of sense... Select a player who will be to the detriment of our team to annoy us haters... Is that sorta like you posting incessently on here for a month on every thread just to annoy...

Are you this forums fiora??
BANG!

:lol:

Goddard.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:No - Ross won't be selecting us.......but he may select Fiora......so show some respect, he has worn the jumper....

I admire your defence of Aaron.

I used to be the same.

But I have watched him carefully and closely. I have come to a different conclusion to you. Unfortunately.

I don't actually believe he's a dud. I think he's wasting his potential because he is mentally soft. Physically his skills are second to not many.

Mentally though, when it's his turn to go, he'll either not go or take a cheap shot at a kid.

But we are all entitled to our opinions.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

This is the biggest load of Horsesh1t i have ever read...

Courage!!... what does courarge have to do with being born with coordination and talent enough to, if worked on, take you to a certain level...

I'm sure there are plenty of local footballers who have far more courage than fiora, who were not blessed with abilities of his type... Damn, i'd even back myself in...

Footballers are born, and the few that arn't, like CJ and Thompson who are just below the skill level, bust their gut to get there are a step above in the courage stakes...

But do not mention the words Fiora and courage in the same sentence.. He should show respect for the jumper, not us to him for wearing it.. :roll:

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Winmar7Fan wrote:

I respect him as a good VFL and bottom end AFL player yes but all that selecting him in our top 22 shows is the deficiency of our list especially when it's almost a full list to choose from.

So many people on here whinge about our lack of performance, ability etc then get all protective about these struggling bottom end players because they're "wearing the jumper" as you put it .

I wonder how we would rate them if they were playing in other teams? As for the audacity to call a league player a girl I'm comparing him to the AFL level he's in you seem to always compare the ability of these guys with us which is irrelevant.
If he were playing at another club? I'd rate him as a non-entity, pretty much as I do for St Kilda. He's a low risk/low reward selection. He's not likely to have a gamebreaking impact either way; he may put up a pretty mark or kick a goal or two, but you don't plan to either exploit or stop him.

If you've got a better player sitting on the sidelines, you don't hesitate. If you're looking for a spot for a kid, his name comes up as the guy to cut.

At the same time, if you've got a weakness in your midfield from a depth player, Fiora's a good option to iron it out. He's got a skillset to support a gameplan... just not to be the centre of it.

He's nothing special, but it really doesn't say much at all when he's selected... except on saintsational. We won't miss him when he's gone, and I can't imagine anyone going out of their way to get him, but it doesn't improve us to get rid of him.

I'd rather see Birss than Fiora, though I honestly suspect that when his career is said and done, Birss will have provided a similar value to the Fizz. I think the role available with Milne out is better filled by Birss or X though, and back at the dome, Charlie may be chopped as well, which is again a role best filled by the above 2.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
markp
Saintsational Legend

He is an enigma... a genuine could-a-been.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Jesus Mart, just because he's worn the jumper doesn't mean he's immune from criticism. Yes he's played 140 games, 60 for St.Kilda. But he's been a consistent under performer and had 8 years to prove that he's worth a spot at senior level. Richmond persisted for quite a while and let him go. We've persisted for a while and now we should let him go. He's farkin' useless when the going gets tough.
And all this crap you're going on with about no-one here "pulling on a jumper at any level" or "lining up at Casey". FFS. Firstly, I'm willing to bet that a majority of the males on here have played the game. That's why they love it. For eg, I played until I was 23 and umpired after that.
Secondly, these guys are professionals. They get paid to do it and choose to be part of a game that is scrutinised intensely. So spare us the chest beating about none of us being tough enough or gutsy enough to do it ourselves. No-one's pretending to be.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:

I admire your defence of Aaron.

I used to be the same.

But I have watched him carefully and closely. I have come to a different conclusion to you. Unfortunately.

I don't actually believe he's a dud. I think he's wasting his potential because he is mentally soft. Physically his skills are second to not many.

Mentally though, when it's his turn to go, he'll either not go or take a cheap shot at a kid.

But we are all entitled to our opinions.
I am similar...but would not quite define it as mentally soft as you have written it.

I think that he is mentally soft in lacking confidence in himself, and then in the dedication to extract everything out of himself (workrate).

When you are playing at the highest level, it also requires a player to lift a cog and really apply himself more.

Fiora has the talent, but his application lacks.

I certainly do not think he is physically soft as he has often taken knocks to the head etc in the seniors.

But he just goes missing in terms of not finding enough ball often enough, and in nailing those goals he should get (but at St Kilda he is no lone ranger there, as it is unfortunately a common flaw with our playing group).
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 21 Aug 2008 4:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Agree. By mentally soft I mean a willingness to apply himself to the contest or a series of contests.

marksnsparks
Club Player

Winmar7Fan wrote: What's your point I'm fairly sure RL isn't selecting any of us in the 22 ahead of him for this weekend and IMO it takes far more than a couple of fancy marks to keep your spot I'd rather him take 10 ordinary marks a game than 1 mark of the f---en year.
Punctuation please. I just collapsed a lung 'cause I didn't know when to take a breath.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

marksnsparks wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote: What's your point I'm fairly sure RL isn't selecting any of us in the 22 ahead of him for this weekend and IMO it takes far more than a couple of fancy marks to keep your spot I'd rather him take 10 ordinary marks a game than 1 mark of the f---en year.
Punctuation please. I just collapsed a lung 'cause I didn't know when to take a breath.
What's your point? I'm fairly sure RL isn't selecting any of us in the 22 ahead of him for this weekend. IMO it takes far more than a couple of fancy marks to keep your spot. I'd rather him take 10 ordinary marks a game than 1 mark of the f---en year................

Sorry Lungs all better now?

If you scout around some of these threads I'm sure you can find a few people to pick up on who also haven't used capital letters and a few spelling mistakes too.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

marksnsparks wrote:
there's nothing you can do Marks n sparks. St. Trav is another one. Their lives are punctuation free zones. The txt msg generation. Their attitude is just like mine when I was early mid-20's, "get over it old man". Itsnogoodtryingtotellthemcoztheyknowbetta

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Courage .....it takes a fair amount to mix it with the big boys....you DO NOT get through League Colts then SANFL seniors premiers at 17yo.....get drafted by expert scouts.....then get chosen by AFL coaches 140 times if you are soft.....and stay in the system for 9 years.....at elite level......these people KNOW more than us....get that into your heads 'keyboard experts'

get some perspective....

Contradictions a plenty here, some are saying he is an 'underperformer' then go onto to say he is less average......can't only good players underperform.....

I respect ANY player that has pulled on the JUMPER.....it is something I will never do.....for someone to do it, they can play (i assure you) and if you do not believe me....then you have either...never played the game or you are an idiot....no one gets to the big league if they are a dud or soft ....and they definitely do not play in 140 senior games....

I would honestly believe that very few people on here have been any good.....and if so maybe they should play a social forum game....because I saw no champions when I played (well maybe a couple that went OK :wink: )

Back to Fizz
A lot of the good things he does, never get any credit....and every bad thing (granted he does plenty) gets hammered....I thinke he is the least of our worries......

I sat next to a moron at Moorabbin....who blamed every goal kicked by WCE on Fiora....even though his opponent kicked one goal, and that was from a lace out pass that Max would not have stopped....maybe his critisism should have went to a lazy ass midfield putting zero pressure on

IMO Ball and Hayes not being able to hit a target is more of a concern....they are top 5 players with big pay cheques......I respect them indeed.......but there performances are more important to stk

Fiora will not be accepted by saints fans because he comes from the tigers where he was a whipping boy because he was selected above PAV.....

He is a better footballer than Jones/Eddy simply because he can actually hurt the opposition when in form

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Agree wholeheartedly BigMart.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Fiora will not be accepted by saints fans because he comes from the tigers where he was a whipping boy because he was selected above PAV.....

He is a better footballer than Jones/Eddy simply because he can actually hurt the opposition when in form
Yeh Mart we get the picture that anyone who's played at elite level needs to have a certain amount of physicality to be in the game. That's the starting point. If you haven't got that you don't even get onto the ground.
So yes, Fiora's physically tougher than me, you or Barks4eva. So what. Just because of that he's a protected species immune from criticism?
Can hurt the opposition when in form???? When was that?

He's poor in one on one contests, losing his footing too easily.
He doesn't get enough of the footy to compensate for his lack of hard ball gets.
He doesn't kick enough goals to earn his keep as a forward flanker.
He can't play in the backline. Period.
His disposal is good but he has to get it first.
He just doesn't really shine in any one area.
Needs to be de-listed IMO. Waste of time keeping him.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
marksnsparks wrote:
there's nothing you can do Marks n sparks. St. Trav is another one. Their lives are punctuation free zones. The txt msg generation. Their attitude is just like mine when I was early mid-20's, "get over it old man". Itsnogoodtryingtotellthemcoztheyknowbetta
It's not a matter of that I'm actually 43 and hate texting and see it as a waste of time. I enjoy being on this forum as I do a lot of peoples views and opinions but also have a busy life and a business to run.

In the context of my life and life generally I see this as trivial (more so the older I get). Most people on here make punctuation or spelling errors but as long as I understand I couldn't care and why would you as long as it's not to the extreme?

But to actually reply to a post telling you that you missed a full stop IMO is a joke but we are all different and I suppose to some people it's very important in their lives.

By the way I agree with your post above this one about Fiora.