Why didnt M.Gardiner play for scorpians

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Capricornia
Club Player

He has a habit of cracking the sads, did it all the time at the Eagles. I bet he cracked the sads when he didnt get to go back to Perth for the weekend with the team.

iceman
Club Player

his last few weeks at Casey his attitude has been exceptional, really been working hard and making an effort with the players. I would doubt that he just didn't front because he cracked the sads. Hopefully just a tad sore, been playing on some heavy grounds with the Scorpions of late.

Capricornia
Club Player

iceman wrote:his last few weeks at Casey his attitude has been exceptional, really been working hard and making an effort with the players. I would doubt that he just didn't front because he cracked the sads. Hopefully just a tad sore, been playing on some heavy grounds with the Scorpions of late.
Thats good. More positive than I would have expected. Maybe he knows his time is near...

Sobraz
SS Life Member

MG may be our wildcard come finals... When he got injured he was hitting his straps big time, and was clearly our best player v's Sydney before he went off...

WC game was bad, and from all reports has struggled since, but he has huge upside and hopefully will find his feet in the next fortnight...

i've got plenty of time for the MG...

To the top
SS Life Member

Agree Sobraz.

M. Gardiner gives us 2 genuine ruckmen, and that is a pre-requisite for finals success.

Before injury he was positioning himself around the ground, getting possesions and palming the ball to perfection.

The game starts with ruckmen competing, and both King and M. Gardiner are required.

That is why Lyon recruited them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Agree Sobraz.

M. Gardiner gives us 2 genuine ruckmen, and that is a pre-requisite for finals success.

Before injury he was positioning himself around the ground, getting possesions and palming the ball to perfection.

The game starts with ruckmen competing, and both King and M. Gardiner are required.

The problem with our 2 ruckman is that cant play anywhere else so we lose flexibilty on the bench. It also means Kosi plays forward all game and I dont think his forward is good enough to play 100% forward. I would keep it as it is.

bergsone
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
To the top wrote:Agree Sobraz.

The problem with our 2 ruckman is that cant play anywhere else so we lose flexibilty on the bench. It also means Kosi plays forward all game and I dont think his forward is good enough to play 100% forward. I would keep it as it is.
Funny how things change,start of year we had Gardiner G train Kosi King and Roo in the side

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The reality with M.Gardiner is that over a 2 year period we only have got a handful of decent games out of him.I don't think the experiment has worked.

I hope Ross has his recruiters looking at other possibilities.It will be interesting what they do with him at seasons end...

At least Rix gets out on the park nearly every week......

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
bergsone
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:The reality with M.Gardiner is that over a 2 year period we only have got a handful of decent games out of him.I don't think the experiment has worked.

I hope Ross has his recruiters looking at other possibilities.It will be interesting what they do with him at seasons end...

Agree,but I suppose the difference is that Rix hasnt been able to perform at the next level,where as MG has before

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:The reality with M.Gardiner is that over a 2 year period we only have got a handful of decent games out of him.I don't think the experiment has worked.

Yeah, and takes up a valuable spot in the 22 :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:At least Rix gets out on the park nearly every week......
I'd rather 10 decent games per year than 22 crap ones.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The problem with our 2 ruckman is that cant play anywhere else so we lose flexibilty on the bench. It also means Kosi plays forward all game and I dont think his forward is good enough to play 100% forward. I would keep it as it is.
Exactly. I don't think King and Gardiner will play in the same side unless Koschitzke is Injured.

To the top
SS Life Member

Koschitzke is not a ruckman.

If our "running" brigade is so poor that we can not afford 2 quality ruckmen in our 22, then we are not going far anyway.

Each of the other sides in contention have 2 ruckmen, so why would we go in with one and try to play Kosi there?

Kosi does not have the body to be effective around the ground in ruck contests bodying for position. He just does not have the body of either King or M. Gardiner and at 197cm, he can not accomodate the lack of body with height.

And when he does get a chance to jump at the contest, in the centre, big bodies get under him and force him to reach over the top to get a hand on the ball hence the opposition know exactly where it is going to go and position accordingly.

It is probably fact that Kosi and Roo have never "exploded" in the same game, because they compete for the same headline and are similar in that they can get around the ground - but that is a mattter for the coaching brigade and the experience of both playing in the same side.

It is a matter of perseverance.

And if you do not have Kosi as a nominal key forward, who do you have to support Roo?

Because you can not rely on Roo alone as your "target" forward in finals.

Hence the nominal positioning of one at CHF and the other at Full-forward.

And we await the Lillee and Thomson epitath of "If one does not get you, the other will!"

Because that day will come.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
bobmurray wrote:At least Rix gets out on the park nearly every week......
I'd rather 10 decent games per year than 22 crap ones.
You won't get 10 games of varying quality out of Gardiner...he needs to be exited out if we are fair dinkum.......

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:Koschitzke is not a ruckman.

If our "running" brigade is so poor that we can not afford 2 quality ruckmen in our 22, then we are not going far anyway.

Each of the other sides in contention have 2 ruckmen, so why would we go in with one and try to play Kosi there?

Kosi does not have the body to be effective around the ground in ruck contests bodying for position. He just does not have the body of either King or M. Gardiner and at 197cm, he can not accomodate the lack of body with height.

And when he does get a chance to jump at the contest, in the centre, big bodies get under him and force him to reach over the top to get a hand on the ball hence the opposition know exactly where it is going to go and position accordingly.

It is probably fact that Kosi and Roo have never "exploded" in the same game, because they compete for the same headline and are similar in that they can get around the ground - but that is a mattter for the coaching brigade and the experience of both playing in the same side.

It is a matter of perseverance.

And if you do not have Kosi as a nominal key forward, who do you have to support Roo?

Because you can not rely on Roo alone as your "target" forward in finals.

Hence the nominal positioning of one at CHF and the other at Full-forward.

And we await the Lillee and Thomson epitath of "If one does not get you, the other will!"

Because that day will come.
very, very, very well put :D

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:If our "running" brigade is so poor that we can not afford 2 quality ruckmen in our 22, then we are not going far anyway.
It's not about Koschitzke, it's about the lack of mobility of both King and Gardiner.

We are lucky Kosi can pinch hit in the ruck, and influence ruck contests (whether or not he wins the hitout), same with Blake. These guys also have other roles in the team. Gardiner and King are both useless unless they are being traditional tap ruckmen.

This is where having someone like McEvoy would be extremely handy. He can play forward sufficiently, but will predominantly be a ruckman, see guys like Ottens and that bloke from Nth. Melb. Speaking of Nth Melb, a guy named McKernan did alright for them for a few years. Even the brisbane combo was somewhat useful down forward in their premiership years.

I'll repeat it.

King and Gardiner are useless unless they are in the role of traditional tap ruckmen. Meaning that we have one player being wasted, 100% of the time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:If our "running" brigade is so poor that we can not afford 2 quality ruckmen in our 22, then we are not going far anyway.
It's not about Koschitzke, it's about the lack of mobility of both King and Gardiner.

We are lucky Kosi can pinch hit in the ruck, and influence ruck contests (whether or not he wins the hitout), same with Blake. These guys also have other roles in the team. Gardiner and King are both useless unless they are being traditional tap ruckmen.

This is where having someone like McEvoy would be extremely handy. He can play forward sufficiently, but will predominantly be a ruckman, see guys like Ottens and that bloke from Nth. Melb. Speaking of Nth Melb, a guy named McKernan did alright for them for a few years. Even the brisbane combo was somewhat useful down forward in their premiership years.

I'll repeat it.

King and Gardiner are useless unless they are in the role of traditional tap ruckmen. Meaning that we have one player being wasted, 100% of the time.
Better put.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

as long as its not White from Melbourne! as he is wanting another 2 yesrs at an AFL club!

spert
Saintsational Legend

If Kozi was a lesser known player, I bet he would not be in the seniors as his form doesn't really justify it. I think the role of resting forward/ ruckman is going to be fight between MG and Kozi, and we cant have both in the team that struggles a bit for pace.