I have joined the club.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
maverick wrote:That is true JB, but what you quote with Bomber is more relevant to GT than RL, because Bomber had some runs (ie finals) on the board, RL does not.
Are you talking about RL as a coach, or as a player? RL was an assistant for the Swans in their finals campaigns.

In any case, Thompson and Clarkson are classic examples of why we should, and will (thank gawd), persist with RL.
Talking about senior coaching nothing else.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:This thread is close to being locked 8-)

Contains far too much intelligent discussion, an unacceptable level of respect for others opinions and not enough abuse. 8-)

Stop it..all of you..STOP IT!!!!
Fair dinkum Mods around here have no clue!! 8-)

I was actually commenting to myself what a pleasure it was having and reading a good debate without any flaming.

I often to that. Talk to myself. Only way to get truly intelligent conversation.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
JeffDunne

joffaboy wrote:If Lyon cant do it, he will go, but a sudden sacking halfway through a contract will be irresponsible and totally wrong.
I'm not sure if I agree with that but it would need to be for a good reason.

However I don't see there's a reason now.

Personally I'd like the club to extend him for another year so him being on the last year of a contract isn't an issue. Sit him down, offer him an extension of a season with an easy out for the club, but give him the option to renegotiate in 12 months if we are going to keep him.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

JeffDunne wrote:I've actually gone the other way Firey, IMO he'll get better if we give him time.

TBH, don't think we've got much choice but to persist.

In hindsight our short term fate was probably determined when we prematurely pulled the trigger on the last coach. I hate to say it but RodgerFox was spot on with his assessment of the impact at the time.

If we make the same mistake again I fear we'll lose more than just a coach. This time I reckon some of our senior players might just say enough is enough.
I'll go one step further...

You lose momentum, and condemn us to at least 3 years of pain.

You lose players.

You lose sponsors.

You Lose YOUR club.

Good or bad, we have to see it out next year. Off field stability is something we have lacked in the past. We now have the opp to build on this long term.

Successful club start from the the admin down.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Cats played finals in 2000
Did they?

Fair enough. Another three years before they did again though.

So does this mean in your opinion anyone who doesn't make the finals in their first year should be sacked? Almost every coach at the Saints would be in trouble in that case :wink:

Lyon won a Preseason in his second season. Bomber didn't win a thing until his seventh.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:This thread is close to being locked 8-)

Contains far too much intelligent discussion, an unacceptable level of respect for others opinions and not enough abuse. 8-)

Stop it..all of you..STOP IT!!!!
Goose...... :P

Back on topic :wink:

I hear everyone and understand the "patience" approach buy my only prob with that is I can't see any positives in his coaching style so I would be waiting for more of the same.
We change coaches and boards like our socks and believe we have made some shocking decisions in that area....not this time.
To be honest my rant maybe influenced by our recent poor form also a tad knee jerk and realise that in reality we are pretty much stuck with Ross but I guess I felt the need to rage against the machine.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
joffaboy wrote: Personally I'd like the club to extend him for another year so him being on the last year of a contract isn't an issue. Sit him down, offer him an extension of a season with an easy out for the club, but give him the option to renegotiate in 12 months if we are going to keep him.
Any contract with Ross should "ULTRA" flexible.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:I have only one comment about that joffaboy in relation to Bomber Thompson. He took his early medicine and drafted youngsters into the club and developed them over those years. Hence why they are now All Australians.

I haven't seen that thought process evident from Lyon thus far.

M Clarke, M Gardiner, C Gardiner, Dempster, Schneider, King.....hardly building us for the future.

If I saw that process happening, I'd cut him some slack. But he went the quick fix option first up thinking we were a show.

Topping up thinking isn't the actions of a man who joined the club thinking the list was in decline. That's the thinking of a man who thought he was only a few steps away from the big one.

He made a miscalculation. And I believe the club did also when they appointed him to 'take us to the next level".

What level is that exactly?
Apples with apples please. Thompson was there since 2000. Over this period, both teams due to low ladder possies selected youth.

As it turns out, they have developed theirs better than us. If you argue that they bit the bullet and went for young kids, then ok. But what did we do in the same time?

Abandoning the youth policy wasn't just Lyon's doing. It began with the previous regime.

Also, taking over a team that has had 3 top 8 finishes as opposed to a team that has had 3 bottom 4 finishes is an entirely different matter.

GT had the luxury of top draft picks and priority picks. RL has not. Given the circumstances, he's made the best of a bad situation IMO. Aprt from the rucks, most players are still young enough. It was either that or gambling on low draft pick leftovers. He did the right thing in drafting McEvoy, didn't he?

The other alternative, was to trade top players for top draft picks...

Maybe, he got sold a dummy in regards to our list?

Our first priority is to ensure that we are able to get our best 22 on the park as much as possible, which has improved greatly.

The problem now is that our best 22 aren't up to expectations.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
JeffDunne

Wayne, slagging GT doesn't make Lyon a better coach.

I wish you and others would come to realise that.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

JeffDunne wrote:Wayne, slagging GT doesn't make Lyon a better coach.

I wish you and others would come to realise that.
I'm not slagging GT. I just pointed out that both coaches have taken over at various times. Where did I state that RL is a better coach?

Different ladder positions, and different options re drafting. So let's compare apples with apples. If we look at it from a comparison of Saints v Cats from 2000 onwards.

These are facts. Kndly tell me where I'm wrong.

Saints43
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:So does this mean in your opinion anyone who doesn't make the finals in their first year should be sacked? Almost every coach at the Saints would be in trouble in that case :wink:

Lyon won a Preseason in his second season. Bomber didn't win a thing until his seventh.
I think that's the problem here. When a coach gets the arse it's usually because the team is languishing at the bottom of the ladder. The incoming coach is not expected to make finals in his first season.

That's was the case for RL - as it wasn't for TW.

We are a special case... unfortunately.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Saints43 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:So does this mean in your opinion anyone who doesn't make the finals in their first year should be sacked? Almost every coach at the Saints would be in trouble in that case :wink:

I think that's the problem here. When a coach gets the arse it's usually because the team is languishing at the bottom of the ladder. The incoming coach is not expected to make finals in his first season.

That's was the case for RL - as it wasn't for TW.

We are a special case... unfortunately.
Shouldn't that be "basket case"? :wink:

maverick
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
maverick wrote:Cats played finals in 2000
Did they?

Fair enough. Another three years before they did again though.

So does this mean in your opinion anyone who doesn't make the finals in their first year should be sacked? Almost every coach at the Saints would be in trouble in that case :wink:

No doesn't mean that but Bomber took over an ageing list and built his own, and as you say rather luckily with F/S.

I am with you, I couldn't care less who is coaching so long as we win games or have a plan to win games in the future.

I feel we are caught in between at present and Lyon for mine is struggling to work out which way to go, we are in for years of pain irrespective if we can't sort our on field direction quickly.

I personally despise our style of footy, but that would change if we won more games, the last 3 weeks have been very ordinary, hence why I see no improvement.

JeffDunne

WayneJudson42 wrote:These are facts. Kndly tell me where I'm wrong.
Abandoning the youth policy wasn't just Lyon's doing. It began with the previous regime.
That is utter nonsense.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:I feel we are caught in between at present and Lyon for mine is struggling to work out which way to go...
I think you've hit the nail on the head there Mav...and who could blame him. Thrown into the job with the expectation of wringing instant success from a list bristling with superstars, but nothing's really happened. As is evident on this forum, no-one is really sure 100% where the problem lies, although everyone seems to have an opinion. Only time will tell...imagine what throwing a new coach into the mix would do right now!

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

JeffDunne wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:These are facts. Kndly tell me where I'm wrong.
That is utter nonsense.
Dude, you've lost me...

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Did anyone else notice some very poor coaching by Ross during the Collingwood game?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Did anyone else notice some very poor coaching by Ross during the Collingwood game?
No, other than the fact that we hadn't replaced Fiora with Birss and put a leading forward in ahead of Geary. However, it's fair to say I hadn't noticed as I was too busy gasping at how piss weak our on-field performance was.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

It'd be nothing short of a miracle for us to beat Freo. If we do, it'll be by the narrowest of margins and a crappy, scrappy match at that :( Refuse to tip us after our efforts with the Eagles and the Pies

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Saints43
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:Did anyone else notice some very poor coaching by Ross during the Collingwood game?
There were so many things wrong with that game...

So many players had down nights that I'm not sure that any coach can get the match ups right. At least RL kept moving them - trying things, I suppose.

Having said that I think RL is more responsible for skill errors than some others do. The number of times midfielders pick up the ball and run - which is what we all want - and there is nothing in front to kick to. They end up "pulling" the kick to get the least worst result. It looks terrible. It looks talentless but they are actually trying not to definitely turn the ball over.

The whole thing doesn't look good. I can understand how some see the great quarters against the Bulldogs, North, Hawthorn as the aberations.

We still need to make sure - as close as you can be sure - that we have the right man before we start worrying about stability.

Mark Williams is pushing the PA board to get into contract talks and talking up a move to Melbourne. It's probably only to get things moving over there but we should be talking to his management now.

gosaints
Club Player

When we win the players are all stars, when we lose the coach has no idea. When are the players going to be held accountable? Why is it always the coach?
I get that the coach should be sending these players out with a fire lit under there arse, but come on these guys are supposed to be the ultimate professionals and they are paid very, very well. We are sending off our greatest ever player and they dish up that crap.

I sat there watching the game last saturday night and I like many couldn't work out why we didn't have another leading forward option but what stood out to me more was most of our players being second to the ball, no second efforts, tackles not sticking, players who are generally good by foot missing targets by miles. That is not coaching issues, that is work ethic issues. Players prepared to wait for someone else to do the hard work. It's been that way for years, even when GT was coach and to be honest i'm sick to death of it.

I don't think Ross Lyon is the problem. I think the problem is in a playing group that is supremely talented by mentally fragile.

userbetheknee

Bring Back GT

Quixote
SS Life Member

Re: I have joined the club.

The Fireman wrote:I have joined the club of Lyon bashers.

Fireman, simple question -

If we make a Preliminary Final this year, will you still be a Lyon Basher?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: I have joined the club.

Quixote wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I have joined the club of Lyon bashers.

Fireman, simple question -

If we make a Preliminary Final this year, will you still be a Lyon Basher?
Simple answer. no,if we did make the finals and progressed then Ross would be a successful coach but we won't so , simply put I am.
Last edited by The Fireman on Fri 15 Aug 2008 2:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Joined that club 2 weeks ago........Too many lesser talents in the senior team is destroying the list and the club.

Its the big separation between our guns......and our bottom tier (within the 22)