29 TO 10 FREE KICKS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The umpiring was no worse than usual. that is to say it was just hopeless inconsistant over officias and the umpires are too precious as well as thinking they are the real entertainers of the game and not the players.

In saying that we were pathetically hopeless and absolutely embarrassing.

Obviously read all the articles on how good they were.

A top 8 place on the line and they play that insipid football and allow a team coming 15th to completely outplay them.

Really dissapointing.

Umpires? Pfft. Have been ruining the game with their inconsistancies for years and even with the way they umpired yesterday we should have won.

really bad.

By the players

By the coach

by the club.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Two things.

a) To suggest conspiracy is laughable.

b) Jeff Gieschen and the umpiring committee will look heavily at the game in analysis. A 3-1 free kick ratio must be thoroughly investigated. Regardless of if the 10 free kicks to us were there, and the 29 to them were there, the overall fairness, as well as free kicks not paid, must be looked at.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Two things.

b) Jeff Gieschen and the umpiring committee will look heavily at the game in analysis. A 3-1 free kick ratio must be thoroughly investigated. Regardless of if the 10 free kicks to us were there, and the 29 to them were there, the overall fairness, as well as free kicks not paid, must be looked at.
it was farken corrupt.

Those maggots I reckon had a few bob on the Eagles.

Well, perhaps not them directly but their mates.

Bunch of Cnuts!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Otiman,
I disagree with your point a)
If you believe that Tony Jones heard what he publicly said he heard in the 'Whispers in the Sky' fiasco, then some form of conspiracy in that case took place. To date I am unaware of Tony Jones being forced to make a public apology or any of the 3 officiating Umpires from that game launching and winning any legal action against Jones or anybody else re those statements.

But I agree wholeheartedly with your point b).
I am sure I have read/heard numerous times that the Umpires Coaching Panel review all games. If they find that we were hard done by I'm sure they will tell the Club (especially if the Club asks for a specific review?). It doesn't change the result of the game though.

That can only be done by the AFL Commission - remember the game ends when the Umpire hears the siren, unless it is Fremantle vs St kilda.
Last edited by Mr Magic on Sun 27 Jul 2008 4:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

BallBanger
Club Player

ha ha
If this was true you would not have umpires adjudicatng their own states games other than vic
Gieschen has no reason why to conspire against saints but really could not give a stuff that numbers went against them.

I remember Brian Taylor said on fox "On 99 goals last game of the yr groin was gone and collingwood had to win by so many points to make finals. Coach wanted me to go off but I wanted to kick 100. Cameron (same umpire that richmond supporters think was the best ever (DavidClokes brother-in-law)) spoke to me as I was taking my place on the field in the last quater. I (Taylor) said I've only 5 mins to kick my 100 then coach going to drag me. Cameron said she'll be right. Ball came down, cameron blew whistle and gave me (Taylor) kick (down field)...I missed...Minutes later same thing happened (Frawley was furious but who cared?) This time I (Taylor) kicked my 100th and everyone (well almost) was happy".

Moral is, we all knew he was a cheating bastard but who cared if it was only StKilda etc...treaded a bit more carefully when had to

Get with it, bias is everywhere in all facits of life....

By the way, I think Jeff Kennett was correct!!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

My problem with the umpiring wasn't how many they go it was how many we didn't...

Time after time after time when we were tackling them they would simply drop the ball and it would be called play on, time after time we would swing them more than 360 degrees and it was called play on, they refused to give us the ball...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
JeffDunne

Jeff Gieschen is on the record saying umpires went into matches with a good idea of which players were ball players and which ones were primarily interested in negating them.

Do we really want umpires that go into games with predetermined views on players?

Now would it be too much of a stretch to suggest that if they go into games with predetermined views on players that they do the same with teams?

Passing off this sort of bias as incompetence simply allows it to occur.

The Umpire's boss FFS is admitting bias against players but still people accept this as the norm.

The AFL treat us like fools because most football fans act the part.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

to those ever suggesting that the umpires can't let their views effect their performances just research what head and the other two umpires were overheard to have said by Jones and the St kilda hierachy.

In any other comp Head and the other two would never have umpired again, let alone against stkilda.

Wasn't the reason we lost but when a team that wins in the final quarter has 3 times the frees either the losing side was TOTALLY outplayed or VERY undiscipline.

Not asking for equal frees but hell...

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Never in a game should there be a difference between two teams of nearly twenty free kicks. That is the equivalent of another player for one side who would be considered B..O.G. if they had 20 kicks in one game.
At one stage, whilst I could bear to watch the telecast, even the oh so biased commentators (Jakovich off, his brother on, at least he might hide his bias) muttered that the Weagles player had clearly dropped the ball in front of the umpire and it was called play-on.
I felt for BJ, it would have been easier to have walked off the ground than take some of the decisions he was penalised for. It was the 'whispers-in-the sky' game against Freo where had a similar pounding by the umps.
Once again I call for a Royal Commission into the umpiring. All any supporter wants is consistency-so how hard can that be? And if they umpires can not keep their personal biases out of the game-the GET OUT OF THE PROFESSION!!!!

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Very Simple Fact:

Had the free kick count been 29-10 our way, WE would have won.

your momma
Club Player

yep P*sed me off all day...

THE UMPS NEED TO PLEASE THE CROWD

:x

"Im never satisfied...its a curse"
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Well we can whinge all we like about the umpires. Fans of ALL clubs have been doing this since they year dot. Lets face it, we are all looking at it through rose coloured glasses.

We should try to get a definitive answer on the performance of the umpires. That can be done by e-mailing Jeff Gieschen at jeffg@afl.com.au and asking if he would kindly inform you of the "Missed & Unwarranted" Free kicks for our game. That way you at least have some evidence to back your arguments up (if he answers) !!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Well we can whinge all we like about the umpires. Fans of ALL clubs have been doing this since they year dot. Lets face it, we are all looking at it through rose coloured glasses.

We should try to get a definitive answer on the performance of the umpires. That can be done by e-mailing Jeff Gieschen at jeffg@afl.com.au and asking if he would kindly inform you of the "Missed & Unwarranted" Free kicks for our game. That way you at least have some evidence to back your arguments up (if he answers) !!
good point

I'm curious about where we sit on the umpire ladder (since we were off the radar when GT was coach).

Yeah we do look at it through rose coloured glasses and guess what, this is OUR forum and hell if 1-2 threads a week is umpires is it that big a deal.

Thats what I find so funny, the people who don't relise that most of us just need a thread to fume about something we can't control UMPIRES.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
stinger
Saintsational Legend

there are really only four possible explanations for the umpires performance on saturday.......

1...the umpires were incompetent

2....the umpires were corrupt....

3...the umpires were unduly influenced by the pro west coast crowd...

4....the umpires had a bundle on the eagles at 7 to 1...

..take your pick...what i can say without a shadow of a doubt is that it wasn't

a great performance by the men in whatever colours they were wearing....disgraceful performance isn't too great of an exaggeration......29 frees to 10......4 goals from iffy free kicks...says it all really...... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by stinger on Tue 29 Jul 2008 6:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
LennyBoy
Club Player

At the same time although I agree the free kick count may have looked one sided who was first in at the ball after quarter time. Our players were found wanting in this area when the game was on the line, and hopefully this week we redeem ourselves for that pathetic output.

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:My problem with the umpiring wasn't how many they go it was how many we didn't...

Time after time after time when we were tackling them they would simply drop the ball and it would be called play on, time after time we would swing them more than 360 degrees and it was called play on, they refused to give us the ball...
Hit.nail.head

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bozza1980
Club Player

The umpires weren't to blame for our clangers and loose checking that in the end, cost us the game.

That said though, it was a pretty ordinary effort by the men in yellow, I am horrifically biased, but, there was a stage that I thought they had fogotten that they could pay us a free kick too.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Inconsistant and bewildering home-ground umpiring aside, it was the most disappointing effort from our team I have seen this year, even worse considering we had the final four in sight.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:My problem with the umpiring wasn't how many they go it was how many we didn't...

What he said

Would be one of worst dispays of umpiring I have ever seen

29/10..... Go figure :shock:

Stand your ground :shock:
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

That crap of first to the ball is a thing of the past the new holding the ball rule put an end to that. Twenty frees differance is a glaring example of bias and is indefendable. Look at the tackle count 54-52 so both sides laid even fair tackles so no discrepancy there to why the frees are lopsided. In a game were the umpires saw fit to award 29 frees to one team which is a very high amount shows they were whistle friendly so why did they only see 10 our way? Its bad and it cost not only games but top four spots. : :evil:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintDippa
Club Player

Not sure if this has been mentioned {too tired to read !!!), why did the umps wear yellow tops with navy shorts when WCE wore yellow/white/navy jumpers with navy shorts?

To make it appear that an Eagle was filling a hole?

saintly_safes
Club Player

Once the crowd started to get involved they really started to lift & the louder the crowd got the more frees they received (apparently 14 to 2 in the last quater). Happens alot at Subi , thats why we should have put them away while we had the chance in the first half to take the crowd factor out of the game

yipper
SS Life Member

How a football team - let alone an AFL one - can only recieve 10 frees in a game where statistically all the measurements were pretty even is just amazing. No probs if one team gets 29 / 30 frees - but the other team is surely being infringed against just as regularly?? Again, the opposition get 4 - 5 soft frees that result directly in goals in a game where the margin is only 17pts is a decisive difference.

Conspiracies?? after the whispers in the sky shame - anything is possible. No-one can categorically dismiss this idea after that incident. As Mr Magic said - noone has sued Tony Jones, nor demanded his apology. They just ignored his claim - and with the help of a subserviant media, swept it away. Why would Tony Jones offer that information if it didn't happen?? 29 - 10 free kick count is just not acceptable in a game of footy between 2 teams pretty even in all the measurements i.e: contested ball etc. The Eagles only infringed 10 times against StKilda in a whole game???

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:How a football team - let alone an AFL one - can only recieve 10 frees in a game where statistically all the measurements were pretty even is just amazing. No probs if one team gets 29 / 30 frees - but the other team is surely being infringed against just as regularly?? Again, the opposition get 4 - 5 soft frees that result directly in goals in a game where the margin is only 17pts is a decisive difference.

Conspiracies?? after the whispers in the sky shame - anything is possible. No-one can categorically dismiss this idea after that incident. As Mr Magic said - noone has sued Tony Jones, nor demanded his apology. They just ignored his claim - and with the help of a subserviant media, swept it away. Why would Tony Jones offer that information if it didn't happen?? 29 - 10 free kick count is just not acceptable in a game of footy between 2 teams pretty even in all the measurements i.e: contested ball etc. The Eagles only infringed 10 times against StKilda in a whole game???

i agree with you......but according to some clowns on here...that makes us losers...ffs...... :roll: :roll:

some of you should open your eyes when you watch a replay of the match......and have a good look at the umpires faces when they are awarding frees against the saints.......the "gotcha " expressions are sick making ......- :evil: :evil: :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
yipper wrote:How a football team - let alone an AFL one - can only recieve 10 frees in a game where statistically all the measurements were pretty even is just amazing. No probs if one team gets 29 / 30 frees - but the other team is surely being infringed against just as regularly?? Again, the opposition get 4 - 5 soft frees that result directly in goals in a game where the margin is only 17pts is a decisive difference.

i agree with you......but according to some clowns on here...that makes us losers...ffs...... :roll: :roll:

some of you should open your eyes when you watch a replay of the match......and have a good look at the umpires faces when they are awarding frees against the saints.......the "gotcha " expressions are sick making ......- :evil: :evil: :evil:
Senility comes with age. Yes they wanted us to lose because they had money on us even though the bookies have said it was a great result for them.