Roo's last Qtr Free Kick and 50m

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
bergsone wrote:Head contact auto free kick,regardless of who is at fault seems the interputation,stupid in my opinion,our game isnt black and white,lot of grey areas inbetween requiring common sense umpiring.

Sorry for using umpiring and common sense in the same sentence
disagree with your statement.

IMHO umpire made a mistake.

Agree with Yipper and Mr. Magic views...

Also can remember in a previous game an umpire not paying the free kick in a similar situaution.......his response (heard on TV mic) the player diving in caused the contact.
reply from Gieschen
supported umpire in previous game.

saint4life
Lennon
Club Player

mick13 wrote:It was high contact, it's a free kick. Not much Roo could have done, and had every reason to ask the ump, probly shouldnt have screamed at him though...

Weak as piss, but thats the way the games going eh?
Surely not if the high contact is initiated by the player who is then paid a free?

If that were the case, there would be nothing stopping players diving headfirst into other players in order to get a free kick.

It was a mistake, should not have been paid.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I think sometimes the umpires know the decision was so woefully bad that they pre-empt getting abused for it.

Sometimes they seem to have called '50m' before the player even has a chance to berrate them.

bergsone
SS Life Member

good reply from the umps
Thanks Mr Magic

yipper
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:I think sometimes the umpires know the decision was so woefully bad that they pre-empt getting abused for it.

Sometimes they seem to have called '50m' before the player even has a chance to berrate them.
Yep, happens consistently. To damn comsistently. They are ready for the dissent and literally pay 50 before a word gets out of the player's mouth!! We used to go crook at the umps years ago - but sheesh, give us back some decent umpires like Glen James, Peter Carey, Peter Cameron and the like - even Goldspink had a thicker skin than some of his present day mates. They made blews back then - plenty, but at least they understood football and how it is played.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:I think sometimes the umpires know the decision was so woefully bad that they pre-empt getting abused for it.

Yep, happens consistently. To damn comsistently. They are ready for the dissent and literally pay 50 before a word gets out of the player's mouth!! We used to go crook at the umps years ago - but sheesh, give us back some decent umpires like Glen James, Peter Carey, Peter Cameron and the like - even Goldspink had a thicker skin than some of his present day mates. They made blews back then - plenty, but at least they understood football and how it is played.
Do you know the story about Glen James, Rod Ashman and Helen D'Amico? This, being a family forum prevents me from posting same :roll: :oops: :roll: :roll: :wink: !!

yipper
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:
yipper wrote:

Do you know the story about Glen James, Rod Ashman and Helen D'Amico? This, being a family forum prevents me from posting same :roll: :oops: :roll: :roll: :wink: !!
PM me - am fascinated. Played cricket with Glen James, so would like to know all his vices!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
ace
Saintsational Legend

I take it that to qualify to be called an ELITE LEVEL UMPIRE you have to get paid more than a COMPETENT UMPIRE.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

I think the umpires pay 50 metre penalties because the player has failed to stand to attention, say YES SIR and salute.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA