Fans sue AFL over Sirengate

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

esaint66
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:i guess it comes down to the result of the game.

did fremantle win or was it a draw?

the league said to pay out on a draw, then said fremantle won.

which one is it?

these guys backed fremantle. the record books show that fremantle won the game.

how can they not get the money?

the league shouldn't be able to get away with saying both results were correct because they stripped us of premiership points.

Well they gave freo the game so like you said they will have to pay the blokes. They can't just change the game back to a draw to sut the TAB, then they would have to replay the whole season from the sirengate incident and i can't handle more september pain :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Like a said its the same as horse racing. You may pay on one horse and it then gets disquailfied and the second horse will be shown as the winner in the record books but the punter doesnt get his money.
that's a different scenario plugger.

st kilda wasn't disqualified.
Its still the same thing though as the result was changed after the payout.
will be an interesting case. i know which way i'd see it.

these guys backed fremantle. fremantle won, according to the league.

pretty simple. pay them the money.
Then why dont punters get their money in the same sort of situation.

i think a key point here is that these punters are suing the afl, not the tab.

quite rightly, the money will have to come from the afl coffers.

all the tab did was pay out after the afl signalled "correct weight" when the right decision by the league would have been to suspend betting pending an imminent protest.

the league is morally in the wrong here and will be seen to be in the wrong when it all comes out in the papers.

if they have any sense they will settle out of court before the whole embarrassing fiasco is played out again in public.

a complete shambles, which made a mockery of the afl's rules and processes. inspector cluso stuff. real amateur hour.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

In all fairness, Dimwit should pay the punters out of his own pocket...

bozza1980
Club Player

Not being a legal eagle, I think the AFL would have had nothing to worry about had they not changed the result 3 days later.

Had the draw result stood, they could have hid behind the laws of the game till the cows came home. The laws are drafted deliberately, the game is not over until the umpire hears the siren. So regardless of the fact the siren had gone, the game wasn't over.

However, changing the result has left them open in my opinion.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:Not being a legal eagle, I think the AFL would have had nothing to worry about had they not changed the result 3 days later.

Had the draw result stood, they could have hid behind the laws of the game till the cows came home. The laws are drafted deliberately, the game is not over until the umpire hears the siren. So regardless of the fact the siren had gone, the game wasn't over.

had the draw stood, these guys would have torn up their ticket as they backed fremantle.

bozza1980
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:Not being a legal eagle, I think the AFL would have had nothing to worry about had they not changed the result 3 days later.

had the draw stood, these guys would have torn up their ticket as they backed fremantle.
Exactly, and the AFL could have hidden behind the laws of the game had anyone tried to sue because a perceived incorrect result.

However, the AFL after notifying the betting agencies of a final result, a draw, then went and changed it after ignoring their own laws of the game.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Exactly, and the AFL could have hidden behind the laws of the game had anyone tried to sue because a perceived incorrect result.

However, the AFL after notifying the betting agencies of a final result, a draw, then went and changed it after ignoring their own laws of the game.
i'm glad that someone is holding them to account.