GT Lovers show they love GT more than they love the club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Furthermore he got paid way over the odds for a second and third year coach, cobbled together by his mate at the time RB.
So, by logical extension, is it not fair to deduct that any anger about this legally binding contract should be directed to the man who offered it?
Who stated that?

What part of it didn't you get when I was talking about the Butters/Thomas fiefdom and the stinking putrid mess they lorded it over?

This thread is about KT's anger at Grant Thomas and his milking of the STKFC.

I know you have a pathillogical hatred of Rod Butters. Didn't he knock you back for a job once at the club?

If you want to talk about Butterss start a thread and peddle you agenda there.
I made valid point, you chose to blow it up.

And no, RB has never knocked me back at the club.

Take a chill pill - you are the king of hysteria.

I've got no agenda other than the success of this football club. I don't actually know what yours is, other than to pick fights at every turn - which you have been exposed at doing time and again.
Meanwhile please stay OT and stop trying to jack a thread with your agenda driven hatred of Butterss
Eh, this thread is about someone saying that GT lovers love him more than the club, and saying that we should really, in fact, hate him.

Now a lot of that hatred seems to be stemming from the deal he was offered by the club. All I'm putting out there is - why is that GT's fault that he was offered these terms by RB? A good, solid question. You desperately then try to make it into a slanging match.

Get a grip. You will do anything to seek a fight and get personal.

It's tiresome.
Last edited by evertonfc on Sat 05 Jul 2008 8:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

jackal
Club Player

I'm a little confused with this post.

To put it sussictly from where I sit

1) Any remuneration that the club paid Thomas to work for the Saints was their responsibility and Thomas (like all of us) is entitled to get the best deal for themselves.

2)IF (And i say if) the club asked Thomas to forgo any leave entitlements that were owed as part of his remuneration package then they have acted inappropraiely and possibly illegally and it appears (based on the ruling by the court) that this has been supported.

3) PErsonally I would rather see my membership contributions (and other expenditure) go towards recruitment, development and retention of personnel (coaches, players etc). None the less, the previous Board were forced into stepping aside due to the way it handled an employee (Thomas) more than any other issue.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:[

I've got no agenda other than the success of this football club. I don't actually know what yours is, other than to pick fights at every turn - which you have been exposed at doing time and again.

It's tiresome.

you have him neatly summed up.....in future i think i will make it my policy to ignore all the arsewipes on here...not just a selected few..... :lol: :lol: :wink:
Last edited by stinger on Sat 05 Jul 2008 11:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
evertonfc wrote:[

It's tiresome.

you have him neatly summed up.....inn future i think i will make it my policy to ignore all the arsewipes on here...not just a selected few..... :lol: :lol: :wink:
lol - just like you ignored my on the Lawyers are scum thread :roll: :roll:

You are a pathetic joke (just like your profession).

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
You seem to want to make Butterss take the blame for everything, but want Thomas to be let off scot free.

Really it is pretty transparent.
evertonfc wrote:Eh, this thread is about someone saying that GT lovers love him more than the club, and saying that we should really, in fact, hate him.
No. It is about the amazement of the supporters who seem to rejoice in the club losing 200k. I think that if the court said he is owed it, well so be it.

Still does not detract from the fact this thread was about the reaction and "barracking" for GT nothing to do with Rod Butterss
evertonfc wrote:Now a lot of that hatred seems to be stemming from the deal he was offered by the club. All I'm putting out there is - why is that GT's fault that he was offered these terms by RB? A good, solid question.
Hatred - lol - what extreme words you use :D. Al you are putting out there is something that is irrelevant to the OT, in my opinion of course, or is that not allowed? You hankering to become mod again??? :wink:
evertonfc wrote:You desperately then try to make it into a slanging match.
desperately??? My have have a way with hyperbole :)
evertonfc wrote:Get a grip. You will do anything to seek a fight and get personal.

It's tiresome.
Is that an order master of the hyperbole???

Get a grip yourself and get over your pathalogical hatered of Rod Butterss, that is the tiresome dreary line of your posting and it has been for years.

heres a tip. Rod Butterss put thousands into the club and is not suing it for hundreds of thousands of dollars, like the bloke you and the other usual suspects try to protect by attempting to paint Butterss as the complete villian and GT was the innocent victim.

I have no time for Butterss, he put in a sham process that gave Thomas the job in the first place, vastly overstated his salary as quoted by B4E, then sacked him and left a financiial mess for the next admin to clear up when Mr Bleeds red black and white sued the club and took your and my money.

However it takes two to tango. Some here like to think it was a one man shuffle.

Well the only innocent victim of these two spivs are the supporters of the STKFC.

And to think that some supporters think it is a good thing that one of the spivs is still milking the club and somehow barracking for a sacked coach, and individual with no connection to the club, is a disgrace.

What ever happened to the team is bigger than the individual? What ever happened to supporting the club?

FWIW I dont really care. I have stated time and time again that if Thomas was legally entitled to the money, just like spider Everitt was entitled to $80k after he had quit and bad mouthed the club, well so be it. But I'll be buggered if I approve of anybody stiffing the club I support, all the while pretending to be a St.Kilda man.

Seems as though others are more easily fooled. Shame on them.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Yawn...

What a fricken redundant debate :roll:

It's all a bit primary school.

Maybe I'm not a real Saints supporter because I was pissed off when Graeme Gellie was sacked!

St.Kenny
Club Player

Oh come on Tossaboy. You're the nobody who has done nothing for this club. I bet you get the CES to buy yur membership you useless 'toe rag'. To say that GT has milked this club entails he has done nothing to earn his renumeration. For years he was first to arrive and last to leave at night. Just ask an impartial judge you waste of fresh air. Why dont you get a job like the rest of us and quite pretending to be doing a CES computer course when you're actually wasting everybodies time on SS you pathetic drone of repetition.!!!!!!!

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
Rixroxruck

Tossaboy ,.....I love it ! :lol:

Who am I ? I'm not a tram conductor !
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St.Kenny wrote:Oh come on Tossaboy. You're the nobody who has done nothing for this club. I bet you get the CES to buy yur membership you useless 'toe rag'. To say that GT has milked this club entails he has done nothing to earn his renumeration. For years he was first to arrive and last to leave at night. Just ask an impartial judge you waste of fresh air. Why dont you get a job like the rest of us and quite pretending to be doing a CES computer course when you're actually wasting everybodies time on SS you pathetic drone of repetition.!!!!!!!
Drink up Kunny...your drying out.... :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

St.Kenny wrote:Oh come on Tossaboy. You're the nobody who has done nothing for this club. I bet you get the CES to buy yur membership you useless 'toe rag'. To say that GT has milked this club entails he has done nothing to earn his renumeration. For years he was first to arrive and last to leave at night. Just ask an impartial judge you waste of fresh air. Why dont you get a job like the rest of us and quite pretending to be doing a CES computer course when you're actually wasting everybodies time on SS you pathetic drone of repetition.!!!!!!!

:wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...post of the week.....

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

What constitutes a GT lover anyway?

Nothing of what I have seen of the man's public persona would ever suggest to me that I would want to spend as much as 20 seconds in his direct proximity. He is clearly an egotistical wanker, and stubborn to boot.

However, that said, Thomas showed clearly in the 2001-06 period that he was worth being paid good money as a coach. Taking a team from the bottom to the top - draft picks or not - is far easier said than done. Sure, both Eade and Clarkson have managed something similar in recent years, but others have failed miserably. It is just sillly to judge GT as a failure because he didn't take us to a flag in the two seasons in which we were a reasonable chance to bag one (ie, 2004 and 2005: surely nobody seriously believes we could have won in 2006 without Lenny, Hamill, Goose and most likely X and Gehrig). While I quite enjoy some of JB's posts, the way he harps endlessly on this point really just shows that - despite his constant denials - he really is one of the founding members of the PHFGTC (Pathological Hatred For Grant Thomas Club).

The best that could be said about the decision to sack GT in 2006 was that it was based on false premises: I have never been sure what the true reasons were, and I suspect that all reasons given on this forum and elsewhere are ultimately speculation.

At any rate, there could have been no valid reason for sacking him on performance grounds. Those on here who constantly harp on about this are deluded. I have challenged them time and again to produce another example in which a coach was sacked after having achieved anything like what GT managed to do in his 5 and a bit seasons at the helm. No poster has ever responded to this challenge: the reason being that something like it has never previously happened at any AFL club (or, for that matter, VFL club) and most likely will never happen again.

Leaving aside the legal niceties (which seemed to have favoured GT's side of the argument anyway), GT's sacking was - in a moral sense - a classic case of unfair dismissal. He was given no grounds for his sacking because there were no defensible grounds. Public explanations given by Butterss and others didn't make any sense because the decision to sack GT didn't make any sense. I know that the favourite argument of the PHFGTC is that GT should have been sacked because he supposedly "ruined our list". Neither RB nor anyone else argued that at the time. Rather, they all talked about our list being first rate and that the main change needed was at the coaching level was to "take us to the next level". (It is only lately that we have begun to hear the likes of Lyon, Walls and Fraser criticising the list that Lyon inherited, to which all I can say is "excuses, excuses".)

Because the decision to sack GT didn't make any sense on performance grounds, but nonetheless massively damaged his professional standing and his coaching career, he did what any of us would do in that situation: he went for legal redress. As a result, he sucked a certain amount of money out of the club over and above his contractual entitlements both in September 2006 and subsequently: most recently through the court case.

What was he supposed to do? What would you do? The guy had every reason to expect to look forward to a long and well-remunerated career as an AFL coach. There are other coaches still coaching who can't point to GT's achievements: take Terry Wallace as an obvious example. The amount he has taken out of the club so far wouldn't even represent one-tenth of what he might have received over the next decade or so if he hadn't been unfairly sacked.

It makes little difference to me whether or not GT won or lost. But I can't see why anyone could possibly think that he wasn't justified in trying to get as much money out of the club as he possibly could. If any of you wouldn't have looked to do something similar after being unfairly deprived of your careers, you must either have inherited a great deal of wealth or must need money a lot less than the average person.

From a football point of view, none of this would have mattered if Lyon had been able to pick up the ball from GT and maintained the level of performance achieved by the team in 2004-06. This hasn't happened, largely because Lyon - egged on by the previous Board, the know-nothing Fraser and others - has ignored the fundamental maxim of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". He has tried to totally reinvent and replace a game plan that had enabled us to make the top 4 three seasons in a row (if you disregard the laughable sirengate decision).

All of the above events are why we will constantly argue on this forum about GT and his legacy unless and until the team turns around its consistently piss poor performance under Lyon. The last two weeks have given us some signs of hope at last. A few more weeks like that will enable us to make the finals and perhaps bury the ghost of GT at last.

From my point of view its not about loving or hating GT. However, the PHFGTC undoubteldy do hate GT (or, to be more precise, not the real GT but some imaginary version of the man). It's strange stuff really, but it does bring a frisson of excitement to this forum which - in a perverse way - I rather enjoy. So carry on B4E, Teffers, JB, KT, St Kenny, Stinger, JD, RF et all. You all help to brighten up many a dull day in my life!! :wink: :wink:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Solar
Saintsational Legend

this happened with an earlier board who was voted out....

they should have paid Thomas what he was due, they didn't.

Legally the club needs to fix up this blunder.

This is not a good situation for the club at present but the board who offered the contract and didn't pay these payments are gone. The coach who should have got these payments are gone.

The only one left is Archie Fraser and the question mark on whether he needs to take responsibility is the decision for the current board. I don't think we have enough information but my guess is archie might not be CEO next year.

Hopefully this is a chance for us to draw a line in the sand, they did some great and terrible things in the past. But the RB/GT/BW trio are gone.

Lets get it all out of our system and move on.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:What constitutes a GT lover anyway?

Nothing of what I have seen of the man's public persona would ever suggest to me that I would want to spend as much as 20 seconds in his direct proximity. He is clearly an egotistical wanker, and stubborn to boot.

However, that said, Thomas showed clearly in the 2001-06 period that he was worth being paid good money as a coach. Taking a team from the bottom to the top - draft picks or not - is far easier said than done. Sure, both Eade and Clarkson have managed something similar in recent years, but others have failed miserably. It is just sillly to judge GT as a failure because he didn't take us to a flag in the two seasons in which we were a reasonable chance to bag one (ie, 2004 and 2005: surely nobody seriously believes we could have won in 2006 without Lenny, Hamill, Goose and most likely X and Gehrig). While I quite enjoy some of JB's posts, the way he harps endlessly on this point really just shows that - despite his constant denials - he really is one of the founding members of the PHFGTC (Pathological Hatred For Grant Thomas Club).

The best that could be said about the decision to sack GT in 2006 was that it was based on false premises: I have never been sure what the true reasons were, and I suspect that all reasons given on this forum and elsewhere are ultimately speculation.

At any rate, there could have been no valid reason for sacking him on performance grounds. Those on here who constantly harp on about this are deluded. I have challenged them time and again to produce another example in which a coach was sacked after having achieved anything like what GT managed to do in his 5 and a bit seasons at the helm. No poster has ever responded to this challenge: the reason being that something like it has never previously happened at any AFL club (or, for that matter, VFL club) and most likely will never happen again.

Leaving aside the legal niceties (which seemed to have favoured GT's side of the argument anyway), GT's sacking was - in a moral sense - a classic case of unfair dismissal. He was given no grounds for his sacking because there were no defensible grounds. Public explanations given by Butterss and others didn't make any sense because the decision to sack GT didn't make any sense. I know that the favourite argument of the PHFGTC is that GT should have been sacked because he supposedly "ruined our list". Neither RB nor anyone else argued that at the time. Rather, they all talked about our list being first rate and that the main change needed was at the coaching level was to "take us to the next level". (It is only lately that we have begun to hear the likes of Lyon, Walls and Fraser criticising the list that Lyon inherited, to which all I can say is "excuses, excuses".)

Because the decision to sack GT didn't make any sense on performance grounds, but nonetheless massively damaged his professional standing and his coaching career, he did what any of us would do in that situation: he went for legal redress. As a result, he sucked a certain amount of money out of the club over and above his contractual entitlements both in September 2006 and subsequently: most recently through the court case.

What was he supposed to do? What would you do? The guy had every reason to expect to look forward to a long and well-remunerated career as an AFL coach. There are other coaches still coaching who can't point to GT's achievements: take Terry Wallace as an obvious example. The amount he has taken out of the club so far wouldn't even represent one-tenth of what he might have received over the next decade or so if he hadn't been unfairly sacked.

It makes little difference to me whether or not GT won or lost. But I can't see why anyone could possibly think that he wasn't justified in trying to get as much money out of the club as he possibly could. If any of you wouldn't have looked to do something similar after being unfairly deprived of your careers, you must either have inherited a great deal of wealth or must need money a lot less than the average person.

From a football point of view, none of this would have mattered if Lyon had been able to pick up the ball from GT and maintained the level of performance achieved by the team in 2004-06. This hasn't happened, largely because Lyon - egged on by the previous Board, the know-nothing Fraser and others - has ignored the fundamental maxim of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".He has tried to totally reinvent and replace a game plan that had enabled us to make the top 4 three seasons in a row (if you disregard the laughable sirengate decision).

All of the above events are why we will constantly argue on this forum about GT and his legacy unless and until the team turns around its consistently piss poor performance under Lyon. The last two weeks have given us some signs of hope at last. A few more weeks like that will enable us to make the finals and perhaps bury the ghost of GT at last.

From my point of view its not about loving or hating GT. However, the PHFGTC undoubteldy do hate GT (or, to be more precise, not the real GT but some imaginary version of the man). It's strange stuff really, but it does bring a frisson of excitement to this forum which - in a perverse way - I rather enjoy. So carry on B4E, Teffers, JB, KT, St Kenny, Stinger, JD, RF et all. You all help to brighten up many a dull day in my life!! :wink: :wink:
You wanna know what a GT apologist looks like Babble? - grab a mirror.

This is seriously the musings of a misguided sooul who needs to "believe" in some sort of messiah.....its actually quite sad.

To suggest all Lyon had to do was "pick up where GT left off" is what frustrates so many fans - even your "non" PHGTFDCDE cr@p.....seriously it demonstrates a complete lack of basic knowledge in player performances and football - next you will be joining your mate Dan telling me Fraser Gehrigs just off 04 form.....

You clowns need to seriosuly WAKE THE F@RK UP this aint 2004, the list aint what you "thought" (nor was Freos to be truthful...) ITS 2008 and while we have a core of some good players we need to DEVELOP around them (GT didnt know how to spell that as evidenced by his complete lack of respect for our VFL affiliate).

Im sick and tired of people with pathetic agendas still trying to convince us we are "as good as 04 and we just need a magic potion to click" friggin fairy tale stuff.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Agendas. Pot kettle black.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Agendas. Pot kettle black.
I reply on topic....and you have to get personal....

Im deeply offended....(thats sarcasm btw......you mightnt have seen it for a while.... :wink: )

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
hey........don't lump me in with the wankers......when the f*** have i bagged grant ....... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The first srep to overcoming your problem is admitting you have one.

Get back to AA you drunken illegal immigrant lout.

Fancy having to pay good taxes for the likes of you who come here and bludge of the system with your substance abuse.

You are a disgrace to the Scottish and thats saying something.

Grant Thomas arse licker who loves and individual more than the football club.

I have news for you Mr New Arrival. While you were playing soccer in the slums of Glasgow, I was supporting the Saints. Have done so for 42 years. Have been a member since moving to Melbourne 20 years ago. I support the club not some money grabbing individual.

You and the other GT lovers support an individual and not the club. You are happy that Thomas got 250k and will now hand that over to the other spiv Butterss.

Drunken louts with brain damage like you should be ashamed of not supporting the club. Go back to the filth of the Glasgow gutter where you belong you slimy piece of filth. You dont understand our game and you dont support our club.

You disgust me with your loser attitude.

Lance or James??

stinger
Saintsational Legend

mods....do something about the abuse from this particular poster ffs......

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Nice work the usual suspects

another GT discussion locked because people cant behave themselves :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor