Saints to loose Friday night games?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I don't actually mind, we have a very poor Friday night record compared to our Saturday and Saturday Night Record.

You may not know that we have won ourt last 16 straight saturday night games at the Dome.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The Freo game rated 398,000 people in Melbourne on Telly, yet only 22K turned up.

398K is a good audience for a friday night game, so we still rated quite well.

It looks like plenty of Saints fans are happy to still watch us on the box, but can't be arsed turning up and supporting the team in person.

Yep, we are playing a lot of crap, ugly footy, but surely we should've got 25K considering the Friday Night Neutrals that always turn up.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

My guess is that the major thing that CH7 and 10 will be looking at in determining who plays on a Friday night is the number of people watching their television sets when each team plays.

I recall a poster late last year explaining the 'ratings figures' in terms of their appeal to prospective sponsors.

Whilst the numbers attending the game affect the $ we are generating, I'm not sure how much importance is placed on them when the TV channels decide who they want to play on a Friday night?

Quixote
SS Life Member

fick·le

–adjective
1. likely to change, esp. due to caprice, irresolution; casually changeable
2. not constant or loyal in affections

[Origin: bef. 1000; ME fikel, OE ficol deceitful, akin to fācen treachery, fician to deceive, gefic deception]

describes persons that are not firm or steady in behavior, opinion, or loyalty. Fickle implies an underlying perversity as a cause for the lack of stability; suggests an innate disposition to change.

(From Dictionary.com)

Points some of our esteemed 'supporters' seem to be forgetting:

* Friday night we fielded nine players under the age of 20
* Friday night we fielded the youngest team in the AFL
* Friday night we won a must win game against a team who - finally having found some form - were intent to 'dismantle' our finals hopes and keep their own slim aspirations alive
* Friday night our players, collectively and individually, showed as much passion and spirit for their club as I've seen in a long, long time
* Friday night we played many of the names many on here have been screaming for, and we dropped two of the names many on here have been labeling soft for as long as I can remember
* Friday night our midfield was beginning to assume a structure which looks very promising
* Friday night there may have only been 22 thousand at the game, but from where I was standing, they were as loud as I've heard them all season

Also...

* At the beginning of this year, we signed what was called one of the most lucrative sponsorship deals in the competition
* We had a clean transition of the board and have committed to spending money in the right places, for example the football department
* By 2010 or 2011 we will be moving to an elite training facility in Frankston
* We are winning games of football whilst clearly going through a list re-shape, with an emphasis on youth
* Next year, with the retirements of Fraser, Harvey and perhaps Max (not saying I want the last two to go, either!), and several new draft picks, we will again have one of the youngest lists in the comp, complimented by a core of experienced, hardened senior players in their mid-to-late twenties

Keeping in mind...

* We have not had a true full-forward since 2006 - Fraser's decline has hurt us massively. Friday night we barely had a forward line - with Kosi out, Milne in the 2's, Roo playing his true position, Fraser on the LTI, we were relying on a 19yr old first-gamer and WE STILL WON. We need to groom a forward line quick smart, and the panel is working on this as priority.
* Our CHB is out for the year, and we've seen very little of Baker and X Clarke (the latter who was showing fantastic signs when on the field this year), both who enhance our structure no-end.
* Ross Lyon did not inherit a golden chalice, he walked into a joint run into the ground by its former 'leader'. There were no kids coming through, player belief was wavering at best and there were more donkeys kicking around than a Christmas party at Old MacDonalds.

So, after all of this... after one of the best off-seasons we've had in an age, after a passionate, desperate win on Friday night, after the coach has shown he's prepared to make the hard decisions and shape the team to fit, after the players responded in a manner which should make you proud, and after - at last! - the biggest injection of youth we've had in six years...

You, the supporters, turn around and spit in the face of the club and say - No! We're Not Happy! RL Has Put The Club In A TailSpin!! Not Good Enough! Kick 150 Each Bloody Week! Sack The Coach!! The Sky's Falling In!!!

I tell ya... what a kick in the balls and a DISGRACE.

Fair dinkum, you lot are a bunch of in-breeding, flat-headed, s***-rubbing simian FLOGS.

The vitriolic sewerage, the illiterate vomit that flies around here just astounds me. Not just this thread, but the whole stinking joint. Eating your-own is not an idea for a good night out you twits!

Mutiny to you snipers is a form of cooperation!

God strike me!!

Piss-ant FLOGS!
Last edited by Quixote on Tue 24 Jun 2008 6:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:fick·le

–adjective

[Origin: bef. 1000; ME fikel, OE ficol deceitful, akin to fācen treachery, fician to deceive, gefic deception]

describes persons that are not firm or steady in behavior, opinion, or loyalty. Fickle implies an underlying perversity as a cause for the lack of stability; suggests an innate disposition to change.

(From Dictionary.com)

* Friday night we won a must win game against a team who - finally having found some form - were intent to 'dismantle' our finals hopes and keep their own slim aspirations alive
* Friday night our players, collectively and individually, showed as much passion and spirit for their club as I've seen in a long, long time
* Friday night we played many of the names many on here have been screaming for, and we dropped two of the names many on here have been labeling soft for as long as I can remember
* Friday night our midfield was beginning to assume a structure which looks very promising
* Friday night there may have only been 22 thousand at the game, but from where I was standing, they were as loud as I've heard them all season

Also...

* At the beginning of this year, we signed what was called one of the most lucrative sponsorship deals in the competition
* We had a clean transition of the board and have committed to spending money in the right places, for example the football department
* We are winning games of football whilst clearly going through a list re-shape, with an emphasis on youth
* Next year, with the retirements of Fraser, Harvey and perhaps Max (not saying I want the last two to go, either!), and several new draft picks, we will again have one of the youngest lists in the comp, complimented by a core of experienced, hardened senior players in their mid-to-late twenties

Keeping in mind...

* We have not had a true full-forward since 2006 - Fraser's decline has hurt us massively. Friday night we barely had a forward line - with Kosi out, Milne in the 2's, Roo playing his true position, Fraser on the LTI, we were relying on a 19yr old first-gamer and WE STILL WON. We need to groom a forward line quick smart, and the panel is working on this as priority.
* Our CHB is out for the year, and we've seen very little of Baker and X Clarke (the latter who was showing fantastic signs when on the field this year), both who enhance our structure no-end.
* Ross Lyon did not inherit a golden chalice, he walked into a joint run into the ground by its former 'leader'. There were no kids coming through, player belief was wavering at best and there were more donkeys kicking around than a Christmas party at Old MacDonalds.

So, after all of this... after one of the best off-seasons we've had in an age, after a passionate, desperate win on Friday night, after the coach has shown he's prepared to make the hard decisions and shape the team to fit, after the players responded in a manner which should make you proud, and after - at last! - the biggest injection of youth we've had in six years...

You, the supporters, turn around and spit in the face of the club and say - No! We're Not Happy! RL Has Put The Club In A TailSpin!! Not Good Enough! Kick 150 Each Bloody Week! Sack The Coach!! The Sky's Falling In!!!

Fair dinkum, you lot are a bunch of in-breeding, flat-headed, s***-rubbing simian FLOGS.

The vitriolic sewerage, the illiterate vomit that flies around here just astounds me. Not just this thread, but the whole stinking joint. Eating your-own is not an idea for a good night out you twits!

Mutiny to you snipers is a form of cooperation.

God strike me!!

Piss-ant FLOGS!
what he said :D

edit: in fact this deserves a whole thread of its own.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Quixote
SS Life Member

edit: in fact this deserves a whole thread of its own.

Done

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Quixote wrote:fick·le

–adjective

(From Dictionary.com)

Also...

Keeping in mind...

God strike me!!

Piss-ant FLOGS!
You lost me at "* Friday night our midfield was beginning to assume a structure which looks very promising" :roll:

Quixote
SS Life Member

iwantmeseats wrote:No coach has had the club heading down in such a tailspin.
Possibly the stupidest thing ever written on this forum. And that is saying A LOT. Well done.
iwantmeseats wrote:At least in the past it was just we werent winning. Now its not winning
What happened on Friday night you absolute twat???
iwantemeseats wrote: See the effect? Its not imagined, Its not whinging. Its VERY real and a GENUINE concern for many saints people. Dont try and just blow it off as people having a sook, because this dead serious. Our club is in a very delicate position.
Where is this effect you talk of? I cannot see it anywhere man, and really I'm looking hard. Is this VERY real and GENUINE effect perhaps hiding somewhere with our over 30 thousand members? Or perhaps this REAL effect you speak of is behind Jeld Wen door number two - the 2 plus million dollar door??? Maybe its waiting down in Frankston with the re-development? Huh?
iwantmeseats wrote:Nothing surer, we will nearly lose all of them! No one wants to watch the tripe we dish up week after week. Cant blame them either. But you CAN blame RL. On top of this, just imagine membership next year! I shudder at the thought.
And I've no doubt you'd be one of the flaccid, fickle, pea-brained pests who would abandon the cause quicker than a lemming in a Porshce off a cliff.

You're a flog - you should go away.

Fickle implies an underlying perversity as a cause for the lack of stability

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:Each year chanel 7 and 10 get together and do a "most aesthetic football club to watch" analysis which includes ; players uniforms, socksup/down etc etc - its got NOTHING to do with whose winning, whose not, which sides are deemed "blockbusters" or whose Collingwood playing etc etc ITS ALL about how "nice your style of play is"...

Some real drop kicks round this place.....but they "look" nice. :roll:

Ross is ugly...he has to go... :roll: :roll:
So we will get pretty much the same amount of Friday games next year as the last 2 years will we. Look forward to your answer and I do not for one moment want RL to finish at least till the end of his contract so there is no getting rid of RL as my reason why I think we will not get as many games.
I know you've been looking forward to this - sorry to keep you....

Should we NOT get our quota of games the reason IMHO WILL NOT be "they play ugly" the reason will be "they aint winning" and "we have Hawks playing Cats"(fairly easy to work out why theyd want to show 2 sides at the top of their game in top 4 id think...)

Its subtle...but its there.

I hope the wait was worth it... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
saint64
Club Player

That's the problem with loose games - easy come, easy go

supersaints
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:Each year chanel 7 and 10 get together and do a "most aesthetic football club to watch" analysis which includes ; players uniforms, socksup/down etc etc - its got NOTHING to do with whose winning, whose not, which sides are deemed "blockbusters" or whose Collingwood playing etc etc ITS ALL about how "nice your style of play is"...

Some real drop kicks round this place.....but they "look" nice. :roll:

Ross is ugly...he has to go... :roll: :roll:
So we will get pretty much the same amount of Friday games next year as the last 2 years will we. Look forward to your answer and I do not for one moment want RL to finish at least till the end of his contract so there is no getting rid of RL as my reason why I think we will not get as many games.
I know you've been looking forward to this - sorry to keep you....

Should we NOT get our quota of games the reason IMHO WILL NOT be "they play ugly" the reason will be "they aint winning" and "we have Hawks playing Cats"(fairly easy to work out why theyd want to show 2 sides at the top of their game in top 4 id think...)

Its subtle...but its there.

I hope the wait was worth it... :wink:
No, I don't think the worth was worth it Teflon, in fact this is one of your worst efforts.....
Fact, - Its nothing to do with the Saints losing - for your information with the exception of a draw one of the teams loses on every Friday night.
Your average AFL TV watcher does not turn on the TV because the "Saints" are playing, its because they want to watch a good game.
Friday night (in deed the whole of AFL's marketability) has got to do with the excitement of the game.
Nothing beats a free flowing high scoring game , as a spectacle - that's they way we used to play - shootout style football.
Are you seriuosly trying to say that if the Saints had won all of their games kicking the sort of scores we are (around ten goals) that we would have all of Australia tuned to the TV? and that the AFL would be trying to talk us into more Friday nights (I think not)
I hope we don't lose the Friday night games, I look forward to recording the game and watching it on Saturday when I can review the game.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

A lot o speculation in this thread (including from me) about what 'drives' the television stations into deciding which games they want in which timeslots.
IMHO very littel fact.

Does anybody have any links to tv that good give us some education into what sort of things are considered when making the decisions?

Foir arguments sake, does CH 7 prefer to have Collingwood/Essendon/Carlton (the Vic Clubs with huge following) play the Sunday twilight game in the hopes the viewers will stay on at the end of the broadcast to watch the 7 news?

It would appear that 7 doesn't particularly want the Swans to play Friday night because they don't broadcast live into Sydney?

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of factors that go into making the decisions and it would appear a little too simplistic to just say we will lose our Friday Night games because of our style of play.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:A lot o speculation in this thread (including from me) about what 'drives' the television stations into deciding which games they want in which timeslots.
IMHO very littel fact.

Does anybody have any links to tv that good give us some education into what sort of things are considered when making the decisions?

Foir arguments sake, does CH 7 prefer to have Collingwood/Essendon/Carlton (the Vic Clubs with huge following) play the Sunday twilight game in the hopes the viewers will stay on at the end of the broadcast to watch the 7 news?

It would appear that 7 doesn't particularly want the Swans to play Friday night because they don't broadcast live into Sydney?

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of factors that go into making the decisions and it would appear a little too simplistic to just say we will lose our Friday Night games because of our style of play.
Well I will guess then that we will lose at least 3 Friday night games next season because of our way of playing footy. Tes I dont know the criteria but more people from other clubs watch the 2 sides playing than the 2 competing sides so I am pretty sure the would like attractive footy.

Another thing that may happen next year due to our form is we may lose the away game against the Cats at Telstra. Yes it is a big maybe but I heard someone from Geelong yesterday saying that Footscray could be a chance next year to play Geelong at Telstra.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:I tell ya... what a kick in the balls and a DISGRACE.

God strike me!!

Piss-ant FLOGS!

:lol: i don't quite know what to say to that but "what a spray"

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I think Quixote has a problem with handling football reality. Apparently it shouldnt be discussed and we should pump up the whole shebang even when its travelling like a busted arsehole! You got me, dunno.

saint64
Club Player

BakesFan wrote:Not trying to be pedantic; just helpful. :D

Saints to LOSE Friday night games ??
I think the point is that we play too loose during Friday night games. I agree entirely (but wouldn't restrict it to Friday nights)