Robert Eddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Good on him, I hope he does well...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
matrix
Saintsational Legend

me too....i know nothing about the kid so it'll be good to see how he goes with the big step up.

still think ross is a douch bag for dropping dal tho

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

So I've got it!

Eddy is a slow moving tagger who mainly gets ubcontested ball, whose disposal is average and he can't break lines

You beauty!! Sounds like he's exactly what we've been missing: we simply don't have enough senior guys who can do this kind of stuff!!!

Seriously, he looked a fair bit better in the one game I saw him play. Go the kid!!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He has BY FAR the best endurance at the club. I watched a couple of pre-season training sessiond in late January, and he was doing a combination of 200m sprints, 400m laps of the oval, and then what looked like an extended beep test. This was within a group of other midfielders and they simply couldn't keep up with him. At every stage he was way in front...and I mean WAAAYYY in front.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Given his running capacity I'd expect Lyon to primarily use him as a tagger.
Without Birss in the side, it seems that he will have that role. Perhaps the job on Palmer.
I would be surprised to see us tag Palmer, I would expect him to go to Bell first. (not what I think SHOULD happen but what I think WILL happen...)

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

why tag bell all he does is get cheep possessions at the back of the pack herdly damaging if your going to tag anyone its gotta be palmer

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Eddy hada very good debut.

His skills seemed to be a lot better than some would have had us believe.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

constant out ran his opponent and made plent of space.

Can somebody give me an idea on how he moves? A bit of a poor mans Ryan Griffen? (I wish :wink: )

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints94
SS Life Member

Wasn't when Gehrig was placed on the long-term injury list that we could elavate a rookie in Robert Eddy?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Eddy did pretty well. Didn't dominate, but attacked the ball well, ran hard and seemed fairly comfortable with the footy. It is whether he can be a bit more damaging with his disposal that will determine his future in the AFL.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Eddy did pretty well. Didn't dominate, but attacked the ball well, ran hard and seemed fairly comfortable with the footy. It is whether he can be a bit more damaging with his disposal that will determine his future in the AFL.
I don't think you watched the same game I did.

For a first game....it was a marvelous debut.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I don't think you watched the same game I did.

It was a good debut (probably just ahead of Allen as the best if the debutants). I think he's got the potential to be a 150-game player for us as long as he does a bit more with the footy (and at 19 you'd expect he's got a bit of improvement left). But he certainly wasn't the matchwinner.

Do you disagree with any of that?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:

It was a good debut (probably just ahead of Allen as the best if the debutants). I think he's got the potential to be a 150-game player for us as long as he does a bit more with the footy (and at 19 you'd expect he's got a bit of improvement left). But he certainly wasn't the matchwinner.

Yes he was better than Allen by a clear margin.

....and nobody is claiming that he was a "matchwinner"...

His game for a debutant was very good.

Even compared to "all players" his game was good enough to keep his spot.

Allen's game was ok for a first gamer....but below par when compared to what you would want as a minimum long term.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

Allen's game was ok for a first gamer....but below par when compared to what you would want as a minimum long term.
IMO Eddy was very good, it was a shame to see we didn't tag Palmer, he was very dangerous at times, I fear that Lyon doesn't pay some of the younger blokes from other teams enough respect (remember Josh Hill?).

Back to Eddy, IMO he was the clear BOG for all our raw kids (9 of them from another post), He must be played along with Geary, Allen, McEvoy, Gilbert and Armitage.

IMO the players whos spots are most in question are McQualter and Gwilt. Those two just don't seem to be up to it...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

IMO Eddy was very good, it was a shame to see we didn't tag Palmer, he was very dangerous at times, I fear that Lyon doesn't pay some of the younger blokes from other teams enough respect (remember Josh Hill?).

Back to Eddy, IMO he was the clear BOG for all our raw kids (9 of them from another post), He must be played along with Geary, Allen, McEvoy, Gilbert and Armitage.

IMO the players whos spots are most in question are McQualter and Gwilt. Those two just don't seem to be up to it...
Please remember its not the old union practises here last in first out law. Gwilt and Mini have come in and played well without being top 5 but Gwilt was clean and composed while Minis attack on the pill was Luke Ball like.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I've been impressed with Mini the last two weeks.

Endevour has been first rate and never took a backwards step.

I see him being able to play a Monfries type role, abit of a defensive role inside forward 50, who can snag a couple of goals here and there.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

How about Eddy Roberts?

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Armoooo wrote: IMO Eddy was very good, it was a shame to see we didn't tag Palmer, he was very dangerous at times, I fear that Lyon doesn't pay some of the younger blokes from other teams enough respect (remember Josh Hill?).

Don't think Palmer's the type you tag, he's the type you pressure. He commands the ball well, and runs well... but his disposal is inconsistant to say the least. Was head to head with Hayes in the 1st, and they both got plenty of it - difference being that Hayes was damaging, and Palmer was a clangerfest (he put up 9 total clangers next to 2 frees against! wow)... Freo's opponents won't mind him winning a lot of ball until he is more punishing with it than that.

Funny how different people see different things... I'd have Mini and Gwilt as the two best of the green brigade (all the fans who were sitting near me and riding Gwilt at every touch made me wonder if they were actually watching - but on past Gwilt experience, I'll certain listen if someone has a list of awful mistakes I missed, and Mini didn't look out of place in the middle after Hayes went off)... where I had Allen and Eddy both earning another look, but definately showing 1st game nerves with the ball. Armo was okay but nothing special, and Geary and Gilbert are struggling... but all are willing combatants who will go in for the contested ball, and I'm willing to tolerate mistakes from guys with that few games under their belt as long as they're in for the contest.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Solar
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Armoooo wrote: IMO Eddy was very good, it was a shame to see we didn't tag Palmer, he was very dangerous at times, I fear that Lyon doesn't pay some of the younger blokes from other teams enough respect (remember Josh Hill?).

Don't think Palmer's the type you tag, he's the type you pressure. He commands the ball well, and runs well... but his disposal is inconsistant to say the least. Was head to head with Hayes in the 1st, and they both got plenty of it - difference being that Hayes was damaging, and Palmer was a clangerfest (he put up 9 total clangers next to 2 frees against! wow)... Freo's opponents won't mind him winning a lot of ball until he is more punishing with it than that.

Funny how different people see different things... I'd have Mini and Gwilt as the two best of the green brigade (all the fans who were sitting near me and riding Gwilt at every touch made me wonder if they were actually watching - but on past Gwilt experience, I'll certain listen if someone has a list of awful mistakes I missed, and Mini didn't look out of place in the middle after Hayes went off)... where I had Allen and Eddy both earning another look, but definately showing 1st game nerves with the ball. Armo was okay but nothing special, and Geary and Gilbert are struggling... but all are willing combatants who will go in for the contested ball, and I'm willing to tolerate mistakes from guys with that few games under their belt as long as they're in for the contest.
hey Bam on gwilt, I actually think people guess in advance about certain players. When a gwilt for instance gets a dodgy handpass that missed him in the second quarter some around me automatically abused gwilt. Then on replay they relise that ball tried a no look handpass which missed the target (leading to a soft pavlich goal). Anyway the point I make is that some supporters love to bag certain players, no matter how bad/good they are at the time.

On eddy, love the kid. He knows that his kicking can let him down but has improved his kicking and decision making out of sight. He and CJ are development players. Sharpen their skills up to a pass mark and you have two handy hard working players.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saint64
Club Player

I liked Eddy's tackle on Pav in Freo's goalsquare in 1st or 2nd quarter