One Positive!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

suss
Club Player

Ray Broughton wrote:

You're a flog

What a load s..t, you asked for positives just so you could shoot them down and blame everything from warm gatorade at training to lost games on RL.

"nooone wants to win NAB cups?" Pretty sure every club in the AFL would love 350k in the kick, some more than others.

How can consistency purely be his fault? I wouldve thought unless he makes drastic moves it relies solely on the players, not the coach ffs. Have you ever played a game of footy? Fade outs are NOT the coaches fault. Hopeless shortfalls in the players endeavour are NOT the coaches fault, even if you hate the coach, cant get along with him, dont agree yadda yadda you still do your utmost to win for your team, esp when its your JOB.

You keep saying but we played so well in the NAB cup, then saying they dont mean anything, a little INCONSISTENT yourself don't you think?

Oh and in case youve forgotten when we played well in the NAB, RL was in charge then and had been for 12 months.

It'll take years to replace players? Well RL should apologise as plenty of other coaches are able to turn a list around quicker.

Rant to Troll over
Best 16th post ever....

NoMore
Club Player

The NAB cup win may have been a positive.

From where i stand apart from the money i don't care whether we win it or not. The best thing about it was that we were playing our practice matches on good grounds.

People on here want to get rid of players who don't put in at the moment we would be getting rid of 3 quarters of the team. You can't replace these players over night. You are looking at at least 2 years probably longer.

I played football for 10 years under a few different coaches. Anyone who has played football will know that when you have a good coach morale at a club is sky high because even when things aren't great they know how to manage people. However when you have bad coaches the morale at a club drops away fast.

St_Cave
Club Player

I played football for 10 years under a few different coaches. Anyone who has played football will know that when you have a good coach morale at a club is sky high because even when things aren't great they know how to manage people. However when you have bad coaches the morale at a club drops away fast.
I would have to agree, obviously this isn't AFL standard footy we are talking about but in my playing experience and in my post playing days I have witnessed this more than once. I was lucky enough to be around when Dean Laidley was coaching up in Canberra. He turned around a team that hadn't won a game in more than 3 years into a finals team who played great footy. This was all within one season with the same list of players. I think to a degree he has done the same thing with North Melbourne who IMO overachieve every week. I don’t rate there list much at all but he manages to get the best out of them.

I think it is a matter of finding a way to inspire the players which seems a massive problem at the moment. In Deans case he was an absolute a$$ hole and the players were scared to stuff up because they feared his wrath. I don't think this works for everyone but my point is he found a way to inspire that particular group of players.

IMO by the time players are playing at an AFL level they already have the skills to do what is needed but they aren't always mentally there. I think it is the major role of the coach to find a way to get the best out of his particular playing group. Inspiration alone can make an average player a star.