What does St Kilda stand for?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

We do have a messiah complex, have a look at what we worship at the club, individuals.
The Baldocks, the Locketts, the Barkers etc, but never the team.
Football is a team game and until we start worshiping the team not the individual the better.
I said in a previous post, if I were president I would remove all individual awards form our trophy cabinent and leave only the team trophies.
Naturally we do need team worthy of celebrating not only on the field but in the office.
Some dynamics, I mean look at Kennett, Mcguire, Costa etc, all these guys bleed for their team and stand up for it in their position.
When was the last a St.Kilda official stood up and raised hell with the AFL.
I mean after that Fremantle game that was won by the umpires in Subiaco and the alleged comments over heard by Tony Jones on the plane on the way back from Melbourne.
We should have raised hell about that, we should have demanded an investigation and not allow it to be swept conveniently under the carpet.
In all honesty, Burkey and Thommo should be the spokespeople for the club, not only to the outside world but to us members.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
maverick wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:Here's a secret maverick . . . most clubs rely on the messiah complex.

The most successful clubs through history have had a person that the club rallied around.

There's exceptions of course but it's not uncommon to have a Matthews, a Pratt, a McGuire, etc.

We have nobody atm.
They are not messiahs, they are leaders (except Pratt IMO)

The difference is proven success in their field.
Matthews is a proven leader of men in footy, McGuire a proven walking PR man..neither steps out of their domain, they are smart enough to leave other parts of the footy department to the experts in there.

A messiah thinks they can control all areas and honestly believes they are the best at it...they have success in one area and think its easy to transalte that across into another...

Effectively out of their depth...this is what we get...flawed leadership...
That's not the definition of a messiah.

A messiah is a strong leader who delivers the goods.

All sports survive on this. Michael Jordan at the Bulls. Guus Hiddink with the Socceroos. Johnny Wilkinson for the Poms.

The list could go on.

Because we select the wrong Messiah, as opposed to Carlton who have a history of selecting (or buying) good messiah's is not really the point.

Both clubs, like most others, need a messiah.

A messiah isn't a self-proclaimed leader, in the footy world. A messiah is a person that others see as a leader to follow to the promised land.

We've simply come up short in our history when looking for these leaders.
Well I agree with much of what you wrote, maybe semantics I disagree.

To me a messiah is a saviour who is given the key to the place to do whatever he pleases, while others just watch on and worship him (or her)

How about we get a visionary CEO, a media savvy Footy Ops Manager, a creative membership manager a recruiting department bigger than one bloke in the back of his combi and a medical department with more than 1/2 a box of panadol and a band aid

Spend up big for christ sake, throw money at the best in the business....and don't get them from the Swans :x

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:What a bloody good, sensible idea that is!

Warney is a passionate Saints fan, with a huge media/public profile, and very smart to boot.

No - forget about his womanising - he's a very astute sportsperson with significant business interests also.

He could be the perfect fit.
Are you kidding???? :shock:

I've no doubt he's a passionate Saints man, and the best bowler I've witnessed in the past 20 years. But with anything other than cricket he is as dumb as a stump. He can barely string two words together.

Not very presidential ...
At least he could provide us with a lot of spin

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
supersaints
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
St DAC wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:What a bloody good, sensible idea that is!

Warney is a passionate Saints fan, with a huge media/public profile, and very smart to boot.

No - forget about his womanising - he's a very astute sportsperson with significant business interests also.

He could be the perfect fit.
Are you kidding???? :shock:

I've no doubt he's a passionate Saints man, and the best bowler I've witnessed in the past 20 years. But with anything other than cricket he is as dumb as a stump. He can barely string two words together.

Not very presidential ...
At least he could provide us with a lot of spin
Got to agree with barks4eva Warne is as dumb as dogs..t

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

What does St Kilda Stand For?

The whipping boys of the VFL/AFL.

26 or whatever wooden spoons (no team will ever catch that record) to go with 1 premiership in over 100 years.

Don't know what it was like for the first 50 or so years, but I know that since 1962 I have seen us play in 4 Grand Finals, winning only one by 1 point.

Late 70's and 80's we were deliriously happy if we lost a game by less than a goal. The party lasted all week, which is probably why we lost the next week.

St Kilda stands for at best mediocrity, at worst failure.

I love the mighty Sainters and always will. So will my children and grandchildren, I hope.

They are my team for better or worse (a bit like a marriage, although I haven't been able to make a couple of them stick).

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
JeffDunne

I think a few have missed the point of the question.

It's a question of where we are now. What we stand for. What we are aiming for.

Now I know the simple answer to the last part is a premiership but that's a result not a plan.

I'm still none the wiser on what our club currently stands for.

St.Kenny
Club Player

There's your answer ..................confusion and Kaos ! :D

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
I'm still none the wiser on what our club currently stands for.
Losing

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D