Perspective Please...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Perspective Please...

aussierules0k wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:
Remember, when the team coached itself?
...yep, when the kids had fun and played naturally.

Tho it did come after a couple of shocker years, proving the window shut theory can be smashed easily with a hot blast of confidence. Can RL deliver that confidence? We'll see. We aint on the bottom, so I doubt the board will dump the coach before his time is up.

ok, my biggest fear.
Some players will lose the faith all together and ask to be traded. In a losing climate not many good players would want to come here. Plus the draft will be slim due to the 2 teams from "thin-air". Hence we could find ourselves in a very dire situation and a couple of years. We are starring perennial bottom 4 down the barrel.

I hate to put even more pressure on the lads, but it's now or never for the Saints. We MUST have Fortius Quo Fidelius. We MUST believe.

90% of footy is played between the ears.
well said

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote: Oh and that pace issue ... isn't that a selection issue combined with a coaching instruction issue re holding the ball up rather than playing on?
Do point out thet stockpile of pace we have in reserve just waiting to be called up?

Birss? or Armo?... :roll:
You will stick up for RL what ever happens I will say why did we sack a coach with GT record but please explain what this guy does that you think will get us to the next step because I cannot see it.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

i am insulted that you found the tone of my first post insulting!

ok so I think I understand now ... it is the players fault for not putting in enough effort and have some sort of mental block!

OK so now that is all cleared up, I can go to bed.

And just for the record ... the players in their prime (see BigMarto's post) are very good AFL footballers who played brilliantly well 2004-6 and have had very poor 2007 and 2008 to date by the standards they set in those years. I do not include X or Raph in that as I have never rated either.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
JeffDunne

We know that the players can play better. We've seen it.

Do we know the coach can coach better?

Or do we just 'hope'?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

oh and pace is NOT about foot speed

it is about game style

we play a one on one game style ... we dont run off our opponent we run WITH our opponents

geelong, hawthorn, western bulldogs, adelaide, swans, collingwood (I see a pattern here) etc are playing our gaemstyle from 2004-6 ... move the ball on at all costs and accept some stuff ups but mainly put your head over the ball and win it and then attack, attack, attack ... Armitage and Birss win the ball and move it on ... and when the opposition have the ball attack the man with the ball hard, cover the switch and look for the chop out down the line.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote: Oh and that pace issue ... isn't that a selection issue combined with a coaching instruction issue re holding the ball up rather than playing on?
Do point out thet stockpile of pace we have in reserve just waiting to be called up?

Birss? or Armo?... :roll:
You will stick up for RL what ever happens I will say why did we sack a coach with GT record but please explain what this guy does that you think will get us to the next step because I cannot see it.
You miss the point but take a number and get in line.

I owe Ross Lyon nothing - I as much as the next supporter will help him pack if hes deemed to not be able to coach.

Hes had 1.5 yrs and is a rookie coach with a list IMO that requires changes. Thomas had 5 and performed well earlty and helped stabilise our club but then started a war with the Board and wanted to take over Russia and call it Thomasville. And hes still going.

If you feel Grant should still be coach - good luck to you. Im glad hes gone as I dont believe as a coach he could develop players - and Im not talking about Nick Riewoldts.

Big difference.

I would still like to assess Lyon at season end - if hes not playing kids, still recyclibng Fiora then he should move.

But I wont jumpon that bandwagon cause a few nervous nellies say its time only to have us start again and be totally labelled as rabble.

“Yeah….nah””
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Jeff - Goodes was being picked up by Blake in the midfield but when he ran forward Fisher was covering him ... in the transition he often ended up on his own, then when Fisher went to the midfield after half time ... I think they went 1 on 1.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:i am insulted that you found the tone of my first post insulting!

ok so I think I understand now ... it is the players fault for not putting in enough effort and have some sort of mental block!

And just for the record ... the players in their prime (see BigMarto's post) are very good AFL footballers who played brilliantly well 2004-6 and have had very poor 2007 and 2008 to date by the standards they set in those years. I do not include X or Raph in that as I have never rated either.
Oh ok,......so we finished 8th in 2006 and were sliding so IMO we had 2 good years in 04/05 with these players and you forgot to mention (while you were giving GT injury credits) how was Lyons 2007 injury run? many said much worse (GT said it himself cause he mentioned Lyon lost his midfield - something Thomas was able to keep on the park)...I guess that doesnt suit your line of argument to acknowlege that?

night.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:i am insulted that you found the tone of my first post insulting!

Oh ok,......so we finished 8th in 2006 and were sliding so IMO we had 2 good years in 04/05 with these players and you forgot to mention (while you were giving GT injury credits) how was Lyons 2007 injury run? many said much worse (GT said it himself cause he mentioned Lyon lost his midfield - something Thomas was able to keep on the park)...I guess that doesnt suit your line of argument to acknowlege that?

night.
And this year is caused through? GT fault if you ask me.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:oh and pace is NOT about foot speed

it is about game style

we play a one on one game style ... we dont run off our opponent we run WITH our opponents

geelong, hawthorn, western bulldogs, adelaide, swans, collingwood (I see a pattern here) etc are playing our gaemstyle from 2004-6 ... move the ball on at all costs and accept some stuff ups but mainly put your head over the ball and win it and then attack, attack, attack ... Armitage and Birss win the ball and move it on ... and when the opposition have the ball attack the man with the ball hard, cover the switch and look for the chop out down the line.
Armitage and Birrs played last week. Still looked slow?

Pace and moving the ball quickly from a stoppage requires a player who can run and carry and break kines - thats something to do with footspeed and mental speedin decision making). We dont have mnay options in this area do we?

Interestingly Lyon put Gram inton the middle after half time and we started to see that and Swans tried to man him up accordingly (he did well for that period Gram and caused some headaches). We need more of these type of players to compliment Ball/Hayes hard work its that simple.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:

night.
How so Plugger?

“Yeah….nah””
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Lets resume this arguement when Lyon wins 14 of 22 games in a season like GT's team did in 2006 ... which according to you constitutes a slide from 2005 where GT's team was in 2005, when it won hmmm 14 of 22.

Yep HUGE slide!

Now lets talk about slides.

How many games did we win in 2007?

Injuries were bad BUT so were the 2006 injuries.

And the 2007 draw was MUCH better. 2006 was a killer draw packed with interstate games a huge number of 6 day breaks.

Anyway - lets resume this when Lyon wins game number 14 this season.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Lets resume this arguement when Lyon wins 14 of 22 games in a season like GT's team did in 2006 ... which according to you constitutes a slide from 2005 where GT's team was in 2005, when it won hmmm 14 of 22.

Yep HUGE slide!

And the 2007 draw was MUCH better. 2006 was a killer draw packed with interstate games a huge number of 6 day breaks.

Why bother?

Youve made up your "open mind" the coach needs to be sacked and that ALL our problems are game plan cause our list is 24-28 and BETTER than 04/05... :roll:

Dont see much point in arguing about Lyon with you - do you?

night.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:Lets resume this arguement when Lyon wins 14 of 22 games in a season like GT's team did in 2006 ... which according to you constitutes a slide from 2005 where GT's team was in 2005, when it won hmmm 14 of 22.

Yep HUGE slide!

Why bother?

Youve made up your "open mind" the coach needs to be sacked and that ALL our problems are game plan cause our list is 24-28 and BETTER than 04/05... :roll:

Dont see much point in arguing about Lyon with you - do you?

night.
And you have made up your mind he is better than GT. I know which one has a better record and which one came off a lower base. By the way I wouldnt sack this coach like I wouldnt sack the last coach. Gives players to many outs.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:

night.
Im still waiting for you to elaborate on how this year is GT's fault plugger....its an intriguing commment..

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:

night.
Im still waiting for you to elaborate on how this year is GT's fault plugger....its an intriguing commment..
It is called sarcasm.

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:oh and pace is NOT about foot speed

it is about game style

good point- make no mistake, we have some fast runners at our club.
However we are not talking about robots here- the pace in our team is being sapped by those ball carriers chasing ass, flooding into defence.

this reactive game style makes me sick.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:And you have made up your mind he is better than GT. I know which one has a better record and which one came off a lower base. By the way I wouldnt sack this coach like I wouldnt sack the last coach. Gives players to many outs.
And here we have agreement. I also didn't call for GT to be sacked, and IMO the reasons he was sacked were not on-field performance based. But once he was gone, and the board apponted RL, then he has a contract period to show his wares. If at the end of that period the board deem his coaching performance is not good enough no doubt he'll get the boot, and I'll support the next coach.

And yes, sacking a coach is often a copout response to the players lack of personal responsibility for their own form.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

TONE(?) of the post?????

u can hear it can ya?

honestly u most be the most correct person in the world teflon.....everyone else is full of shite and your opinion is the only one matters.

your name is appropriate....s*** doesnt stick.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

You're all a bunch of tossers!

Can't you you get over the fact that maybe the players aren't good enough.

Plugger66 you are the biggest one of the lot

Another opportunity awaits!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:You're all a bunch of tossers!

Thank you. You seem like a nice person. Hope to meet you some day.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 4:43am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
bergsone
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

Love to see the result if all on here meet up together one day

steph
Club Player

i wont buy into this rubbish of us being a slow team.

Pace comes from RUNNING IN NUMBERS, hence why the dogs/hawks/cats look like a "fast" side. They work for each other, and give each other options.

We like to leave the workload up to the same old lenny's, ball's and good old harvs. Somethings eventually gonna give when its the same 10 players putting in, and the rest are just spectating.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I'll buy you a beer if I do

Another opportunity awaits!