In retrospect

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints43
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:if chokeo EVER coaches us i will seriously not be happy.
Really?

A premiership coach.

You would not be happy.

Finished on top of the ladder three times in a row.

Not good enough for this club?

You post a lot... and I wonder why.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

You can only get what is available....

Good experienced coaches were simply not available. Not unless you would have been happy with ayres!!!

Those spouting this line that we could only accept an experienced coach are those that were deluded that the Saint's list was the "best in the competion" whereas it actually had many problems (thought admitedlly better than what rookie coaches normally get to start with).

Posters can mention Matthews as much as they like...he was never an option and why would he have been?

Financially he is very well looked after...and by end of 2006 he already had his rebuilding of the "new" Lions well under way.

Through heaps of cash at him????
1/ No guarantee that you could outbid the Qld interests anyway
2/ Last time we paid heaps to "buy a coach that really did not want to join us it was disasterous in terms of coaching (that it did deliver the great boon of attracting a magnificent pool of good players that topped up our list nicely and boosted us into being a finals team).

So it gets back to which assistant coach would you have picked????

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
JeffDunne

saintsRrising wrote:Those spouting this line that we could only accept an experienced coach are those that were deluded that the Saint's list was the "best in the competion" whereas it actually had many problems (thought admitedlly better than what rookie coaches normally get to start with).
What utter tripe.

So Malthouse went to the Pies because they were the "best in the competion"?

Matthews to the Lions? Pagan at the Blues? Eade at the Dogs? Wallace at the Tigers? Dare I say it, Blight going to St Kilda?

If we wanted an experienced coach we would have chased one.

Fact is we didn't apart from a last minute call to Laidley.

congorozides
Club Player

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:I still can't understand why i didn't get the nod, i thought my resume was pretty good coaching from the comfort of my lounge.

Maybe next time.
what happend.

agree. you powerpoint demonstration was also the best.
not sure . i think your $1 million per year was a bit much maybe?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Those spouting this line that we could only accept an experienced coach are those that were deluded that the Saint's list was the "best in the competion" whereas it actually had many problems (thought admitedlly better than what rookie coaches normally get to start with).
What utter tripe.

So Malthouse went to the Pies because they were the "best in the competion"?

Matthews to the Lions? Pagan at the Blues? Eade at the Dogs? Wallace at the Tigers? Dare I say it, Blight going to St Kilda? .

What relevance Malthouse or Matthews in your example at the time that they were available.......to the time that the Saints were hiring???? =None.

Matthews was NOT available to us. Yes he was to the Lions when they were looking.

Malthouse wanted to come home to Victoria. so he was available when the Pies were looking.

Now Blight you mention...yes he was available. Did you want him again????? LOL!!!

What is relevant is what good experienced coaches were available when the saints were looking. Answer is nil.
JeffDunne wrote:
If we wanted an experienced coach we would have chased one.

Fact is we didn't apart from a last minute call to Laidley.
Again you are kidding yourself..

Chased one??? No one that was any good was available.

There is no point chasing...if you cannot actually obtain them.

Matthews and Malthouse were never going anywhere at the time the Saints were looking.

You might as well say we should have drafted Buddy...for he was not available at our pick either.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
JeffDunne

sRr - as usual, you completely miss the point.

I was illustrating that your suggestion that experienced coaches would only sign based on having the best list in the competition was utter tripe.

FWIW, if anyone can be charged with being deluded by the strength of our list it wasn't the supporters.
saintsRrising wrote:There is no point chasing...if you cannot actually obtain them.
How in god's name do you know you can't sign them if you don't chase them? :?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:if chokeo EVER coaches us i will seriously not be happy.
Really?

A premiership coach.

You would not be happy.

Finished on top of the ladder three times in a row.

Not good enough for this club?

You post a lot... and I wonder why.
because i dont like port.
full stop