Matthew Ferguson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

So let's look at the player Ferguson has replaced - L. Fisher.

A very proficient defender in terms of protecting space, hard over the ball using his body shape, a good overhead mark and very acceptable disposal.

The problem L. Fisher has run into is the opposition.

Most clubs these days have very fleet-footed forward pockets/flankers, and the pace and the skills to really cause havoc.

So Leigh Fisher has been found out by the ever evolving game, because his reputation was as a back pocket cum half back flanker.

This evolving of the game also sees our only defender with pace, Gram, now having to play as a defender, not a rebounding defender where his maximum offensive value is to St Kilda.

Who will Gram pick up against Melbourne? - because we have no options and the player replacing L. Fisher is not an option either.

Just as well one of the dangerous, creative Melbourne small forwards is out with injury!

To cause a stir, and I am genuine, I would have preferred R. Clarke persevered with.

And the Melbourne player Gram will have to go to has come off their Rookie List - and we promote McQualter!

Enough said.

supersaints
Club Player

[quote="
This evolving of the game also sees our only defender with pace, Gram, now having to play as a defender, not a rebounding defender where his maximum offensive value is to St Kilda.

Enough said.[/quote]

Gram is not able to play the rebounding roll because of lack of backline personell, not "evolvement of the game". When we were getting all the run off half back we had both Sam and Grammy being able to create run through the backline, its very hard to stop two runners.Due to lack of key defenders Sam has had to go to CHB and Gram take on the second tall forward, they continually drag Grammy back to the goal square to prevent his run. RL should be swapping him over with another player when they do this, but we just have not got the bodys to do this, maybe Gwilt will do this (but I think Gwilt is a better forward).

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
To the top
SS Life Member

Gram is unable to roll into the role he previously played because, as our one defender with genuine leg speed he is having to match up on the quick-silver small forwards every other team appears to have these days.

And these guys play close to goal, where they cause major havoc including defensively.

So there is a double whammy - increased defensive responsibilities and being taken closer to goal.

So we really need to find a quick, medium built defender - and this question should be put to Howard.

I absolutely agree that our absence of an alternate for CHB to Maguire, and the resultant need to play Sam Fisher there is hurting - because our ideal set up is Gram on one flank and Sam Fisher on the other.

To round out our back 6, we need Max to continue to stand up, Gilbert to recover and play as the 3rd tall option (as under study to Max) and Howard to put his hand up.

Plus Maguire to recover, or an alternate CHB candidate to be unearthed.

Plus another option as a tall defender would not go astray for when Max retires and Gilbert assumes full-back.

They give Allen periodic exposure at Casey, so he may be an option.

But that being the case, he needs experience at that level - so forget him playing forward.

Casey is about player development and the results do not matter as much as the education being put into players in match conditions.

And R. Clarke, sitting on the pine, is an option at either end.

AlpineStars
Club Player

Do you remember Fergs first game Vs Port Adelaide? He played forward and presented well took a couple of strong contested marks and was unlucky to not have a couple more paid. Everyone thought he was stiff to get dropped the next week. I am sure he will know this is it for his AFL career so he will be busting his arse to stay there.

Wake me up when September ends.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

BEST LOOKING PLAYER ON THE LIST....CAN PLAY FOOTY TOO....ONLY NEEDS A CHANCE...GO FOR IT FERGIE....LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.