Ben Mcevoy!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vacuous space
SS Life Member

MadSaintFan wrote:Aren't Ben's main attributes height and mobility?
He's definitely not a mobile big man. He's slow and he's not very agile. He's not going to contribute a lot at ground level. What he does have is great hands and terrific skills. He needs to work on his ruckwork as well. Gardiner and King are are both better in the middle.

I think he's ready to play when the opportunity arises. He won't come straight in and dominate though.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
MadSaintFan
Club Player

Thanks for clearing that up.

I guess the question is where he would be played?
From what Iv seen Gardiner and King arent our problem, its the lack of quality depth in the midfield at their feet.
Personally I'd be giving King and Gards every chance to improve their partnership. Gards in particular will only get better with game time.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:For those wanting to rush McEvoy also remember that McIntosh was drafted at No 9 in 2002...
McIntosh was also overweight, overconfident and playing for a team that refuses to p(l)ay it's early draft picks. McEvoy is fit and firing. If King or Gardiner isn't able to go tomorrow, he'll come straight in. He's not being rushed at all. He's earned a chance when one arises.
There are those wanting to play McEvoy in place of Gardi or King = that would be rushing him as his ruckwork is not yet good.

I would play him next time one of these (or perhaps Kosi) is not available = not rushing him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:There are those wanting to play McEvoy in place of Gardi or King = that would be rushing him as his ruckwork is not yet good.
King has appeared very limited the last couple of games. Gardiner hasn't exactly dominated the centre or around the ground. I'd have no problem with playing McEvoy - who will contribute - ahead of one of those guys. I don't think his ruckwork is bad enough to keep him out of the side.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
congorozides
Club Player

how did he go with the scorps? anyone got a scorps match review this week?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

No VFL this week. They played the SANFL and got flogged.

Personally, I'd like to see him actually play an AFL game before declaring him a champion. Experience tells me that it might take more than one game too.

congorozides
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:For those wanting to rush McEvoy also remember that McIntosh was drafted at No 9 in 2002...
McIntosh was also overweight, overconfident and playing for a team that refuses to p(l)ay it's early draft picks. McEvoy is fit and firing. If King or Gardiner isn't able to go tomorrow, he'll come straight in. He's not being rushed at all. He's earned a chance when one arises.
There are those wanting to play McEvoy in place of Gardi or King = that would be rushing him as his ruckwork is not yet good.

I would play him next time one of these (or perhaps Kosi) is not available = not rushing him.
agree. play him when the opportunity arises. but if gardi and king (and kosi) are 100% fit we play them .

but dont play rix ahead of mcevoy. no point in that.