know who's soft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

suss
Club Player

The Peanut wrote:suss wrote:
So what you're saying is: we have players that are soft but the coach is more soft because he keeps selecting them?

Honestly, does Ross Lyon have a duty to make the players attack the ball once they cross the white line?? I wouldn't have thought so.

well, I would have thought that it's definitely RL's responsibility - who else could it be?

He influences the drafted players
He is in charge of training
He overseas the fitness staff
He picks his assistants and overseas them
He is in charge of the selection panel
He does the pre-game banter (or directs the person that does)
He is in charge at the 'box'.

There isn't or shouldn't be anything that he is not responsible for in the football department.

You can't blame the players - like he did yesterday - if they are soft - it's 'his' fault - either that or he is having one hell of a lot of 'bad luck'.
Who else could it be? Their own.

Every Saints player should attack the pill like it's a loaf of bread and they haven't eaten for two weeks.

Every Saints player should play each game like its their last.

Every Saints player should be motivated to the point of spewing without needing a third party to rev them up.

If Ross selects a player that needs motivating to play for the jumper, then he's selected the wrong player. But who ultimately shoud be to blame? The coach for picking a spiritless individual or the pr!ck are can't be bothered putting on the jumper and busting his gut to represent his club?

markp
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Every Saints player should attack the pill like it's a loaf of bread
They're certainly kicking it that way at least....

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

suss wrote:Who else could it be? Their own.

Every Saints player should attack the pill like it's a loaf of bread and they haven't eaten for two weeks.

Every Saints player should play each game like its their last.

Every Saints player should be motivated to the point of spewing without needing a third party to rev them up.

If Ross selects a player that needs motivating to play for the jumper, then he's selected the wrong player. But who ultimately shoud be to blame? The coach for picking a spiritless individual or the pr!ck are can't be bothered putting on the jumper and busting his gut to represent his club?

Asolutely spot on. :D

The Peanut
Club Player

Sorry, you mob have lost me completely ...

Why would the players need to lift their game if they keep getting selected no matter how they play and there is no-one to spark them up - they can creep past the media and go home each week after a loss and get some comfort from peeping at their bank balances.

Ross Lyon is paid by the club to build and co-ordinate a team in a way to make the final eight ... and to win Grand Finals - the buck always stops with him.

He has had one and half years to get things happening ... and seems to be going backwards (pun) ... as much as I don't like to go back to the GT years - GT seemed to know how to get a fair bit out of the boys on game-day, the same players now appear to be on extended holidays.

I suspect that Leigh Mathews scolded his players more severely than Ross Lyon did last night because they let St Kilda kick a few towards the end of the match.

I am not calling for sacking of RL - but a boot up his butt might make him realise that just because we don't have a lot of success doesn't mean we will stand for the sort of second rate football he is ultimately responsible for.
Last edited by The Peanut on Mon 26 May 2008 6:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

thats the first time in 10 yrs knowing the peanut he has fired up

if the peanut gets riled you can take it from me we are in deep chyt

Buckets
SS Life Member

rogerwa wrote:thats the first time in 10 yrs knowing the peanut he has fired up

if the peanut gets riled you can take it from me we are in deep chyt
Yep i think the chyt is only just beginning to hit the fan and its going to get a lot worse before it gets better me thinks!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

The Peanut wrote:Ross Lyon is paid by the club to build and co-ordinate a team in a way to make the final eight ... and to win Grand Finals - the buck always stops with him.
Yes it does. Quite right.

But the players are grown men who get paid very well in the main for living their dream and representing our club. They shouldn't need Ross Lyon (or GT or anyone else for that matter) to convince them to play their hearts out.

Robert Harvey doesn't need it.
Lenny Hayes doesn't need it.
Nick Riewoldt doesn't need it.
Max Hudghton doesn't need it.
Luke Ball doesn't need it.

There's quite a few others who should look at these blokes and get the message. And that's not down to the coach; that's down to the player.

In other words IMO the player is responsible for his own form. Or lack thereof.