Why drop Charlie?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: What about MILNE?

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Ice Wolf wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:If we want to talk about mistakes costing the team I saw MILNE make 8 shockers in the first half... an number of them costing us goals.
Yeah but Milne is always making mistakes, people forget cause he does something amazing every once in a while. Frustrating player Milne you don't know whether to hug him or strangle him.
milne kicks goals ... quite a commodity in our forward line
We need the 3 divas back. :lol:
does the club know you're on here plugger? aren't you not supposed to be leaking stuff any more? :wink:
Arnt fans allowed on here anymore. It will rather boring with only opposition people on here.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Arnt fans allowed on here anymore. It will rather boring with only opposition people on here.
well for a mere fan your mail has been very reliable in the past. almost as though you were a source from within the club :lol:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I've got plenty of time for Charlie.

However, if he was going to be dropped, why not pick Allen?

More baffling coaching from a bloke who, as it stands, doesn't know how to coach a senior AFL side.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I've got plenty of time for Charlie.

More baffling coaching from a bloke who, as it stands, doesn't know how to coach a senior AFL side.
Because his last 2 weeks in a lower grade havent been as good as Ferg who will probably play as a lead up forward better anyway.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Arnt fans allowed on here anymore. It will rather boring with only opposition people on here.
well for a mere fan your mail has been very reliable in the past. almost as though you were a source from within the club :lol:
if you throw enough s*** some will stick....

nah plugger66 has always been honest enough to admit he knows as much as the rest of us.

On charlie, I struggle with the idea that our medium forwards refuse to kick goals when they have the chance....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Because his last 2 weeks in a lower grade havent been as good as Ferg who will probably play as a lead up forward better anyway.
Ferg has had enough chances since he was drafted to prove himself with us.

If Gardiner is dropped, why not pick Jarryd Allen?

:idea:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Allen doesnt really play as a lead up forward. Ferg hasnt done that in the seniors yet. His form in that position was good so he may be given the chance. Allen should have been picked when in form but G came back. No good picking him when he hasnt done well for 4 weeks.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:No good picking him when he hasnt done well for 4 weeks.
Gehrig hasn't done well in four years, but still got a run at the drop of a hat.

Allen should have been picked.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Allen doesnt really play as a lead up forward. Ferg hasnt done that in the seniors yet. His form in that position was good so he may be given the chance. Allen should have been picked when in form but G came back. No good picking him when he hasnt done well for 4 weeks.
agreed

fergusson has been playing very well in the past month as a medium forward. Allen is larger and in less form...

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:If Gardiner is dropped, why not pick Jarryd Allen? :idea:
i guess they've gone on form rather than potential but ferg would want to produce or allen will have his spot before long.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Gehrig hasn't done well in four years, but still got a run at the drop of a hat.

One question. how many times have you seen him play this year.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Ferg better produce.

He's had more than half a decade to prove himself and fails every time.

I hope to god he can play as a lead-up forward, but I'm losing faith in the eternal optimists that converge on Saintsational.
plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

One question. how many times have you seen him play this year.
Three times. Great question, plugger66.

Fraser9

I think Gardiner deserves a spot in the team. Especially when there is guys like Dempster getting a game. Had an apalling game last week, seemed to forget Didak was a left footer and let him run round to kick a crucial goal.

yipper
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:
WTF??? I've been watching the wrong bloke then!! Coulda swore he's been the mainstay of our F50 zone up until last year..

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
WTF??? I've been watching the wrong bloke then!! Coulda swore he's been the mainstay of our F50 zone up until last year..
Riiiight...

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

what riiight everton? he has been.... What have you been watching.. he has been vital in previous years without him we never seemed so potent... four years has it been... yer coz he has only produced in 2004 has he?

To the top
SS Life Member

Yes, Ferguson kicked 7 goals against a team which had not kicked a goal to half time.

In testing conditions last Saturday at Casey, Ferguson was not sighted in the forward line but did get a couple of touches in defence.

Allen found the conditions trying, but did put himself into the contest - and with McEvoy were the dominant forwards - not a bad effort for taller guys in those conditions, conditions made for defenders.

Stevens put himself in the right places, did not get a lot of it but did put defensive pressure on.

And Howard was the best of the defenders.

Jones had an impact from the mid-field.

And that was it.

Gwilt got some touches but looked slow.

Summary - the games of McEvoy and Allen left Ferguson well behind, so the selections this week (from Casey) are puzzling.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:

Summary - the games of McEvoy and Allen left Ferguson well behind, so the selections this week (from Casey) are puzzling.
One is a ruckman

One a key forward

The third a flanker

No ruckmen were dropped....and there is 2 in the seniors.

A key forward went out....but Roo came in....

Two flankers are omitted....so two spots emerge....

Choices

Play three ruckmen plus Kosi? Sounds cumbersome to me.

Play an extra mid...a possibility.

Swap two flankers for two flankers?

Play 3 tall forewards...and hope that the opposition do not create too much rebound. Yes is an option.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
To the top
SS Life Member

The "talk" is of Ferguson as a leading (or lead up, take your pick) forward.

Plus, he kicked his 7 goals playing at Full Forward.

Just making the point that, if you are saying Ferguson should be picked as a leading (lead up) and therefore marking forward there are better options on disclosed form LAST week at Casey.

It seems Ferguson's strength is his marking, but at 187cm he has the build of a mid-fielder in today's game - which is why he has been played as a flanker in defence at VFL level and has not played as a key forward, which he was in junior football.

He had to develop from a good mark for his size to a versatile player who could also take a good mark for his size.

In other words, become a genuine flanker (forward or back) which he has not become.

It has not been injury which has restricted him to just 10 games in 4 or 5 years, it has been development - or more correctly, the lack of development.

I can recall him playing CHB v. Geelong at Geelong (when S. Fisher played full back, and we went very close to winning) and he did an admirable job for his size.

The operative words, in my view at least, are "for his size" (and he did take one decent grab against Adelaide in a SF in Adelaide).

He just ain't big enough to present his abilities in their best light at AFL level.

Die Hard
Club Player

Solar wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
if you throw enough s*** some will stick....

nah plugger66 has always been honest enough to admit he knows as much as the rest of us.

On charlie, I struggle with the idea that our medium forwards refuse to kick goals when they have the chance....
Agree.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The "talk" is of Ferguson as a leading (or lead up, take your pick) forward.

Plus, he kicked his 7 goals playing at Full Forward.

Just making the point that, if you are saying Ferguson should be picked as a leading (lead up) and therefore marking forward there are better options on disclosed form LAST week at Casey.

It seems Ferguson's strength is his marking, but at 187cm he has the build of a mid-fielder in today's game - which is why he has been played as a flanker in defence at VFL level and has not played as a key forward, which he was in junior football.

He had to develop from a good mark for his size to a versatile player who could also take a good mark for his size.

In other words, become a genuine flanker (forward or back) which he has not become.

It has not been injury which has restricted him to just 10 games in 4 or 5 years, it has been development - or more correctly, the lack of development.

I can recall him playing CHB v. Geelong at Geelong (when S. Fisher played full back, and we went very close to winning) and he did an admirable job for his size.

The operative words, in my view at least, are "for his size" (and he did take one decent grab against Adelaide in a SF in Adelaide).

He just ain't big enough to present his abilities in their best light at AFL level.
Stop making sense.

Nobody doubt Ferg has something going for him, but he is a KPP in a midfielder's body.

He could kick 100 in the VFL, but certain blokes will *always* dominate that level and not step up.

Where did this lead-up talk come from anyway? And who says he can do it better than Gardiner (who hasn't been at the club for five years)?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:Just making the point that, if you are saying Ferguson should be picked as a leading (lead up) and therefore marking forward there are better options on disclosed form LAST week at Casey.
Ferguson was excellent last week at Casey. He was used all over the ground plugging holes for the Scorps up forward, down back - wherever they needed him. He reminds me a lot of Robert Murphy in terms of his size and the way he plays. If he's only half as good as Murph, he'll be a massive step up from Charlie, who doesn't like pressure situations and disappears for long stretches.

Ferg did an admirable job for a guy with very little experience. In those games he played with Sam Fisher, it was Ferg who was the more impressive player. Good athleticism, strong overhead, good footskills. I don't buy that he's too small for the position either. He's not that much smaller than Hudghton, Sam Fisher, Maguire or Blake. Around the league, there are plenty of guys who have played key posts at his size or under, most notably Campbell Brown, who's played on Riewoldt, Pavlich etc. at all of 177cm.

Yeah nah pleasing positive