Sack Drain

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Huzzad
Club Player

In the words of Homer Simpson

"You're all cut!"

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MSG...in the context of this string.....it was put in the past that the Saint's had a high soft tissue (including hamstrings) injury rate.

It has been thought that while soft tissue injuries cannot fully be eliminated that the rate that they had occurred over many years was too high.

It was also argued that with appropriate conditioning of the players that this rate could be reduced...now that is not 100% elimated as some will always occur.

From what I have seen this year the rate of soft tissue injuries has been reduced.

Now with impact related injuries I do not think I have heard that player conditioning can elimaniate them.

Someone hrling you to the ground (ie Roo) can always cause damage...as can what happened to Baker.

I would also have faith that once Misson has been at the club for an extended period that our soft tissue injury rate will look even better.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sack Drain

rodgerfox wrote:With all the heat being on Ross Lyon, I'd like to pose the question....

What about his boss?

In the world of 'modern footy departments', it seems to me that it's simply a way for no one to be accountable anymore.

We have injuries as bad as ever.

We've recruited rejects.

Our game plan is hideous.

There's alot of heat on Lyon, but what about the boss? What about the guy that runs the whole show?

What is Drain actually doing about the following....

Injuries?
Fade outs - fitness?
The coaches inability to get the players to listen to him?
Our recruiting of discards?

Apparaently in this modern, cutting edge world of Footy Managers and so on, the coach is there to coach. Not worry about the other stuff.

Although the coaching is clearly an issue, 'the other stuff' is a big issue.

In the opinion of the SS faithful, what has Drain brough to the table?

2 years on, has the brilliance of Rod Butterss and his 'modern footy dept' had any impact on the club in a positive sense?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Rome wasn't built in a day.

With a new board and football department, the right structures and foundations are in place and I'd venture to say the right people, the club is on track, things will turn, we do need to start playing kids and most definitely recruiting well, to make sure we move forward and not stagnate after the football club messed up it's recruiting for five years, up until last year, which most definitely was the best draft we've had in a very long time, sometimes you need to take a step back before you move forward and remember the first step back was finishing 8th in 2006 so that step had already been set in motion before the new board, new coach, new football department manifested themselves, from the previous, shoddily erected artifice.

Anyone jumping at shadows would belong to the laterally challenged, a one dimensional, linear based clan, a gaggle of goggle eyed gumps, gimps and goofballs and you being your regular isaac about town dodgy, you no doubt have figured that out already, or perhaps not, but hey when there are wrestless natives, numbnuts, nuffies and knuckledraggers out there, you'll be on the frontline, marshalling the fruit loops, playing skip chasey with the inflatable and pearing out from beyond your foxhole, trying to give the hounds all another bum steer, while you partake in another blowhard Marylin moment, you know which way the wind blows, know a song about that, "IDIOT WIND", feel free to change the title of the thread, it's Dylan's/Zimmerman's, not mine anyway.

p.s. sack john barker

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

RH35 wrote:Seriously though, injury management has clearly improved drastically, and exceptionally quickly so he is worth his cash for that alone. Our so called 'fade outs' have generally come in the second quarter so would likely have more to do with a lack of talent across the 22 (we had over a third of the team made up of rejects Friday after all) than fitness. Hell, we ran over the top of the Pies, fittest team in the league apparently, and just blew chances. Unfortunately, the recruiting of rejects goes hand in hand with the lack of player development that went on with the previous administration, as well as some awful trading decisions. If we had a plethora of young guys coming through I'm sure we wouldn't have required Gardiner, Dempster etc. But Springvale/Casey have been awful for many years now and St.Kilda players have barely featured in the best. The combination of better development and injury management have combined to see a vastly improved seconds this year, with many Saints guys pushing for senior selection. Of course, all this would be moot if Watts, Brooks and R Clarke were, say, Birchall, Sewell and and McGlynn. To get nothing out of 3 first rounds is a club killer and we are paying the price. RL and Drain have had to start from well back in the pack. In spite of this, we outplayed the Pies in most areas, are 4-4 and the sky is still up by the looks of it so maybe take a bex and a lie down.
Absloute gold, 100% on the money and obviously someone with a fair dinkum clue, inparticular the bit about dodgy taking a bex and having a lie down 8-)

jill
Club Player

Most of the new staff have come on board in late 2007-early 2008 - GIVE THEM AT LEAST A YEAR!!!!! or 2!!!!!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

So, can anyone answer the questions?

Does anyone even want to try?

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I thought I had quite succintly, dodgy

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:I thought I had quite succintly, dodgy
What does Drain do?

What does he bring to the table?

What is he accountable for?

Only one poster has attempted to answer these.

RH35
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
What does Drain do?

Have a peak at this champ: http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/u ... 57558.html

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

RH35 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
What does Drain do?

Have a peak at this champ: http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/u ... 57558.html
It actually doesn't answer anything - just more questions!!

Matthew's 'Footy Manager' is his 2IC.

Doesn't that mean that Matthews runs the show?

The best and most successful coach in the AFL runs the show.

He's the boss.

Isn't that what we tried to get away from? Isn't that opposed to the 'modern footy depts'?

Now I'm even more confused.

What does Drain do? Does he overrule Lyon? Is he Lyon's boss? Is Lyon his boss?

Who signs off on recruitment? Who overrules who? Who does the fitness team report to?

Based on that article, it depends on the club.

So, at our club, what the f*** does everyone do?

Who is accountable?

Who makes the final decisions?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Now there is something that we can all agree on.....

JeffDunne

It is interesting that the people constantly praising our new structure can't actually describe what that structure is! :shock:

Talk about blind faith. :lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:It is interesting that the people constantly praising our new structure can't actually describe what that structure is! :shock:

Talk about blind faith. :lol:
Why????

Many organistaions now embrace Matrix Management.

That we do not know the exact ins and outs of who does what at the club is not important.

I assume that the FF Board and CEO do..and I put my trust in that.

Should I as a supporter have access to the job descriptions of Drain, RL and Elshauag etc??????? As a member no. But yes I would be very curious to have read.

From what has been released one can make a pretty fair guess.

The Big Issue is that we have now expanded our Football Mangement team ....and that the Head Coaches time has been freed up to coach and not be wasted on player contracts etc.

The Big Issue is that we are now spreading the load and are enhacing the resources at the club.

This whole thread is a veiled we were better off under the demi-god GT ......

The Club was CORRECT to appoint a football manager.

GT was WRONG to refuse and resist such an appointment.

The first person put in in Sheldon did not work out and so the Club went out and secured who they wanted to have two years prior.

This is a FORWARD step.

The previous one man knows all model was holding us back.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 23 May 2008 12:07pm, edited 2 times in total.

JeffDunne

"Matrix Management"?

lol

I think what you mean is everyone answers to Archie and decisions are made by committee.

Sounds a great way to avoid accountability to me and something straight out of a government handbook. If no one person is responsible for a decision then no one person is accountable for it.

Anyhow, you may as well say you have no idea but have blind faith because we’ve changed and we’re spending more money and it doesn’t involve Grant Thomas. Clealry you are speculating.

I’m yet to see any concrete evidence of the supposed “one man does allâ€
Last edited by JeffDunne on Fri 23 May 2008 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: This whole thread is a veiled we were better off under the demi-god GT ......
It's sad that you see everything that way.

GT is gone. Move on.

I must say I'm also surprised that you don't have a clue about the 'modern footy dept' we have, yet so blindly think it's such a wonderful thing.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: This whole thread is a veiled we were better off under the demi-god GT ......
It's sad that you see everything that way.

GT is gone. Move on.

I must say I'm also surprised that you don't have a clue about the 'modern footy dept' we have, yet so blindly think it's such a wonderful thing.
No..I have a clue..I am just ignoring your baiting....

If you are clueless......then that is your problem

GT is gone as Football Manager...Drain is in... Move on Rodger accept that Drain has the job.....

GT is a commentator now...some of his pearls this year have included:

On Raph: Is a potential All Australian...

On Banger: That he saw the signs last year.....(of his decline..)

RH35
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
RH35 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
What does Drain do?

It actually doesn't answer anything - just more questions!!

Matthew's 'Footy Manager' is his 2IC.

Doesn't that mean that Matthews runs the show?

The best and most successful coach in the AFL runs the show.

He's the boss.

Isn't that what we tried to get away from? Isn't that opposed to the 'modern footy depts'?

What does Drain do? Does he overrule Lyon? Is he Lyon's boss? Is Lyon his boss?

Who signs off on recruitment? Who overrules who? Who does the fitness team report to?

Based on that article, it depends on the club.

So, at our club, what the f*** does everyone do?

Who is accountable?

Who makes the final decisions?
Well I guess without a full job description from the club you're not going to be at all happy. Maybe request one from 1300 734 134. Clearly, the new board have stated that investment would be concentrated at player development, fitness/medical expertise and taking responsibilities away from the coach to provide a clear separation of duties (something Geelong did with Thompson last year and Bulldogs with Eade this year). As stated in previous post and generally agreed on, the fruit of this emphasis is already becoming clear in the very short time the new staff have been charged with relevant responsibilities. Maybe just enjoy the sight of Luke Ball running freely, Max enjoying his last couple of years and having 12 Saints players at Casey every week to enable forumites to demand they immediately be placed in the seniors at all cost. Things aren't so terrible. We have been a competitive team for 6 years running now, it's a good era relative to our history. Enjoy.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think we should sack the CEO too..

I mean who here has seen his Job Description??????

I mean one can guess.....but as that is not good enough..

Evidently this is a sacking offence..........

Sack him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Board Members?????

Do we know what each and every one is doing EXACTLY?? = No.

SACK the lot of them...they should resign immediately...........

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sack Westaway..my post on this seems to have disappeared..must be a very touchy subject

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I think we should sack the CEO too..

I mean who here has seen his Job Description??????

I mean one can guess.....but as that is not good enough..

Evidently this is a sacking offence..........

Sack him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Board Members?????

Do we know what each and every one is doing EXACTLY?? = No.

SACK the lot of them...they should resign immediately...........

If you have no clue SrR, just say so. Your attempts at deflection are a bit embarrassing, unamusing and are making you look silly.

I just thought that someone like yourself who seems to be so excited about our 'modern footy dept' and so excited about Matthew Drain, may be able to shed some light on what he does, what he brings to the table, what he is accountable for and what a 'modern footy dept' actually means.

It just seems strange that you have so much blind faith.

But if you have no clue, that's Ok. Just say so.

Also, who is asking for anyone to be sacked??

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Sack Westaway..my post on this seems to have disappeared..must be a very touchy subject
Speaking of W's..

Sack Wodger......

and welease the wabbits too.....................

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

RH35 wrote:

Well I guess without a full job description from the club you're not going to be at all happy. Maybe request one from 1300 734 134. Clearly, the new board have stated that investment would be concentrated at player development, fitness/medical expertise and taking responsibilities away from the coach to provide a clear separation of duties (something Geelong did with Thompson last year and Bulldogs with Eade this year). As stated in previous post and generally agreed on, the fruit of this emphasis is already becoming clear in the very short time the new staff have been charged with relevant responsibilities. Maybe just enjoy the sight of Luke Ball running freely, Max enjoying his last couple of years and having 12 Saints players at Casey every week to enable forumites to demand they immediately be placed in the seniors at all cost. Things aren't so terrible. We have been a competitive team for 6 years running now, it's a good era relative to our history. Enjoy.
Exactly.....

I don't why some others find it so hard to understand that you can split management accountabilities and responisibilities between anumber of managers..

The coach is accountable and responsible for how the team plays, selections decisions etc...

The conditioning manager is accountable and responisible for the fitness and injury mangement of the players. Obviously the coach needs to integrate his skills and strategic traing with wath the Conditioning Manger requires.

The football manager looks after all the day to day matters of the football department from players contracts, travel arrangements, tribunal appearances , sourcing venues etc etc

I mean we are playing the Lions this week...ND have players incntract negotiations.

Lyon is free to prepare for the game...and rain is free to negotiate with the various player mangers in sequence...

erc etc...

It really is not that hard to understand.

We have a resource in the players....and different managers are now charged with optimising different aspects of their management. The angers need to work with each other on some aspect but not all, and dependin on which aspect it is a different manger has the final say.

Importantly the Head Coach has more time to act as a head coach.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SR why do you bother?

I mean flogs like Dodg/Jeff arent even serious in their dribble...have a read of the thread title......"Sack Drain"...I mean dont even waste your time pal cause this feeds these fools egos....they actually think these threads are "thought provoking" when they are merely "todger stroking"

Let the girls play.... :lol: and move on to some GENUINE discussion on footy.

“Yeah….nah””