Ben McEvoy selection dilemma?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

question is when we drafted McEvoy what were our intentions to do with him ? alot has been said about Ruckmen taking time to fit the mould ant factoring in the age and longevity in the Gardi King combo does RL eventually envisage a Kosi McEvoy ruck duo one gardi and king go ? if so then getting forward time in Mcevoyto play in G-trains spot while kosi rucks (if one of either King or Gardi miss selection) would be benifical but if the gardi King combo is in then kosi should be moved forwad and Allen takes G-trains spot thats how i would set it up ..... but then again im no expert

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Saints94
SS Life Member

He is a great mark and great kick hope he gets a shot

at senior selection

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:just a small qualification to my comments. if both gardi and king are available we have to play them. we recruited them to play games in the here and now.

i was just suggesting that as opportunities come up if one of them gets a short term injury then Ben should come in for the odd game here and there and play 50 minutes or so.

I think Rixy should be back-up in case we have a serious long-term injury to withe Gardi or King.

But no doubt that if gardi and king are avaliable they should be playing tihs year.
agree..

Ben should now be preferred to Rix.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:question is when we drafted McEvoy what were our intentions to do with him ? alot has been said about Ruckmen taking time to fit the mould ant factoring in the age and longevity in the Gardi King combo does RL eventually envisage a Kosi McEvoy ruck duo one gardi and king go ?

That could be reasonable with Ben being the No 1...and Kosi spelling him.

Kosi to be No 2 at the bounces unless something dramtic happens with his ruckwork.

I think the intent when they took Ben was that 2008 would be mainly Casey, 2009 would be moresenior games but nota regular, 2010 and beyond that Ben would be pushing for a regular spot.

Exactly where would depend of the form of players on our list at that time.

We need Ben to becme our future ruckman... and games at Casey right now where he can play good stints in the ruck will do more for his development as a ruckmen than resting in a FP or sitting on the pine in the seniors.

All thgose games that Brooks played at FF...whay did that do for his deveopment asa ruckman???

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:I think it's an ideal time to play him.

Brisbane don't have a great 'tall' defense so he wouldn't get a good defender.

But, if he goes anywhere near the ruck Jamie Charman would beat the shiit out of him.

Not an ideal ruckman to debut against for a kid I wouldn't think.
While contemplating this with some friends, it was pointed out to me that for all the talk of 3 tall forwards being too much:

1 of the tall forwards we used isn't a forward at all.

Another has OP and busted hands.

So I don't really think the '3 talls' as such the issue - it's more who those talls are.

3 Jonathon Brown's would go alright I reckon.
Exactly.

Or 3 Roos....

BUT not 3 Kosis.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

While contemplating this with some friends, it was pointed out to me that for all the talk of 3 tall forwards being too much: ...
I can't speak for others, but my "talk" was of 3 tall forwards being too much when 2 of the three were slow and cumbersome (ie Kosi and GTrain).

If I had Buddy...would I say play Buddy, Roo and Kosi up forward = yes.
What I'm alluding to is similar to what you're saying - while much has been made of 3 talls being too many, I don't think the way the Saints have played it in '08 has actually done anything to prove that the concept can't work.

G in '08 has not been the Gehrig of the past. Could it work with Allen? Could it work with McEvoy? I don't really know enough about either's game to comment, but I do think that if the Saints are to play to their strengths, that means (when healthy) a tall, marking based game.

I do recall the game in '06, and have already commented on the danger of the Lions rebound. As it relates to McEvoy, the question would be where he could fit and who he'd match up on... whether Roo is back or not (I assume Allen would be next in). He's a first gamer, so isn't likely to cammand the respect of someone NOT trying to run off him, and the rebound is a definate consideration.

Basically, I can't see Lyon trying to stretch that backline for height, I suspect he'll try and curtail their run, so I don't see McEvoy as a likely in. The idea does have it's charm though.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:I do think that if the Saints are to play to their strengths, that means (when healthy) a tall, marking based game.
agree.

i actually was surprised allen didn't get a run. probably just ferg's good recent form that edged him out.

his chance will come soon enough and maybe we will see 3 divas ('ey plugger) ... just that one of them won't be fraser.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:I do think that if the Saints are to play to their strengths, that means (when healthy) a tall, marking based game.
agree.

i actually was surprised allen didn't get a run. probably just ferg's good recent form that edged him out.

his chance will come soon enough and maybe we will see 3 divas ('ey plugger) ... just that one of them won't be fraser.
The Lions backline finds it harder to hold small forwards than big forwards.

Magrath has the flu this week too...so he may be off his gamea bit..