No more leaks to SS???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The coach said he was aware of one player receiving "particularly scathing" criticism and he had approached the player and asked if he was aware of it.

"Thankfully, he said it didn't matter because he didn't read it, but bloody oath, it could affect the player," the coach said. "It's a serious issue, a major issue.
raph clarke?

... and for the record i am not and never have been carl ditterich, feared st kilda ruckman of the 1960s and 1970s.

he was merely my hero as a child.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 21 May 2008 11:49am, edited 1 time in total.

The Peanut
Club Player

... and for the record I am not any of the peanuts we have had playing for us in the past. :wink:

killa_gram
Club Player

The Peanut wrote:... and for the record I am not any of the peanuts we have had playing for us in the past. :wink:
Hmmmm not so sure of that........... :wink:

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Umm Dan I always thought you were George W Bush you have him in your profile so just assumed you were him just in incognito

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:Umm Dan I always thought you were George W Bush you have him in your profile so just assumed you were him just in incognito
I've never been to cognito and I never will

Im a god fearing republican in gods greatest country, and we should send all those indians back to where they come from.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:why?
Websites are subjected to the same laws as newspapers.

I do agree to extent in what you're saying, but if what is posted is as bad as being painted in that article then clubs could have sites shut down in minutes.
Scour the daily posts and there are any number of posts that include name calling towards player, coaching staff, club officials and other posters.

The legal ramifications of name calling is weak at present but expect this to tighten up with more and more focus being placed on cyber bullying. It will become a very big issue over the next few years and also expect the AFL to put some policy in place also being the community leaders they are.

Websites are subject to the same laws as newspapers however with newspapers they are bigger (more financial) targets and as such avoid engaging in the indirect character assassination of players and coaches with such tactics as name calling. If a newspaper was to target a player such as Raph Clarke the way Saintsaitional does they would be pursued by the club in a legal way. Why don’t they come after Saintsaitional? Maybe they will one day.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I would say upwards of a 100 IDs got banned over the hawthorn injunctions issue at BF, and the AFL and the Hawthorn were throwing phone calls and legal notices to websites like greased lightening.

I think the BF would have all mods on alert for that stuff.

Hawk headquarters shut down over this issue.

similarly till the 'evidence' re: cousins and kerr's telephone recordings was publicly released and not the subject of court injunctions, folks were getting banned and letters written around the country.

you only have to see about 40 odd non registered readers are on the forum at any one time and a % of them are players, spies and journos looking for a tip off.

What we know and what we are allowed to discuss publicly are often mutually exclusive.

SHUT UP KRIME!
JeffDunne

Cairnsman, I agree with what you're saying but sites not being targeted is as much to do with clubs ignorance than the financial clout. Most sites would remove content just on the threat of litigation.

TBH, I’ve been disappointed with the club’s inactivity on some of the stuff I’ve read online about Milne. When Thomas was coach I thought the club should have acted then too – and not just against forums. If the club is fair dinkum about protecting it’s image (or “brandâ€

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

how funny...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
Hawk headquarters shut down over this issue.
I'm grasping at straws here at the moment, and I am sure someone grumpy will correct me, but wasn't a current member of our site here responsible for that Hawk Headquarters debacle?

Or am I at the wrong entrance to the Cranny Race Track carpark?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:however with newspapers they are bigger (more financial) targets
that's the issue, i think. no point in suing saintsational as there's nothing to sue.

i think you are correct that this will become more of an issue over the next few years.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

How typical of the afl - ban players from blogging sites? Doesn't that show respect for the players - are we in china?
How about politicians? Might hurt their egos too -look at some of the blogs on Ms Fits site - referring to 'glassing' a particular poltician and referred to him as a c...!
Really AFL players earn a lot of money, part of the reason why is the huge media interest in the game - and blogging is part of that.
Lets just ban free speech shall we?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:however with newspapers they are bigger (more financial) targets
that's the issue, i think. no point in suing saintsational as there's nothing to sue.

i think you are correct that this will become more of an issue over the next few years.
I hope that SS is one of the more progressive sites and leads the way with stamping out bullying. I think the site already does a good job. It certainly has improved over the last couple of years.

What would posters think about making their identity public? Do you think this would help stop people bullying?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

[size=150]big[/size]carl wrote:

... and for the record i am not and never have been carl ditterich, feared st kilda ruckman of the 1960s and 1970s.

he was merely my hero as a child.
I will stopping calling you "Horse" then.... :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:What would posters think about making their identity public?
wouldn't bother me, so long as everyone else did it

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Well in that case I better clarify that I am not a Cat and I am not also Fat but I am from Aus

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:Well in that case I better clarify that I am not a Cat and I am not also Fat but I am from Aus
Ah...but are you a well paid Austrlaian Public Servant???? :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:The problem with the internet and forums like this is that people write things that they might not otherwise say in person. It gives them a false sense of security because there is not a threat of physical or violent retaliation because they are anonymous.

The anonymous part of the internet but more specifically forums like this is the problem. However as we know it is possible for you to be traced and I believe that one day people will start seeking retribution and then things will change for ever.

I for one would not have a problem with being a poster with a known identity. Why, because I always try to conduct myself on the internet like I do as real person in life.

i know pple in government who can track a blogger down in less than the time it has taken me to read this thread......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:Well in that case I better clarify that I am not a Cat and I am not also Fat but I am from Aus
and i am not the fonz from the show happy days :lol:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:What would posters think about making their identity public?
wouldn't bother me, so long as everyone else did it
Bigcarl is in, any other takers?

I might be wrong but I reckon there would be more posters on SS willing to go public than those that weren't.

For what it's worth I think that it will become law somewhere down the track anyway. Internet filtering by the government is already coming.

The youngones one here will be in 10 years saying rememeber when you could get on a forum and give heaps of cheek.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

a fair few of the folks have met me, and see past my cunning name disguise

SHUT UP KRIME!
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I am not connected to SEN at all.

However, I would be loath to have my name public as I know many people in high and low places who would lop my head off as quick as stinger's contacts have logged my details!!

:lol:

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Ah...but are you a well paid Austrlaian Public Servant???? :wink:

Dunno about the well paid part, but yes I am a public servant.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

You've got to love the AFLPA. Instead of trying to get the players a better share of the hundreds of millions of dollars in the game, Gale and co. are much more interested in nothing player welfatre issues like this one. Luke Ball has a blog, and he's on the AFLPA executive. I doubt Ball, or any other player for that matter, is unaware of any of the ciriticisms levelled at them. If a player suffers from depression, it's far more likely to be a result of their own disappointment than as a result of an emotional rant by a Saintsational random.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Well, in my short period on this forum, I haven't noticed too much players probably wouldn't have heard or read before. I've no doubt some of it can be touchy, but these guy are professionals, aren't they. Best way to respond to critisism is show the critics they're wrong.

The Genuine degruch