Make up your minds!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

SENsaintsational wrote:I disagree to an extent. I believe that there is no player who doesn't give their 110% when they pull on the guernsey. Not one.

But it is the level of their 110% against the opposition's level that is the issue.

Is their individual 110% enough? Or are they simply not good enough?
If they're giving 110% week in week out we're in more trouble than i thought. You don't think mentally eg confidence affects the intensity of effort even slightly?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

110%?

Lets get real you cannot give more than 100%, because that is all there is to give.

If the players perform to their capabilities we cannot ask for more.

110% does not exist, never has and never will.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Make up your minds!

rodgerfox wrote:I agree with what your saying, but in the context of alot of the criticisms and concerns - pick 43 and two spots on our list is actually a pretty hefty price.
Hefty? For 2 best 22 players? Nope, not even close. Hefty is pick 17 for Fergus Watts ...

congorozides
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
peter lockwood wrote:I seem to remember that during the trade week when we got both Schneids @ Dempster for pick 26,people here were saying we bent Sydney over and later in the week with King and Gardiner for pick 90+ some were doing cartwheels.Year before MG and Birss for the 1 pick woopee!!Im happy enough with our picks to a certain extent.
:
I was happy then...and am still happy now.

The real trade was Schneider for 26. Now Schneider has been out of sorts the last 2 games post injury. But I would be confident he will find form again.

When he was taken I think the consensus was that he was no star...but wasa player type that we were short of and so should bea good aquistion and well worth pick 26.

King for 90...was a freebie...and I was very pleased to get him then and now.

With Dempster and Charlie...I am pretty sure the consensus back them was a bit of uncertainty...but hopefully they might be good depth players....but that if they never playeda game it did not matter as they were basically freebies.

So far they have been depth players....so that to me actually puts us in front.

Birrs and Gardi

Well they only cost pick 43.

I think the consensus with Birrs was probably a lot of sceptism as he was largely unknown and seemed to have been in and out with the Dogsa lot with injury and variable frm

With Gardi it was mixed...that if even if he was not as good as he used to be that it would stil bea step up in the ruck for us as long as he actuallu got to play!!!!!

In 2007 however it was looking like pick 43 wasa waste for the two of them.
In 2008 it is mnow looking to bea real baragain. Gardi has shown that he can still play very well, but yes still has some injury problems. However he looks o the verge of some very good form. With Birrs things have looked up too. He is no star by any means...but as shown himself to bea useful player and asa run with tagger neagtes while winning equal ball to his opponent. Importnatly ina team that lacks mids that can kick goals Birrs has proven to bea reliable shot on goal.

So all in all I think pick 26 and 43 have proven to have een good value...even if Dempse and Charlie never play any more games (but I think they will).
too much justifying rubbish and arguing over small beer. there are no shortcuts to premiership.s you have to get young players and develop them yourselves.

see cats, hawks, power, lions, eagles.

these clubs almost never recruit from other clubs to top up. travis johnston and david rodan are the only examples i can think of and that was AFTER they had won premierships. you dont top up BEFORE you have even won one!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:I agree with what your saying, but in the context of alot of the criticisms and concerns - pick 43 and two spots on our list is actually a pretty hefty price.
Hefty? For 2 best 22 players? Nope, not even close. Hefty is pick 17 for Fergus Watts ...
If Watts didn't cop a career ending leg injury, he would most likely be a very handy first 22 player.

But that is besides the point, I'm not comparing. Simply saying that many Saints fans think we should be rebuilding and playing kids, and not neglecting drafting youth. If that is the case, then pick 43 is very valuable.

Considering in the past, players such as Lindsay Gilbee taken with that number.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:

these clubs almost never recruit from other clubs to top up. travis johnston and david rodan are the only examples i can think of and that was AFTER they had won premierships. you dont top up BEFORE you have even won one!
Ottens, Mooney, Pickett, Mahoney, Pike, Michael, Ashcroft, Stenglein, Armstrong, Chick....

There are plenty more.

If we add the Swans, there are even more again.

Topping up is fine.

Let's be frank, you need luck to win a flag. You need to get a good core. To get that core, you either need to be an interstate club and have a larger salary cap, or score big with the Father-Son rule, or bottom our and fluke a good draft or two.

Then you need to keep them.

Then you simply build around them with kids from the draft, and top ups. And then, you need to keep them all on the park and fit.

Then on top of that, you need to hope that when you're peaking, there doesn't happen to be a freak team out there that peaks at the same time (ie. Collingwood and Brisbane).

If you do, you're a chance. If you don't, you're not.

There's plenty that you can control, but in AFL footy the fact are, there is more out of your control than there is in it these days.

congorozides
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
congorozides wrote:

Ottens, Mooney, Pickett, Mahoney, Pike, Michael, Ashcroft, Stenglein, Armstrong, Chick....

There are plenty more.

If we add the Swans, there are even more again.

Topping up is fine.

Let's be frank, you need luck to win a flag. You need to get a good core. To get that core, you either need to be an interstate club and have a larger salary cap, or score big with the Father-Son rule, or bottom our and fluke a good draft or two.

Then you need to keep them.

Then you simply build around them with kids from the draft, and top ups. And then, you need to keep them all on the park and fit.

Then on top of that, you need to hope that when you're peaking, there doesn't happen to be a freak team out there that peaks at the same time (ie. Collingwood and Brisbane).

If you do, you're a chance. If you don't, you're not.

There's plenty that you can control, but in AFL footy the fact are, there is more out of your control than there is in it these days.
ashcroft? he was an original bad news bear!

congorozides
Club Player

i take the points here. topping up is not the issue - it is WHO u top up with!

A good player is a good player. A Lawrence Bingham is well... you get the picture...