what is the WORST game you have ever attended

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bozza1980
Club Player

- 2004 Qualifying Final at the Gabba: Had our pants pulled down by 80 Points
- 1998 Semi Final v Melbourne at the G: Honestly thought we had a chance but got smashed, Hall lost the plot and Lappin played probably his best game for the club in his last game
- 2005 Prelim: Need I say anymore
- 2007 Rd 22 Collingwood v Adelaide: Went and barracked for Collingwood as a Pies win would leave the finals door open for us and the filth lost!!!
- 2002 at the Cattery we got smashed by 20 Goals
- 2000 v the Bullies at the Dome, up by 30 odd during the 3rd Qtr and got overrun by a point, it was enough to drive Maxy to tears and I almost joined him.....

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:Agree with all those finals losses mentioned. Especially '71 and '97.

In an obvious, different way, though, the worst I ever saw was in 1978 (?) v Collingwood at Victoria Park. We lost by something like 31 goals to 3. The worst thing was that I arrived late by train 10 minutes into the first quarter, and we'd already kicked our first two goals.

But, strangely, I've enjoyed other games even less.
Was 1979, because Id just moved to Melbourne...we lost 31.21.211 to 3.11. 29. The scoreline still burns. Was Peter Daicos' first game IIRC...my first trip to Vic Park

Was all the more painful because only a couple of weeks before we'd knocked off the reigning premier Hawthorn at Moorabbin in Round 1. All looked rosy cos we'd only missed the finals by 1/2 a game in 78.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
starsign
Club Player

Ah yes Enrico '71 & 97 go without saying.
Talk about history repeating itself
Jeans "71 had a reputation of being ultra defensive, and always stacked the backline in the final quarter when we were in front, except THAT DAY and Keddie on the HFF hadn't been sighted all day kicked a bag to knock us off.
Oh and there was one other time at Moorabbin when the Pies moved all their forwards up to the wing and left Carmen one out in the whole forward area, on Lawrence for memory He kicked about a dozen and George Young 8 or 10 for us but the damage was done at the other end!
If we had a forum like this then one could imagine the Jeans bashing!
Could't believe bloody Jarman repeating the 71 debarcle in 97

but forgive an old fart his indulgence , and I got a bit long winded in the converse thread, and I have mentioned this game before too....
But there was a game down at the junction oval when I was a kid that sticks in the gut

we had this gun FF Big Bill Stephenson who came from Gippsland with Alan Morrow and he was a great mark, one grab with hands as big as dinner plates.
He'd been burning this particular season and was the great white hope to bring us our 1st flag!
Well this particular game, against i dunno who, he had 10 straight on the board just before half time , went up for another grab and came down buggering his knee. Limped off and that was it,all over red rover! Did a cartlidge but in those days that was it ! Don't think he ever played again. We were all shattered! Prick of a game!

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Lol, avid & saints66au. Didn't wish to put that horrific game down in print. I went with a Collingwood supporter. I still remember someone yelling out that his grandmother could play better than St Kilda & she was dead! :? :oops:

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

There was a game against Hawthorn last year (cant remember the round) at the 'G. I almost left at half time to go to the Melbourne Storm game over the road, wish I had, it was the most disgraceful and pathetic effort I have ever seen from 2 teams so defensive and ridled with errors.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Shaggy
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
avid wrote:Agree with all those finals losses mentioned. Especially '71 and '97.

In an obvious, different way, though, the worst I ever saw was in 1978 (?) v Collingwood at Victoria Park. We lost by something like 31 goals to 3. The worst thing was that I arrived late by train 10 minutes into the first quarter, and we'd already kicked our first two goals.

Was 1979, because Id just moved to Melbourne...we lost 31.21.211 to 3.11. 29. The scoreline still burns. Was Peter Daicos' first game IIRC...my first trip to Vic Park

Was all the more painful because only a couple of weeks before we'd knocked off the reigning premier Hawthorn at Moorabbin in Round 1. All looked rosy cos we'd only missed the finals by 1/2 a game in 78.
I saw a similar match against Carlton mid eighties. It was round 2, we were playing at home and although we had been smashed the week before you still have hopes for the year.

We kicked our first goal in the third quarter and only kicked 2 for the game. Carlton won by about 150 points. I felt so sorry for Joffa who was our only winner around the ground. He copped it all day from the Blues supporters as he had knocked back a substantial offer to join the Blues in the off season.

It was the worst match I ever saw even though the finals losses were much more devastating.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
saint66au wrote:

I saw a similar match against Carlton mid eighties. It was round 2, we were playing at home and although we had been smashed the week before you still have hopes for the year.

We kicked our first goal in the third quarter and only kicked 2 for the game. Carlton won by about 150 points. I felt so sorry for Joffa who was our only winner around the ground. He copped it all day from the Blues supporters as he had knocked back a substantial offer to join the Blues in the off season.

It was the worst match I ever saw even though the finals losses were much more devastating.
Oh yes I remmeber that...some 2-bit nobody for them kicked 10 or 12 that day too..

Also remember a game against them at Princes Park..80 or 81 i reckon..we didnt kick a goal til the last qtr..Carlton were 19 by then...then in the last quarter a HUGE thunderstorm hit the ground..I remember huddling under that old scorebaord in the outer trying in vain to not get drenched.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Would have been in the late eighties against Essendon at Moorabbin, not sure when exactly. Similar to SP08, I was somewhere around 5-7 years old and couldn't stop crying.

In recent memory, there have been quite a few bad ones, most often due to weight of expectation. The game against west coast where Goose broke his leg was one of the worst. I had left that one early, and was listening to the game on the radio where I made the comment that at least we didn't have any injuries. Within 2 minutes, Goose was being stretchered off.

bergsone
SS Life Member

65 ,71 ,97.andany time i went to collingwood

Gilbert=Legend

Last weeks...Nah, has to be 97 grand final and 04 prelim final against port. We travelled over, got on tv and still lost. However, the woirst game ever was when we were up by 10 gaols against hawthorn in 1999 and lost by a couple. This started the downfall

Best game was against adelaide in the qual fianl in 05. Travelled over again, watched us win then week to the hilton and parted with the players til 2 in the morning. Good times

RH35
Club Player

In round 7, 2006 against Geelong in front of a near full house at the Telstra Dome, Harvey broke the all-time games record for the St Kilda Football Club (set by Nathan Burke) with 324 games. To celebrate this, the Saints wore special guernseys with Harvey's sillouhetted image in the centre. Unfortunately, the Saints lost to Geelong, going down by 18 points.

This game absolutely stunk. Was the epitome of 2006 Thomas-ball. We either kicked it backwards or to their loose men all night. A terrible way to celebrate a legend.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Hurricane wrote:There was a game against Hawthorn last year (cant remember the round) at the 'G. I almost left at half time to go to the Melbourne Storm game over the road, wish I had, it was the most disgraceful and pathetic effort I have ever seen from 2 teams so defensive and ridled with errors.

BANG BANG
Winner!

worst game i have ever seen live.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

St kilda vs Port down here at 2 headed park boy did they own us here i use to hate going to these games coz i new how badly we played the ground.

Most games we'd be lucky to have 4 goals up to half time and this was Gt days when we played attacking footy.

Thankfully i have witnessed so many great games at the dome.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Was trying to remember when that game was as I was unfortunately there also as a 19 year old with my Filth fatherinlaw :roll:

Remember seeing Grant Thomas running around and not much else...

Felt totally humiliated as a Saint supporter and the worst part was having to endure the Collingwood Social Club afterwards... :oops:

Not a great memory and add that to the list :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
saints11
Club Player

i have another one now last night's game :x

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Life Long Saint wrote: St Kilda v Hawthorn 1999 Waverley. That was the game that told us that Tim Watson could not coach. 11 goals up 1/2 way through the second quarter. The Hawks kicked 10 goals straight in the third. No moves came from the box. Nice one, Tim.
Worst game ive ever been to, we showed up during the second quarter for some reason so it was all down hill from there.... and we also got stuck in the car park.