OFFICIAL TEAM (when known) discussion thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Wollongong_saint wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:But more importantly than a bag of goals, I want to see him at least put some hard yards from a defensive point of view.
All of the attention on forward pressure is really getting to me. Fraser Gehrig is a full forward, he kicks goals and that is something we desperately need. All of this "the game is changing, blah blah blah" that we hear in the media (and vomit out ourselves) is just talk, there is no reason we can't "change the game back with a style of football we all know can win games.
Well thats true. And still somewhat concerning he is by far and away still the best kick for goal we have.

Concerning your point, Id rather see some focus on defense in the foward line for a change, rather than the be and end all focus it is given south of the foward line. Both are of course important, but I feel we have a bit of a inbalance happening at the mo.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:recon we could see Kozi CHF and Roo go for a run
not convinced they will go again with
kozi and G alongside
Chips a chance on Richo
Chips a certainty. Kozi has to ruck so he will only play up forward for no more than 50% of time.

Wollongong_saint
Club Player

In my opinion this is the best team we have seen on a Thursday night all year. All that is missing is Steven King, although who knows who would make way for him? Kosi? Surely not.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

RL is changing the game plan this week for sure. @ taggers out none in. Expect more open footy.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Wollongong_saint wrote:If forward pressure is really so important in "the modern game" then why don't we just trade away all of our attacking players and play defenders in the forward line? That would make for exciting football.
Well thats just being silly now aint it? Like I said, its a matter of balance and we are not balanced at the moment.

Bottom line, we gotta get it down there quick and try and isolate him. That seems to be THE problem.

Huzzad
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:how did Blake get dropped instead of Goose. Didn't Blake play quite OK last week, whilst Goose has shown NOTHING this year so far...

How did a horribly out of form Gtrain get in? Does he think
we can monster Richmond like previous years??

FFS Lyon, what message does that send out to the team?

Reputation, reputation, reputation (sorry from 2 years ago FFS!)

FFS wake up Lyon!

NB. I look forward to Big Mac's debut with the (no doubt) late withdrawal of Gardy, that's a positive either way!
So McEvoy, who is in no form, arguably bad even by VFL standard who is young and very raw, would make you happy if Gards pulled out, but you yet you whinge about reputation and form with players like Gehrig and Goose....? FFS yourself. I looek forward to seeing Mac like anyone else, but dont be hypocritical. By reports he has even less form. Just cause we havnt seen him at AFL level yet and hes a 1st round pick doesn't earn him a spot either.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

:shock: :shock: This can't be real!!
This is a Steven King short of my starting 22...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

it doesnt set a great example CJ has a couragious game saving mark ... gets dropped the next week frase gets sent to the 2nds and does nothing gets recalled fair go Rossy

i know Frase genrally beats up on the tigs cause they have no defence but wouldnt that be a great time to unleash Allen when there is no standout defender to give him a beating ? to give him a shot at being the in the team befor Frase pulls the pin ?

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

who says gardy is even gonna pull out why would he be named if he wasnt fit as well as schneids

Huzzad
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:RL is changing the game plan this week for sure. @ taggers out none in. Expect more open footy.
According to John Barker in the email sent out today, the team will be "working hard to shut down their run" or something to that effect, so Im not sure we will. Usually we paly well against the Tigers, and id love nothing more than to see a repeat of our 1st round NAB cup performance, but seems that the coaching staff are weary of their run....

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see Gehrig play out of the goal square and never leave the attacking 50, when it's in our defensive half he is to wait 40m from home to get the ball from the turn overs, he is a liability when he goes down back and doesn't get back quick enough to give us a target.

Gardiner V Simmonds will be a good match up and Kosi should kill young Pattison, I would expect Birss to tag Foley like he did last year, Baker on N.Brown.

S.Fisher on Richo when he's close to goal, Dempster to cover him around the ground. If Richo wants to roam he will be tagged by Dempster and give Fisher space to rebound aswell, that would be a huge win for us.

Maguire on Polak (if he plays up front), Hudghton to Pettifer??, Bowden maybe if he plays up front.

We really should smash them in the centre, we need to get the ball in quick and direct to Roo and Gehrig...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:actually like the ins & outs,

except who will go on richo....will we see Roo Vs Richo
So, explain to me...what has Gehrig done so far this year, to actually deserve a recall?
He apparently kicked a very good point in Tassie last week.
You obviously have not watched the game in tassie last week! He set up a bag of goals, chased down the opponent. He played well. Does it matter if Gherig or the guy next to him kicks the goal? Just as long as it gets kicked!!

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Wollongong_saint wrote:In my opinion this is the best team we have seen on a Thursday night all year. All that is missing is Steven King, although who knows who would make way for him? Kosi? Surely not.
Absolutely never no matter what. Jeez.

Huzzad
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:
Wollongong_saint wrote:In my opinion this is the best team we have seen on a Thursday night all year. All that is missing is Steven King, although who knows who would make way for him? Kosi? Surely not.
Well I'd drop Birss for King anyday.

Richter
SS Life Member

hotdish wrote: As i've said in other posts, you can't have Blake, Baker, L Fisher and Dempster in the same team. They are all taggers/defenders!
Absolutely agree with this. IMO can't be doing with more than 2 defensive mids i.e. Dempster, Baker - IMO Blake can feel himself unlucky, but Ross obviously believes that Dempster has more offensive upside than JB.

Mid rotations are.....

Jason Gram, Steven Baker, Brendon Goddard, Sean Dempster, Luke Ball, Shane Birss, Nick Dal Santo, Robert Harvey, Stephen Milne, Michael Gardiner, Lenny Hayes, Leigh Montagna, Xavier Clarke, Adam Schneider, David Armitage

Much more able to actually carry out RL's stated game plan. The problem isn't just that the players didn't carry out the proposed game plan - but the players selected did not have the skill to do so.

This is definitely the most attacking line-up we have had all season.

It is probably the closest to a full strength line up also. Now for 10 games more into BJ, Goose and Schneider..... hmmmm... licking my lips! Don't write us off yet!

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

looks good, very glad G is back, bout time too!

with no Blake and Rix, and Gardiner coming back from injury, Kosi i dare say will be spending alot of time in the ruck, so glad Ross isn't gonna rely on Roo to hold down the forward line on his own

hopefully they move the ball quickly and give G some one on one contests, cos hes guarenteed to kick a bag

hopefully Ross also dropped last weeks gameplan.....

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

King ... for birss yes.....

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Huzzad wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:
Yeah, but not Kosi!!! Thats what the point was.

Huzzad
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:
Huzzad wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:
I Know, I was simply refering to the the comment by some user that said who would make way for the King. They obviously forgot Birss was still in the team. Kosi making way for King is just silly.

Wollongong_saint
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:
Huzzad wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:
I wasn't really serious by the way......but in the state we're playing at the moment I don't think anybody should be "safe"......and Gardi and King are both more valuable ruckmen. I love Kosi as a player but he hasn't been effective this year bar a few stand outs in the NAB cup. Swap Birrs for King and all of a sudden we have the same problem we had in early rounds.....two many slow talls. So it's not THAT crazy a suggestion. Kosi need to find some form (hoperfully before he gets injured again)

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

how much more form do u want Kosi in???

he's playing half in the ruck and half in the forward line, kicking 2-3 goals a game.....

:roll:

Wollongong_saint
Club Player

He has been in decent form, but nothing like we have seen in the past........he has worked in spurts but certainly hasn't won us games. King and Gardiner are both better ruckmen and recent history has shown the forward line isn't working (with or without Gehrig). So back to my question......who will be out for King?

I don't think a small will go (although I don't think Birss will last anyway)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

22 goers and 4 points. That is a good starting point.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Wollongong_saint wrote:He has been in decent form, but nothing like we have seen in the past........he has worked in spurts but certainly hasn't won us games. King and Gardiner are both better ruckmen and recent history has shown the forward line isn't working (with or without Gehrig). So back to my question......who will be out for King?

I don't think a small will go (although I don't think Birss will last anyway)
i actually doubt that we'll ever get to the point where we have 0 injuries

and if we do, they'd probably drop Gehrig or Goose, or maybe C Gardiner....

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Goose has a lot to prove. Needs to be able to show he is worthy of a spot in the 22.