Dropping Dal Santo....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintschampions08
Club Player

I'm not calling for Dal Santo to be dropped, i never said that, but i think his performance so far this year has been nothing short of poor.

Tonight, it was drastically terrible.

Whether your being tagged or not, to be a quality midfielder you need to be able to break it.

So far on this years form, Dal has been an average midfielder, i could name 25 midfielders in the comp who have been much better then he has...tonight, he was worse.

I don't understand how he can be defended, especially based on tonights performance. So you're being tagged, is that an excuse for a crap game?.

So it should be acceptable for him to get between 10 and 20 disposals every game this year, and the reason: he was being tagged. No problems.

No, Good players break tags, his inability to do so, shows a poor attitude, determination and work ethic.

It's acceptable for a player to get beaten occasionally, even the best. Ablett got beaten, and beaten up against Freo, but he still did his bit:
He had 15 disposals, 6 tackles, 4 free's for his efforts and a goal. Not a great game, but he tried.
His opponent (tagger) had only 11 disposals, 9 tackles and a goal. So even though Ablett was well beaten in the sense of his game, his direct opponent wasn't allowed to dominate.

In Dal's case, he was killed by Cornes. But that's not only where the problem lies, he only managed 3 tackles to go with his 13 disposals, where was the effort, the chase, the die hard to get the ball attitude?
Cornes on the other hand, destroyed us, 33 disposals -19 kicks,and 3 tackles. Not only did he manage to take Dal out of the game completely, he basically put himself in his spot, it was like having 3 mids V 2 mids.

Completely undependable the way Dal played today. At the very least, he should have been tackling, because if he's being tagged by cornes (this means cornes is on him the whole time), he should be close enough to lay a tackle.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Dropping Dal Santo....

Spinner wrote:
Buckets wrote:
Spinner wrote:Can the moronic St Kilda fans among us, (yes there are a lot, but you all know who you are) STOP calling for Dal Santo to play for Casey.

Is that not the stupidest, most ill-informed statement or view to make. Why don't we just do the opposition a favor. Preventing them from having to worry about some of our best players each week.

There is a reason the best tagger goes to Dal Santo.

The poor first half is enough, without IDIOTS calling for stupid actions.

Please realistically think about the thoughts of the opposition coach on a Thursday night when he reads that Dal Santo has been omitted. It would be laughter, and absolute bemusement. We would look like a joke.

Grow up.

No take the rose coloured glasses off for just one minute...If he is so good of a player as we make him out to be then why is it that he struggles to combat a tagger! Not only that but on the occassions that he gets beaten he gets flogged! Kane had 30 possies, if Dal was so good then why the hell couldnt he stop worrying about getting a touch himself and try stop Kane from getting the ball!
Kane Cornes first priority list tonight.

1 - Stop Dal Santo getting the ball.
2 - Get the ball.

Do you know how hard it actually is to play within the midfield, against a player whose sole objective is to stop you.

Ever wondered why probably the fringe players of each team get tagging role and play mostly defensively?

Its because it requires so little talent. To stop a bloke getting it. Rather than getting it yourself. Solely just running with the same bloke, everywhere. You don't have to worry about opposition players, the bounce of the ball, tap outs, creating space, leading...WHY?

Because your main objective is to STOP. A job given to the worst of midfielders.

Now give that job to a decent midfielder, K Cornes.

He may have had 33 possessions, but in no way where they all quality possessions indicative of his true game. Why, because he was tagging.

Grow up and understand the fundamentals of logic. The best players will always struggle with a tight tight tag. Especially against quality players, sacrificing their own game to stop yours.
Spinner you bag unmercilessly the bottom end of our list but when it comes to NDS you get all uppity.
You only have to understand one thing.
NDS is the laziest "potential" brownlow medalist I have ever seen.
Stop trying to justify your point about taggers, when the stoppers have been getting more footy and had more influence to the outcome to the game than NDS.
He has a problem, and only NDS can sort it out. (or not!) He cant continue in the middle if he isnt prepared to work hard. He cant go forward because he is not a goal kicker, and struggles in an overhead mark. HE cant go back because he doesnt play accountable footy. So we are left in limbo while NDS & RL try to find an answer...

Seeya
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

if he gets dropped see him request a trade

as would i...

he gets tagged every week and is still finding ways to break it...it takes time for players to mature with the skill of effectively breaking tags...plus the other team mates around also learn blocks etc

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

what purpose would it serve dropping dal santo?

there's no doubt he's one of our most talented players and one that the opposition always worries about.

i agree that he can sometimes appear lazy and needs a kick in the a*se, but i don't think excluding him from the team is the answer.

to me he is a natural half forward and should be played in that position.

he's more than capable of kicking a few goals if that is his brief and i think that playing him forward gives his creativity a chance to come to the fore.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

why on earth would u drop him??...

ludicrous

your momma
Club Player

no way hes gonna be a permanent tagger, thats for someone whos willing to p*ss of their man the whole game and reduce his stats to zilch, effecting the gameplay alot. Dally has too much skill and brains, he just hasnt recently been using it.

to drop him for just a week (interstate game prefereably) would be a good idea, just to for a wake up call, like they did with Milne a few times.

wen hes having an off-game, to be a decoy is the solution, like Gerhig would sometimes have to do, but not permanently.

"Im never satisfied...its a curse"
groupie1
Club Player

good one

I love this comment here: 'Grow up and understand the fundamentals of logic.'

I can see one kid tellin' this to another in a playground.
Or what about the logic of fundamentals? Would that not work better.

Dal gets a tag, Cornes gets 33. Not good. So RL needs to use him more creatively. Why not tag the tagger? Play S Baker on Dal's tagger, and let the opposition worry about the match-up.

I think we all need to grow up and submit to the fact that we need to smell the factors of the reasons for the elements lending themselves towards the logical underpinnings of the fundamental causes of our losses.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dropping Dal Santo....

sunsaint wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Buckets wrote:
Spinner wrote:Can the moronic St Kilda fans among us, (yes there are a lot, but you all know who you are) STOP calling for Dal Santo to play for Casey.

Is that not the stupidest, most ill-informed statement or view to make. Why don't we just do the opposition a favor. Preventing them from having to worry about some of our best players each week.

There is a reason the best tagger goes to Dal Santo.

The poor first half is enough, without IDIOTS calling for stupid actions.

Please realistically think about the thoughts of the opposition coach on a Thursday night when he reads that Dal Santo has been omitted. It would be laughter, and absolute bemusement. We would look like a joke.

Grow up.

No take the rose coloured glasses off for just one minute...If he is so good of a player as we make him out to be then why is it that he struggles to combat a tagger! Not only that but on the occassions that he gets beaten he gets flogged! Kane had 30 possies, if Dal was so good then why the hell couldnt he stop worrying about getting a touch himself and try stop Kane from getting the ball!
Kane Cornes first priority list tonight.

1 - Stop Dal Santo getting the ball.
2 - Get the ball.

Do you know how hard it actually is to play within the midfield, against a player whose sole objective is to stop you.

Ever wondered why probably the fringe players of each team get tagging role and play mostly defensively?

Its because it requires so little talent. To stop a bloke getting it. Rather than getting it yourself. Solely just running with the same bloke, everywhere. You don't have to worry about opposition players, the bounce of the ball, tap outs, creating space, leading...WHY?

Because your main objective is to STOP. A job given to the worst of midfielders.

Now give that job to a decent midfielder, K Cornes.

He may have had 33 possessions, but in no way where they all quality possessions indicative of his true game. Why, because he was tagging.

Grow up and understand the fundamentals of logic. The best players will always struggle with a tight tight tag. Especially against quality players, sacrificing their own game to stop yours.
Spinner you bag unmercilessly the bottom end of our list but when it comes to NDS you get all uppity.
You only have to understand one thing.
NDS is the laziest "potential" brownlow medalist I have ever seen.
Stop trying to justify your point about taggers, when the stoppers have been getting more footy and had more influence to the outcome to the game than NDS.
He has a problem, and only NDS can sort it out. (or not!) He cant continue in the middle if he isnt prepared to work hard. He cant go forward because he is not a goal kicker, and struggles in an overhead mark. HE cant go back because he doesnt play accountable footy. So we are left in limbo while NDS & RL try to find an answer...
This is obviously a post based on media hype.

Anyone that has actually watched a game of footy, or at least NDS wouldn't post this tripe.

Cheers.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: good one

groupie1 wrote:I love this comment here: 'Grow up and understand the fundamentals of logic.'

Dal gets a tag, Cornes gets 33. Not good. So RL needs to use him more creatively. Why not tag the tagger? Play S Baker on Dal's tagger, and let the opposition worry about the match-up.

I think we all need to grow up and submit to the fact that we need to smell the factors of the reasons for the elements lending themselves towards the logical underpinnings of the fundamental causes of our losses.
Can you accurately compare each and every Nick Dal Santo possession with on of Cornes?

Pretty easy to get cheap backline possessions that dont account to anything.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Chris Judd should have been dropped after that Saints game he had on Baker where he got 4 possessions.

m_m
Club Player

no way drop dal! he'll lift....he's in my supercoach aswell :roll:

groupie1
Club Player

Re: good one

Spinner wrote:
groupie1 wrote:I love this comment here: 'Grow up and understand the fundamentals of logic.'

Can you accurately compare each and every Nick Dal Santo possession with on of Cornes?

Pretty easy to get cheap backline possessions that dont account to anything.

you mean 'don't amount to anything' and you entirely missed the point of my post

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

did all you guys bagging out Dal see the Geelong-Freo game?

Ablett was continually getting his tagger blocked by his team mates at every opportunity

how many were doing this for Dal???

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.