what one player would you pick to help us win a flag?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markinUSA
SS Life Member

I'd go for a midfielder too. Seems like the game's changed SO much... it's all about possessions, minimizing turnovers, getting to the other end for a flood... so I'm thinking... Ablett? Bartell?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

no-one.
if we cant win a flag with the list we have then theres seriously something wrong upstairs.

but if i HAD to choose....
then it'd be either franklin, chapman (very under-rated) or juddster.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Its funny, i think this thread indirectly addresses one of our problems.

The fact that everyone thinks we need a different positions player (forward, defender or mid) says that we lack a good player in each area.
Neither is really week, but neither is really strong.

But on the point, i'd go for a fit Judd any day.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Aaron Hammill.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Aaron Hammill.
we have had him did he win us a flag....

esaint66
SS Life Member

I wouldnt know who to pick, but if i have to go on recent form then most likely buddy, but then again you have to think that we are looking for someone accurate and i cant help but think back to last season/the season before (my memory is failing me :lol: ) and think about when buddy kicked 2.11 or something and some of the shots he missed were shots most other fowards would kick with a blindfold on.

hAyES
Club Player

Buddy Franklin. Wouldn't think twice. The guy is an absolute freak of nature. There's really no way of stopping him.

esaint66
SS Life Member

hAyES wrote:Buddy Franklin. Wouldn't think twice. The guy is an absolute freak of nature. There's really no way of stopping him.

The only way i can see buddy not makeing it to 100+ goals this season is if he injures himself. He is like tiger woods the only real opposition he has at the monet is himself. :lol:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

geewiz you guys get sucked in by the media !!! no one can play on buddy ?? buddy moves better then anyone in the comp :roll: serioulsy the guys a good player and in the top 5 of the comp but hes not a super human he can be beaten and he can be made to look ordinary .. buddy seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment the fact is you cut off his supply through the midfeild hes as usless and any other forward with crappy delivery

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:geewiz you guys get sucked in by the media !!! no one can play on buddy ?? buddy moves better then anyone in the comp :roll: serioulsy the guys a good player and in the top 5 of the comp but hes not a super human he can be beaten and he can be made to look ordinary .. buddy seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment the fact is you cut off his supply through the midfeild hes as usless and any other forward with crappy delivery
No, the fact is that he is kicking a large amount of goals, and doing it consistantly, beating opponents, tactics and other ploys by opposition.

The fact is that if you don't cut off his supply through the midfield, he is a super star forward kicking the most goals. This is the relavent scenario at the moment, as it's actaully what is happening. It's not like the media are getting too carried away, he has been performing with awsome results for 5 weeks in a row, 5.8 goals a game, with bags of 6,4,5,6,8. I think that a valid reason to get excited.

Carpe Diem
sax
Club Player

Chad Cornes!
Can play Fwd/Mid/Bck

midas_touch
Club Player

Buddy
Ablett
Ling

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Id like to see how many goals Buddy kicks in a losing side - then I can make my judgement on him.

If we could get Fevola, despite his off-field antics, he would be an unbelievable player with a good midfield delivering the ball to him. Yes Carlton have a stronger midfield now however Fev's been kicking goals right through their wooden spoon years.

For the midfield obviously Ablett is a cut above at the moment. However Cox would be the most valuable player as his hitout work will give our midfielders first use of the ball still while gathering 20+ possesions himself.

If we are looking for players to win us a premiership, defenders arent going to be those players. Sure they can help but a good forward or midfielder can basically single handedly win games. Rutten or Glass would be my picks with Scarlett close behind.

Players like Cameron Ling and Brad Sewell are just so handy as well. I'm hoping Baker may also be able to return as a ball winning tagger, he was showing glimpses of that before he was...

If I could pick anyone for our current side it would have to be Ablett, however after proving we were able to change Michael Gardiner (so far) Id be very happy if we made a push for Brendan if he were to be sacked by Carlton for another alcohol related activity.

Saints94
SS Life Member

The Fev Buddy misses to much

but when Fev's on song look out!

ace
Saintsational Legend

First you must get to a Grand Final, then you must win the Grand Final.
Some players players star when their opponent is weak.
There are a few who play their best against top opponents - Robert Harvey, 3 Whtten medals for best Victoria's BOG against the absolute best in the competition.
You then win the grand final by scoring more goals than your opponent.
The Saints great weakness against top teams is not converting inside 50s into goals.
Gehrig is the main culprit he will score enough goals against lower sides to get the saints into the finals but will be beaten in a grand final by a top full back.
We need a forward who always kicks goals against the best defender in the competition.
A young Tony Lockett before his injury problems did just that.
Unfortunately he is no longer available.
The best going around now is clearly Johnathan Brown.
He scores goals against the best defenders even when outnumbered.
He kicks long and straight.
Fevola and Lloyd are wusses against the best defenders.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Daniel Kerr would be nice.

A hard running talented mid with a mean streak...would be very nice in the midfield.

Not sure whether Westaway can match the Cardboard King...or the Mining Barons though....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saint Corin wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:geewiz you guys get sucked in by the media !!! no one can play on buddy ?? buddy moves better then anyone in the comp :roll: serioulsy the guys a good player and in the top 5 of the comp but hes not a super human he can be beaten and he can be made to look ordinary .. buddy seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment the fact is you cut off his supply through the midfeild hes as usless and any other forward with crappy delivery
No, the fact is that he is kicking a large amount of goals, and doing it consistantly, beating opponents, tactics and other ploys by opposition.

The fact is that if you don't cut off his supply through the midfield, he is a super star forward kicking the most goals. This is the relavent scenario at the moment, as it's actaully what is happening. It's not like the media are getting too carried away, he has been performing with awsome results for 5 weeks in a row, 5.8 goals a game, with bags of 6,4,5,6,8. I think that a valid reason to get excited.
point im making is hawthorn are delviering the ball beautiffully to him take buddy out and put Roo in you would have the same result take Roo out of our team and put buddy in he would be nowhere near as effective as he is at the hawks . he cant kick goals if hs team dont pass him the ball . buddy gets most of his marks in one on one contests cause the hawks kick it quickly to him b4 the other team flood back and triple team him and when he is triple teamed they kick to Roughhead who is one on one .... what we do is we mamby pamby the ball around kicking it backwards to get cheep possesions to then bomb it in Roos direction be he one on one , two on one or three on one and just hope he does something off the wall to some how take the mark ... buddy is good but he is only as good as the team around him

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
snippa
Club Player

Danny Kerr

I am the king of the divan