Connex Announcement - what happened?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Walking from the MCG to fed square, Me and my mate saw the bloke on the metal rafter/sheet above the tunnel entrance of the trains. He was on his phone majority of the time and he didn't look completely unstable(mentally) up there.

Though as we stopped to see what was going on. Some bloke next to us yelled out ''JUMP!!'', the cops came over and gave him the spray of a lifetime.

Carpe Diem
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

After the game at Spencer Street station, a connex bloke said someone had climbed up a tower related to the trains somewhere in the Jolimont vercinity, and that caused the negoiations.

What pisses me off most about this is that Telstra Dome obviously knew about the situation, or should have, prior to the game starting.

I was lucky to get there for the opening bounce, after taking 3 trains, but only about 30,000 were there for it.

Why can't they delay the start by, say, up to 15 minutes in situations as extra-ordinary as these?

Surely there is enough flexibility in the TV schedules and council restrictions for a 15 minute delay?

I understand anything more than that is pushing it a bit, but at least it would've meant a few more happier campers.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saint Corin wrote:Walking from the MCG to fed square, Me and my mate saw the bloke on the metal rafter/sheet above the tunnel entrance of the trains. He was on his phone majority of the time and he didn't look completely unstable(mentally) up there.

Though as we stopped to see what was going on. Some bloke next to us yelled out ''JUMP!!'', the cops came over and gave him the spray of a lifetime.
Thanks for that info, backs up what I heard in away.

It's a shame the cops can't devise a method to forceably remove people in these situations....perhaps using nets and/or stun guns.

Surely something can be done to remove the person without permantly injuring them???

Why not bring out some nets over the tracks, and maybe some cushioning, so if he does jump he won't die?

Not good enough Victoria Police....especially when it causes such as massive disruption.

This is not the first time an incident like this has happend recently.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Well the drop woudln't have been that far down. If he jumped, he wouldn't have killed himself unless he landed right on his head and snapped his spine. At worst he would've broken a leg if he jumped normally. Though if there was a train he was landing on it would be a different story.

Purely from observation (i choose my words carefully here). The person almost looked disinterested up there. I percieved it to be that he didn't have any intention of jumping. He wasn't unstable or behaving irrational(beside the face he was where he was). He was talking to the cops and was pretty calm, made a call on his mobile phone, or at least attempted to, sat down for a while and seemed to be thinking things through.

Carpe Diem
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saint Corin wrote:Well the drop woudln't have been that far down. If he jumped, he wouldn't have killed himself unless he landed right on his head and snapped his spine. At worst he would've broken a leg if he jumped normally. Though if there was a train he was landing on it would be a different story.

Purely from observation (i choose my words carefully here). The person almost looked disinterested up there. I percieved it to be that he didn't have any intention of jumping. He wasn't unstable or behaving irrational(beside the face he was where he was). He was talking to the cops and was pretty calm, made a call on his mobile phone, or at least attempted to, sat down for a while and seemed to be thinking things through.
well the silly prick needs to pay for this.

I hope he is fined a considerable amount and sent a bill from Connex for the cost incurred.

All the more reason based on your observations to forceably remove him IMO.....again based on your observations!!!

gooner
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:After the game at Spencer Street station, a connex bloke said someone had climbed up a tower related to the trains somewhere in the Jolimont vercinity, and that caused the negoiations.

What pisses me off most about this is that Telstra Dome obviously knew about the situation, or should have, prior to the game starting.

I was lucky to get there for the opening bounce, after taking 3 trains, but only about 30,000 were there for it.

Why can't they delay the start by, say, up to 15 minutes in situations as extra-ordinary as these?

Surely there is enough flexibility in the TV schedules and council restrictions for a 15 minute delay?

I understand anything more than that is pushing it a bit, but at least it would've meant a few more happier campers.

Coming from the UK i've attended a number of games where kick off was delayed ten minutes or so because of traffic or tube hold-ups. I was listening to the first quarter on the radio as I was jogging up Bourke Street and they were constantly referring to the lack of crowd so it must have been noticable.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
Richter
SS Life Member

SP, I think you may need to consider that this was likely a person who is seriously in crisis. A person who is potentially suicidal like this person is not in their right mind. I would expect that he is currently in a psychiatric facility as an involuntary patient, so perhaps have a bit more charity eh? There was a thread relatively recently on depression - anyone who has ever suffered from depression, and many who haven't, will be readily able to empathise with the mixture of feelings and ambivalence about life that a person with suicidial thoughts experiences.

As for potentially delaying the game - I wondered the same as my mate missed the first one and a half quarters, but it really can't be done as it might then actually provide a perverse incentive to others who might actually get their rocks off by disrupting public events.

As for the police response - my experience is that in these sort of situations the police handle things with a great deal of sensitivity. Yes it could have been managed quicker but then the risk of an adverse outcome would have been much higher. The fact that the person was got down safely is a credit to all involved - likely police and St Vincent's CAT (psychiatric emergency) team. I think it actually a credit on our society that so many people are prepared to put up with so much disruption for the sake of one person's life.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
ace
Saintsational Legend

The two seats next to me were empty up until 5 minutes short of half time.
The guys had walked from Richmond station.
They thought they were lucky because they were able to disembark at the station whilst those on trains in front were trapped.
One of the guys had paid about $80 (MCC member and a guest in level 2 Access One area).
He would like a $40 refund - he only goes to St Kilda-Essendon with his friend and St Kilda-West Coast with his wife.
He was not amused.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Once upon a time we had psychiatric hospitals for these people, but then the politically correct Labor party of the 1980s abolished them.
It was better for them to cared for by their loving families.
You know the same families that are expected to care whilst the government only spends and cares for itself.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

way i see it.......
its your life, and u should be able to do with it what u wish.
but dont go doing anything that disrupts other peoples lifestyles.

glad he was talked down and hopefully he's seen that the probs that made him think that way, didnt seem as bad as he first thought.

in regard to the big net or cushion thing for when people jump......how many people u reckon would then make the threat of jumping to get a thrill of flying from a bridge/window/etc and landing in a big stunt man type airbag?
could seem someone like Knoxville doing that.......and getting a thumping big fine.

The Peanut
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:way i see it.......
its your life, and u should be able to do with it what u wish.
but dont go doing anything that disrupts other peoples lifestyles.

glad he was talked down and hopefully he's seen that the probs that made him think that way, didnt seem as bad as he first thought.
Agree completely that people should be able to snatch their life if they choose to ... in this case though it appears to be a cry for help, otherwise he would have just jumped.

Didn't know their was a problem at all, apart from the connex announcements at the Dome, and here I was swearing and explaining to fellow Sainters from Tassie that this is the sort of public transport we have to put up with.

I didn't have any trouble at the station as I expected and got home quicker than normal - It wasn't until I read here I knew their was a story attached - I guess it doesn't hurt to be as thick as a board sometimes.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i seriously dont envy u guys having to use public transport.......
i drive bloody everywhere.

The Peanut
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:i seriously dont envy u guys having to use public transport.......
... I don't have to use public transport but choose to whenever practical for environmental reasons. Often get pissed off I made the choice though then use the car again for a while until my consience gets the better of me.
One advantage of public transport is you don't have to count your drinks. :wink:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Train much quicker than driving to Docklands.

Why get frustrated in traffic, when you can have a relaxing conversation with fellow Sainters on the way to and from the game.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Train much quicker than driving to Docklands.

Why get frustrated in traffic, when you can have a relaxing conversation with fellow Sainters on the way to and from the game.
Ditto....

Plus I don't have to worry about counting the beers.....particularly if you have few extra in the SC afterwards.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:Train much quicker than driving to Docklands.

yeah, I always threaten to take my car but the truth is a $10 train ticket is better than the $10 I have to pay for extra petrol to get to and back form Melbourne and the $6 or more to park at Crown or elsewhere for a few hours. Train FTW.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:After the game at Spencer Street station, a connex bloke said someone had climbed up a tower related to the trains somewhere in the Jolimont vercinity, and that caused the negoiations.

Strictly football related, is that possibly the worst post ever on Saintsational.

Delaying the game because some fans have been delayed. And with all due respect to the sensitive situation that occurred, asking to delay the start of the match because you and a few others wern't there is only described as pathetic.

Players play the game weather your there or not. Your not paying money to see a performance or a show, this isn't a bloody circus. We are spectators, the game will be played regardless who is there.

Have a think of what is best for the most important aspects of a football match. The players and the coaches. Do you really think it is a realistic idea to delay a football match, and all its processes because fans are missing? Seriously, I'm still trying to comprehend how any ounce of logic could have been involved in that post.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Saint Corin wrote:Well the drop woudln't have been that far down. If he jumped, he wouldn't have killed himself unless he landed right on his head and snapped his spine. At worst he would've broken a leg if he jumped normally. Though if there was a train he was landing on it would be a different story.

well the silly prick needs to pay for this.

I hope he is fined a considerable amount and sent a bill from Connex for the cost incurred.

All the more reason based on your observations to forceably remove him IMO.....again based on your observations!!!
I guess poor posts come in threes.

Poor poor form. But on far with regular society. Only concerned about how situations affect the self, regardless of how insignificant an inconvenience it produces.

Instead of satisfying relief that certain members of public service were able to potentially save a persons life, your only regard is how untimely the police were as it affected a minute period in your life. Time inconvenience at most.

:roll:

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

matrixcutter wrote:i seriously dont envy u guys having to use public transport.......
Some of us don't really have much of a choice. I am in the city 6 days a week and live a 45min-1hour out from the city(depending on traffic). Driving is just not cost effective. Not only petrol, but the price for parking as well.

Carpe Diem
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Update:

The goss I have now been told today by someone that works at Connex is that the individual was someone fleeing from Police....rather than someone seeking self-harm.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Strictly football related, is that possibly the worst post ever on Saintsational.

Delaying the game because some fans have been delayed. And with all due respect to the sensitive situation that occurred, asking to delay the start of the match because you and a few others wern't there is only described as pathetic.

Players play the game weather your there or not. Your not paying money to see a performance or a show, this isn't a bloody circus. We are spectators, the game will be played regardless who is there.

Have a think of what is best for the most important aspects of a football match. The players and the coaches. Do you really think it is a realistic idea to delay a football match, and all its processes because fans are missing? Seriously, I'm still trying to comprehend how any ounce of logic could have been involved in that post.
Thanks Spanner for your thoughts.

As gooner pointed out, it has been done several times in the UK for tube delays etc over there so I don't think it is so stupid.

Perhaps you are the stupid one not opening your eyes to another option?

Just a thought.

Fair dinkum, re-read my post - I suggested a 15 minute delay - not half an hour or an hour - a realistic time frame that would not cause much disruption to player schedules.

Remember also that match lengths can vary by up to 15 minutes - some go for up to 130 minutes whilst other finish after 115 minutes (or even less).

I am paying money to see a performance - a footy match....who the fork do you think pays the players wages? The supporters - through going to the game and wanting to watch it on TV!!!

I reckon your reply is the worst post of the year.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Saint Corin wrote:
Some of us don't really have much of a choice. I am in the city 6 days a week and live a 45min-1hour out from the city(depending on traffic). Driving is just not cost effective. Not only petrol, but the price for parking as well.
no buses or trains where i live :P
i just pay the $1.50 a litre and drive the V8...stuff it

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

This bloke has brought the train network to a virtual standstill...and whatever his state of mind thats what it boiled down to. So..what if the game is delayed by 15 mins or 30 or whatever? You want some copycat clown thinking he can try this every Friday night? The AFL did the right thing starting the game on time imho

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Thanks Spanner for your thoughts.

As gooner pointed out, it has been done several times in the UK for tube delays etc over there so I don't think it is so stupid.

Perhaps you are the stupid one not opening your eyes to another option?

Just a thought.

Fair dinkum, re-read my post - I suggested a 15 minute delay - not half an hour or an hour - a realistic time frame that would not cause much disruption to player schedules.

Remember also that match lengths can vary by up to 15 minutes - some go for up to 130 minutes whilst other finish after 115 minutes (or even less).

I am paying money to see a performance - a footy match....who the fork do you think pays the players wages? The supporters - through going to the game and wanting to watch it on TV!!!

I reckon your reply is the worst post of the year.
Just a few points.

a) Comparing the game of soccer to a game of football. Enough said.

b) The best players would play in the best competition regardless of how many supporters 'paid' to see them. They play footy to play footy....much like the other million or so that do it every weekend in local and state competitions. The large salaries are a bonus because of its popularity....Not a necessity. You are not part of an audience. You are a spectator, hence you spectators a game....Not a performance. Although we don't like to admit it, the game does not revolve around us...We are a major part, but we are not at the center of this game.

c) You clearly don't understand the types of implications ANY delay would have on the greater game. Yes, perfect world suggests that it would be best if most could have been there for the start....but the benefit of delay is muchly consumed by the extreme negatives. Think: Players, Coaches, Umpires, Officials, Present Spectators, Commentators, TV Camermen, Radio Broadcasters, Television Viewers, Radio Listeners.....The list goes on.

Hopefully that makes more sense. :wink:

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The tone of posts to this thread differs quite markedly from that on the (main) Bomber forum (redneck calls for blood). I only went there for sociological purposes (and to see how they were coping with loss). The steadying contributions from moderators helps.