Gerard Healey very perceptive on Saints set-up todays Sun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
meher baba wrote:My recollection is that we tackled extremely well inside the forward 50 in our first couple of games under Lyon, and then gave it away. You can blame the players for this if you like, but surely a more convincing explanation is that it took us a while to shake off the GT style and start using the Ross Lyon one.
Except that our forward 50 problems date back to 2006, if not earlier. Since the end of 2005 we've struggled to win disputed ball inside forward fifty and we haven't done a good job of pressuring opposition defenders as they bring it back out. If we don't mark the ball, it's coming back out.
Since Hamill went down really.
if we play riewoldt chf then put gilbert beside him imo

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
meher baba wrote:My recollection is that we tackled extremely well inside the forward 50 in our first couple of games under Lyon, and then gave it away. You can blame the players for this if you like, but surely a more convincing explanation is that it took us a while to shake off the GT style and start using the Ross Lyon one.
Except that our forward 50 problems date back to 2006, if not earlier. Since the end of 2005 we've struggled to win disputed ball inside forward fifty and we haven't done a good job of pressuring opposition defenders as they bring it back out. If we don't mark the ball, it's coming back out.
Since Hamill went down really.
if we play riewoldt chf then put gilbert beside him imo
Without sounding like a broken record, I'd love to see Dal in the forward 50.

He's a great tackler, knows how to find the ball and is very good overhead.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Without sounding like a broken record, I'd love to see Dal in the forward 50.
Dal is without a doubt at his best when he is delivering the ball inside 50.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Without sounding like a broken record, I'd love to see Dal in the forward 50.
I agree with both of you, so that makes three of us.

But "Rossy" the supercoach thinks the best place for Dal is way, way back in defence. So, get over it, none of us obviously know anything whatsoever about AFL.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Since Hamill went down really.
Didn't help that Guerra was delisted around the same time as Hamill's body was shot either. Add to that the amount of pace Gehrig and Milne it is obvious how much our forward line has gone backwards since 2005.
But "Rossy" the supercoach thinks the best place for Dal is way, way back in defence. So, get over it, none of us obviously know anything whatsoever about AFL.
Don't forget that GT was bagged for playing Dal at half back as well. Obviously both of the coaches want to teach him some accountability (even though it isn't and has never worked).

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Otiman wrote:
i agree with all three of you. have always thought he'd make a great half forward.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
meher baba wrote:
Otiman wrote:
i agree with all three of you. have always thought he'd make a great half forward.
Has to play on the ball but can rest at HFF. As it is our problem is not having enough players to rotate through the middle. We cannot lose another one.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:
Otiman wrote:

I can understand the objective of playing him back. Trying to get him easy possessions and get his vision and efficiency advancing the ball.

Trouble is, Dal's an inside midfielder who puts up numbers like an outside one... but is not terribly good in that outside role. His marking has never been great, he doesn't find the open space to get the ball, his wheels are certainly not the exciting part of his game. Dal's at his best when he gets the ball in a pack and then lets his reflexes find him enough space to hit a target anyway.

It's an odd situation, I'm not sure I can think of another player who is efficient inside that wouldn't be good in the HBF role simply on the back of their skills... but it just doesn't seem to work for Dal. He's actually better off head to head with someone he can beat than he is loose... he'll lose to the Ling's and Kane Cornes' of the world, but otherwise, he'll beat most opponents.

(in brief, add me to the list that want to see him on the HFF if he's not in the middle)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Has to play on the ball but can rest at HFF. As it is our problem is not having enough players to rotate through the middle. We cannot lose another one.
i think there's a bit too much pigeon-holing over what constitutes a midfielder. how about some of the bigger bodied blokes. gilbert, goddard, gram, even sam fisher. why can't we give them a run in there more often? chuck goose in there for 10 minutes to see if he can rough a few of them up even.